Twitter: Stephen Jones hinting Gerald McCoy return?

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
In a perfect world, I'd like us to draft one of the big DT's. Sign McCoy and see if he has anything left. And use him as a mentor for the 3 young guys. ( Hill, Gallimore, and draft pick). That's the role I see him having, and feel he would embrace it at this point in his career.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Gallimore has played very well for a rookie
Playing a third of the snaps he has 24 tackles and 4 QB hit
That’s pretty good
I don’t get why Anae hasn’t got more snaps
I know they like Armstrong but to me aldon has played too many snaps and that’s why his production dropped off so much
I think more snaps for Anae could have helped Aldon

The results at DT don't look "very well" to me.

I can see them wanting to give Aldon more snaps to develop him as someone with a higher ceiling than Anae. But his diminishing effectiveness does suggest he's playing more than his body can handle. He hasn't played in years. Giving him a full NFL load is probably a mistake. Going to the gym is just not preparation for the pounding you take in games.

I'm big on giving developing players *some* snaps. The marginal utility of *some* snaps for Anae is much higher than for Armstrong or Aldon. Unless they're convinced he just really stinks and will never amount to anything.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If Hill and McCoy are the future, expect more below average defense. The real future for this defense is probably on a college campus right now.

Yep. Hill is heading into his 3rd year coming off knee injury and never looking better than a development project. McCoy was already older and declining, and next year will be a year still older and coming off injury and a missed season.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Am I missing something? Wasn’t McCoy the one who had a clause in his contract because the cowboy knew he had knee issues?
It wasn't the knee but the thigh, but yeah, they specifically protected themselves against the injury which occurred.

Will it be better next year? Maybe. I'd give McCoy a chance, but not much guaranteed money, and I'd be drafting DTs.

conner01

Reaction score
The results at DT don't look "very well" to me.

I can see them wanting to give Aldon more snaps to develop him as someone with a higher ceiling than Anae. But his diminishing effectiveness does suggest he's playing more than his body can handle. He hasn't played in years. Giving him a full NFL load is probably a mistake. Going to the gym is just not preparation for the pounding you take in games.

I'm big on giving developing players *some* snaps. The marginal utility of *some* snaps for Anae is much higher than for Armstrong or Aldon. Unless they're convinced he just really stinks and will never amount to anything.
I don’t know the rational for not playing Anae
To think a 31 year old who hasn’t played in 5 years was ready for 70% of snaps is crazy
Had the limited him and let him get back in football shape I think it would have helped a lot
I watched Anea at Sr bowl and I think he can be a better player than Armstrong but we will never know till he gets on the field and it’s not like a numbers issue
Early on he played some special teams but only got 6 defensive snaps

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here’s a hint: Stephen Jones is not very good at roster building or talent assessment. A chip off the old block.

Last edited: