Stephen Jones doesn’t know how to manage the CAP

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wasted 11 million on tagging a bottom top 10 TE and then proceeds not to workout a contract. Why tag him in the 1st first place and let Amari go?

Meanwhile SB champs and 2x SB appearance in the same decade gets to keep their core player while adding depth via FA.

This season failure will be all due to Stephen Jones.
I knew better than to click on this thread and yes I did anyway.

*deep sigh*

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I use to think he/she was posting becasue he/she wanted to troll.

But now I realize he/she isn't trying to troll or be comedic. I can only assume he/she wants attention for being stupid. Which is granted.
That is so PC, you can walk a fence my friend.

plasticman

Reaction score
Using the Rams as a counter-example of the Cowboys cap behavior ignores the history lessons we hope the Jones's have learned.

The Rams realize they have a special roster capable of going back to back. They have to seize the moment even if it means cap purgatory for 3-5 seasons afterwards. They have truly traded their future for the present because they consider risk/reward factor to be favorable. After all, how much longer are they going to have Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey playing together in their prime? Donald is going into his 9th season and I don't care how durable a D-lineman is, that's a lot of battles against a double team of 300 pound behemoths.

There is just one major flaw:

They are also banking on a repeat of similar injury issues, team motivation and focus. That is rare indeed.

As a Cowboys fan I realize that, although you may actually have the most talented roster in the league, there is a required degree of luck involved. This is particularly true when it comes to things like injuries and off the field issues. A team can be relatively healthy one season and then devastated by a sequence of injuries the very next season. There has been times when that has been the Cowboys main theme.

If this should happen to the Rams then they would come away with nothing except an empty future, having given away their premium draft picks as well as future cap money. That's the risk part.

Stephen Jones, or whoever really does the salary cap formula and passes it on to Stephen, is doing what he must because there is no viable replacement for Schultz at his present level of productivity.

This is not to say that Schultz is elite or even a top ten. That's just how pathetic the Cowboys TE squad really is. They simply didn't address it, and that could be a function of the present cap structure. In any case, they realized that the first wave of veteran free agency involves inflated contracts.
Some teams will do it if they feel they are filling in the last missing piece. They might even be desperate and their need call for experience and a proven level of productivity. Let's face it, the draft will always be a gamble, there have been "can't miss" players that completely busted.

The Cowboys didn't want to go the route of veteran free agency, so far. They also didn't really address it in the draft. Taking a TE in the 4th round in the hopes of landing a starter is unrealistic to say the least. It's not even a true 4th round pick. The supplemental picks have diluted the talent level expected of these draft picks. Ferguson was the 129th pick. Well, four full rounds of 32 teams is 128 picks. Don't get me wrong he could surprise.....actually shock. But that's not a viable strategy for filling a need.

Therefore, the Cowboys recognize that Schultz is very capable and opportunistic. However he is not an elite TE, the type you build an offense around. If Dak were to get more time to pass the ball deeper you would see a dropoff in Schultz's numbers. He is not much of a deep threat,
his average yards per catch is on the low end for starting TE's.

So the best thing for the Cowboys to do is either sign him to a "team friendly" contract or pay him franchise money for one season and see what develops later.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For the 2024 season the rams are 41 million over the projected cap. Now cap may go up higher than projected but generally these projections are pretty accurate
You can do lots of things for a period of time but it eventually catches up to you and it’s rarely worked
It worked for the rams but it’s failed more than it’s worked

The Eagles got 1 Super Bowl win doing it, which made it a good move; however, as you indicated, most teams that tried this approach failed including the Cowboys in the Romo era.

Belichick often took the exact opposite approach. He would often trade away or not re-sign top quality players. Yes, he signed an occasional big contract free agent, but in general it was the steady approach from year to year.

conner01

Reaction score
The Eagles got 1 Super Bowl win doing it, which made it a good move; however, as you indicated, most teams that tried this approach failed including the Cowboys in the Romo era.

Belichick often took the exact opposite approach. He would often trade away or not re-sign top quality players. Yes, he signed an occasional big contract free agent, but in general it was the steady approach from year to year.
Bellicheck thinks long term
He is all business
No one is safe and I think that edge helps him get the most out of his players
I think the Jones’s make players to comfortable
The fear of getting benched or cut is a pretty good motivator lol

Flamma

Reaction score
Did he really? Land sakes alive, what a moron.

That sort of stuff needs to be kept in house. Unless you suck really bad at GM and need a scapegoat!!!!!

He did at a press conference, joking around.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
yes, most players don’t want to have just a year remaining on their contract because injury could end their career. Just looking out for what’s best for him and his family. It’s a short term job with tons of pay while you got it. I’ll have a problem with him not practicing once it’s required.
yeah, 11 mil for one year , would be great for us normal folk !
But he knows nothing about that, and looks at what others around him are making, and wants some of that too.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
How are Rams signing all these players?
What CAP strategy are they using to fit all these contracts?
The same strategy we used to give 4 lineman top of the market contracts while having Dez/Witt/Carr/Amari/etc.

Only differenc eis Rams won a superbowl. Pre last year....they weren't exactly setting the league on fire. Before winning it all last year they had 10 and 9 win seasons respectively. Not exactly setting the league on fire.

We do a lot of revisionist history with teams.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score

27 years of waiting isn’t enough for you?