Twitter: Stephen Jones hinting Gerald McCoy return?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Seems like this FO's type of move; part lazy, part wanting to be vindicated for signing him last year.

Short of him signing for the veteran's minimum, I'd move on from the soon to be 33 year old defensive tackle, whose play has been trending down the past several years.

Go sign and draft some lunch pail type 1Tech's. Don't overspend on a "name" player who is well past his prime.

2021 free agent:
Dalvin Tomlinson, Giants (6'3" 317, Age 27, 75.5 PFF grade)
USATSI_13330349.jpg

Pro's - Aggressive run stuffer, under 30, hurts rival Giants while helps Cowboys run D
Con's - Won't be cheap

2021 possible free agent/cap casualty:
Malcolm Brown, Saints (6'2" 320, Age 27, 72.5 PFF grade)
914346892.jpg.jpg

Pro's - 1Tech with flashes of 3 Tech quickness, under 30, played on winning teams 2 Super Bowl rings, may want to return to home state
Con's - Saints would have to cut him, which could be likely since they are currently projected to be around $70M over next year's cap, Saints can save $5M by moving on from him, might have to trade for him

2021 draft
Jordan Davis, Georgia (6'5" 330, 73.6 PFF grade -78.1 rush defense)
2b3c10c0-e793-4d78-87db-b8868ca12c5f.jpg

Pro's - Huge, massive kid with sneaky athleticism
Con's - Like most tall DT's tends to stand up and play too high, needs to develop better hands and pas rush moves, will be overdrafted

Tedarrell Slaton, Florida (6'5" 358, 69.4 PFF grade)
12705866_web1_UT-Martin-Florida-Football-2-.jpg

Pro's - Another big guy who's 358 lbs are equally distributed (not fat), good gap discipline, eats double teams
Con's - 2-down guy, balance can be goofy sometimes

Khyiriis Tonga, BYU (6'4" 322, 71.7 PFF grade)
AP20271135012239.jpg

Pro's - Great base and hands,equally good at taking away running and passing lanes
Con's - Can play undisciplined sometimes and will allowed himself to stay blocked, has the violent hands to disengage from blocking so you'd like to see him use them more
*He just signed with David Canter who has a history of working well with Cowboys FO.

Marlon Tuipulotu, USC (6'3" 305, 74.9 PFF grade)

Pro's - Monster season with Jay Tufele opting out and Brandon Pili missing games due to injury, plays with 1Tech strength and 3Tech quickness
Con's - Not really a true 1Tech or 3Tech, played multiple spots in diverse USC scheme, missed games in 2017 and 2020 due to injuries

conner01

Reaction score
I’d settle for a pick in the first 3 rounds that’s not some hair brained kid that couldn’t start on his own team nor get along with the coaches. Don’t care that there’s not a lot of them determine which one’s you think are good and get one!
I don’t want to pass a better player to fill a need
But like Gallimore there are players in every round
One thing I loved about Gallimore is effort
I think in a couple years he can be a good player
He may never be a pro bowler but if a guy gives effort and has the mindset to become a better player you can atleast get all he has out of him
Like bill bates, never super talented but showed up and played hard at 100% every snap
You get those guys and it becomes infectious

conner01

Reaction score
Seems like this FO's type of move; part lazy, part wanting to be vindicated for signing him last year.

Short of him signing for the veteran's minimum, I'd move on from the soon to be 33 year old defensive tackle, whose play has been trending down the past several years.

Go sign and draft some lunch pail type 1Tech's. Don't overspend on a "name" player who is well past his prime.

2021 free agent:
Dalvin Tomlinson, Giants (6'3" 317, Age 27, 75.5 PFF grade)
USATSI_13330349.jpg

Pro's - Aggressive run stuffer, under 30, hurts rival Giants while helps Cowboys run D
Con's - Won't be cheap

2021 possible free agent/cap casualty:
Malcolm Brown, Saints (6'2" 320, Age 27, 72.5 PFF grade)
914346892.jpg.jpg

Pro's - 1Tech with flashes of 3 Tech quickness, under 30, played on winning teams 2 Super Bowl rings, may want to return to home state
Con's - Saints would have to cut him, which could be likely since they are currently projected to be around $70M over next year's cap, Saints can save $5M by moving on from him, might have to trade for him

2021 draft
Jordan Davis, Georgia (6'5" 330, 73.6 PFF grade -78.1 rush defense)
2b3c10c0-e793-4d78-87db-b8868ca12c5f.jpg

Pro's - Huge, massive kid with sneaky athleticism
Con's - Like most tall DT's tends to stand up and play too high, needs to develop better hands and pas rush moves, will be overdrafted

Tedarrell Slaton, Florida (6'5" 358, 69.4 PFF grade)
12705866_web1_UT-Martin-Florida-Football-2-.jpg

Pro's - Another big guy who's 358 lbs are equally distributed (not fat), good gap discipline, eats double teams
Con's - 2-down guy, balance can be goofy sometimes

Khyiriis Tonga, BYU (6'4" 322, 71.7 PFF grade)
AP20271135012239.jpg

Pro's - Great base and hands,equally good at taking away running and passing lanes
Con's - Can play undisciplined sometimes and will allowed himself to stay blocked, has the violent hands to disengage from blocking so you'd like to see him use them more
*He just signed with David Canter who has a history of working well with Cowboys FO.

Marlon Tuipulotu, USC (6'3" 305, 74.9 PFF grade)

Pro's - Monster season with Jay Tufele opting out and Brandon Pili missing games due to injury, plays with 1Tech strength and 3Tech quickness
Con's - Not really a true 1Tech or 3Tech, played multiple spots in diverse USC scheme, missed games in 2017 and 2020 due to injuries
We need a couple of Samoans

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
How many 3Ts you think this team will carry??

McCoy
Hill
Gallimore

They will think we are good there, plus we just spent a 2nd and 3rd in back to back drafts on one

On McCoy, he's a year older, and coming back from injury. Hill and Gallimore haven't shown much to get excited about. Hill will be in his third year coming back from knee surgery too, and was drafted under Marinelli, and is more of a match for Marinelli's simplistic, downhill style. Gallimore seems like another fit for Marinelli, one gapper with speed and motor. A fit for his LDT.

If there's a guy we like better, we could trade any of those guys away and not cry about it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I don’t want to pass a better player to fill a need
But like Gallimore there are players in every round
One thing I loved about Gallimore is effort
I think in a couple years he can be a good player
He may never be a pro bowler but if a guy gives effort and has the mindset to become a better player you can atleast get all he has out of him
Like bill bates, never super talented but showed up and played hard at 100% every snap
You get those guys and it becomes infectious

Combine Gallimore's speed, motor, and hustle, and he should get sacks and pressures when the pocket breaks down. With Gregory and Lawrence on the edges, should be a lot of pockets breaking down.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Need to let it go man. he was a project and probably shouldn't have been drafted in the second round but he's here now and he has gotten better each year.
He was just like Chris Jones. A guy with 1st round talent that didn't fully develop in college. Jones is one of the best in the league for KC. It's still up in the air for Hill or Gallimore for that matter.

conner01

Reaction score
Combine Gallimore's speed, motor, and hustle, and he should get sacks and pressures when the pocket breaks down. With Gregory and Lawrence on the edges, should be a lot of pockets breaking down.
I fell in love with Gallimore at sr bowl
And Anea

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I fell in love with Gallimore at sr bowl
And Anea

I liked Gallimore as a pick, but I don't see that he's performed that well.

I haven't looked into Anae much, but he looked good in limited snaps, so I would have been playing him until that stopped.

Maybe he's worse than Armstrong for his first game. Fine. Go back to Armstrong. But ride the hot hand until it ain't hot no more.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I’d rather prioritize a 1T in free agency. Roll with gallimore at 3T and wouldn’t oppose woods as a backup and a 1st-3rd round draft pick on a DT to compete with gallimore.

starfan1

Reaction score
Am I missing something? Wasn’t McCoy the one who had a clause in his contract because the cowboy knew he had knee issues?

if he isn’t coaching there’s no place for him here. The FO never seems to shock me with their stupidity I’m hoping this is just the PR side of Steven and he isn’t serious about anything beyond sideline duty

conner01

Reaction score
I liked Gallimore as a pick, but I don't see that he's performed that well.

I haven't looked into Anae much, but he looked good in limited snaps, so I would have been playing him until that stopped.

Maybe he's worse than Armstrong for his first game. Fine. Go back to Armstrong. But ride the hot hand until it ain't hot no more.
Gallimore has played very well for a rookie
Playing a third of the snaps he has 24 tackles and 4 QB hit
That’s pretty good
I don’t get why Anae hasn’t got more snaps
I know they like Armstrong but to me aldon has played too many snaps and that’s why his production dropped off so much
I think more snaps for Anae could have helped Aldon