Stephen Jones: 'Damn Sure' Won't Be 'Market-Setter' for New Contracts

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yep, Another year with Zeke and another distraction. I hope they stick to the fines to that greedy b@****. He needs to be on the field learning the new offense. This immature clownish crap has me pissed. I wished the dang players wanted to play. Is that too much to ask? Draw the line in the sand and "say when". Zeke will cave in first, The clown will be suspended for doing dumb crap in Cabo, He has already shown he can't control himself being rich.

I am excited about the new OC and this crap happens. I hope someone kicks sand into Zeke's Piña colada. The man has two lawsuits against him, been suspended and has made more money than the dang starting QB. It is easy to tell who is a good teammate. I would back the Brinks truck up and pay the good teammates first. Jones, Brown, Cooper, Dak and everyone else that want to win. I would pay everyone except Zeke.

Spoiled millennial, I wished he had to work like I have for the past 50 years. He has more dang money now than he can ever spend. He should have to work like us common folk.

So, this rant is more about you than what is actually going on between the player and the team, hmm???

Fire407

Reaction score
The problem is that their agents heard Jerry say that we all would be surprised at the amount he would be willing to spend to get another Super Bowl win. He indicated that money was no object.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The problem is the Jets, the Raiders, and the Vikings will always exist. Teams who'll give FA's whatever they want, and then Zeke can just say "trade me to Miami, i know they'll give me 17 a year. I'm not playing for you anymore unless you match that"

It'll always be the case

It seems to me that the most successful teams are those that operate in like manner of the Patriots. Those that don't lack continuity.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones made that much clear Wednesday when discussing pending extensions for running back Ezekiel Elliott, quarterback Dak Prescott and receiver Amari Cooperon 96.7 KTCK The Ticket (h/t USA Today's Jori Epstein):

"We've got three really good football players that we're dealing with here and that have very good representation. And they want to see the market. We can't push the issue unless we want to be a market-setter. And we're damn sure not going to be a market-setter.

"We want to be fair. We want our players to feel good about their contract. But at the same time, we don't want to do things that are out of line because we can't afford to be that way."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-sure-wont-be-market-setter-for-new-contracts
Probably the smartest thing a Jones has said. Put it out there that Zeke isn't getting Gurley money, Dak isn't getting Wilson money, and Cooper isn't getting Thomas money.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
It seems to me that the most successful teams are those that operate in like manner of the Patriots. Those that don't lack continuity.

While I would agree, the patriots are always an outlier. Philadelphia had the highest paid RT in the world when he signed his deal, and Cox was a top 2-3 biggest contract DT. Kelce is currently the highest paid center I believe, and we definitely have the most expensive DT duo and one of the highest paid Olines. Denver shelled out massive money to Manning, Ward, Ware, Talib and Demaryius Thomas in 2012-2014. Seahawks are considered one of the most frugal teams and just made Bobby Wagner the highest paid LB ever.

And that's the last 3 SB winners not named NE. Put together the best roster you can, using the entire salary cap. If you're better with 16m$ worth of role players than 16m$ worth of Ezekiel Elliot, then don't pay him. But if Zeke makes you a contender, if Zeke is your great advantage other people don't have, then I don't get what this whole pissing contest is going to achieve for Dallas. Because if you don't want to pay him the biggest contract any of us has ever seen, 5+ other teams will be waiting for him to finally break free, cash in hand. And then you can give that 16 million to Alfred Morris and some other still available FA's and cross your fingers.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Fine not to set the market on Dak or Cooper as they aren't the top players in the league at their positions.

Zeke .... harder to make that argument. Dude averages 100 yards per game rushing and just had 2000 total yards last year.

You can whine about how he's one incident from a long suspension but since you don't pay suspended players and you can recoup bonus money, that's a non argument.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Yep, Another year with Zeke and another distraction. I hope they stick to the fines to that greedy b@****. He needs to be on the field learning the new offense. This immature clownish crap has me pissed. I wished the dang players wanted to play. Is that too much to ask? Draw the line in the sand and "say when". Zeke will cave in first, The clown will be suspended for doing dumb crap in Cabo, He has already shown he can't control himself being rich.

I am excited about the new OC and this crap happens. I hope someone kicks sand into Zeke's Piña colada. The man has two lawsuits against him, been suspended and has made more money than the dang starting QB. It is easy to tell who is a good teammate. I would back the Brinks truck up and pay the good teammates first. Jones, Brown, Cooper, Dak and everyone else that want to win. I would pay everyone except Zeke.

Spoiled millennial, I wished he had to work like I have for the past 50 years. He has more dang money now than he can ever spend. He should have to work like us common folk.
Whoa! Whoaaaa! Let’s calm down BT. I love ya like a bro, but we need calm heads here. We’ll be fine.

Now I feel better. Kinda felt like I danced around this and candy-coated the **** out of this.

Go Cowboys!

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Lawrence was a different issue. Pass rush is extremely high on the Jones' priority list. Lawrence was always going to be retained unless he wanted like 25M/year or more. JJ/SJ have long complained from 2013-16 that the reason we didn't win the championship was because we couldn't pressure and sack the enemy QB.

Also Lawrence is a high character tenacious worker. Zeke is the kind of guy who knows he's super athletic and could show up out of shape on September 3rd and be the best back on the team on opening day. He's like the guy all the non-elite players in high school hate because he shows up to practice the day before the season starts and he gets a spot ahead of all the hard working kids who were there busting their butts for the past 2 months.
Sounds like a certain CB Jerry gave millions to in 1995.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Camp is barely a week old and once again drama dominates the headlines for the Cowboys. Yeah, this is our year - Super Bowl or bust!

My money is on "bust", again. It's an odd-numbered year, isn't it?

Where’s the drama though? The one guy holding out who’s going to have to report anyway? Everyone else is in camp and working.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Camp is barely a week old and once again drama dominates the headlines for the Cowboys. Yeah, this is our year - Super Bowl or bust!

My money is on "bust", again. It's an odd-numbered year, isn't it?
It's what I keep saying. Drama always happens in odd numbered years.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dak and Amari are getting paid in Dallas. Zeke is likely either gonna cave and show up,or he will be at home.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Whoa! Whoaaaa! Let’s calm down BT. I love ya like a bro, but we need calm heads here. We’ll be fine.

Now I feel better. Kinda felt like I danced around this and candy-coated the **** out of this.

Go Cowboys!
5a83486740e81e927f247f15c50dac80.gif

Rayman70

Reaction score
I agree with Stephen Jones. Zeke is under contract for 2 darn years. That's REALLY what he is saying. He's saying, we already have to pay Dak and Amari...we are not breaking the cap for a guy who is already under contract 2 years. I agree.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just talk.......unless he gets something done fast with at least one, all hell breaking loose coz he only has one tag next year. This is what gets me about Stephen. It's not like these contracts just showed up at his door unexpectedly. He's known for years this was coming but his " deadline closes deals" style may bite him in the zxx coz he's close to backing himself into a corner. Yet now he wanna blame the players and their agents by playing the fan card. Don't think for a min he's not aware, as every owner that fans HATE seeing player haggle over money. It's no secret they almost always side with owners/teams. Not my words, read it at least a couple years ago from two different former GMs.

Last edited: