News: Stephen Jones: Jason Garrett's turning into a great coach; 'he's the hardest worker in the building'

CCBoy

Reaction score
Stephen Jones: Jason Garrett's turning into a great coach; 'he's the hardest worker in the building'
http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...s-turning-great-coach-hardest-worker-building

Before Bill Belichick led the New England Patriots to four Super Bowl victories, he spent five seasons as head coach in Cleveland. The Browns were a combined 36-44 in the regular season and 1-1 in the playoffs during that time.

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones recently referenced the early part of Belichick's career while answering a question about Jason Garrett.

In five and a half seasons as the Cowboys head coach, Garrett has compiled a 45-43 regular season record and a 1-1 postseason mark.

"First of all, I think Jason is one of the up and coming coaches in this league. We're fortunate to have him," Jones said Friday morning on CBS Sports Radio's Tiki and Tierney Show. "I think obviously Jason went through some growing pains. If you look at some of the great coaches in this league, I mean, Belichick's first stop was not necessarily what we think of when you think of Bill Belichick.

"[Garrett] has all the skillsets, it's just a matter of getting seasoned and I think he's at that point. ... I do think he's turning into a great football coach. I just think he's come so far. I think it's all in front of him and he's only going to get better."...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"[Garrett] has all the skillsets, it's just a matter of getting seasoned and I think he's at that point. ... I do think he's turning into a great football coach. I just think he's come so far. I think it's all in front of him and he's only going to get better."...
http://i899.***BLOCKED***/albums/ac195/pew_pew/General/awesome.jpg

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Stephen Jones: Jason Garrett's turning into a great coach; 'he's the hardest worker in the building'

Nothing like OTJ training. That special sauce makes great coach seasoning.

CCBoy

Reaction score
No no. It's a more a "here we go" into the next 90 page Garret's good Garrett sucks debate lol.
I'm not trying to give you a hard time, here. That was my direction of comment. Why should they?

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
I have felt that for Garrett to be considered a good coach, it would be his next stop after the Cowboys.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I have felt that for Garrett to be considered a good coach, it would be his next stop after the Cowboys.
Not sure how he is worthy of another chance at this point. If he gets fired after another non playoff season...he would have no business jumping to the front of the line for coach searches. There are plenty of guys who have resumes far superior to Garret's that he should have to wait behind. Many would argue that his resume prior to be hired by the Cowboys was not robust enough to get the job in the first place. And so far...he has proven them right!

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Not sure how he is worthy of another chance at this point. If he gets fired after another non playoff season...he would have no business jumping to the front of the line for coach searches. There are plenty of guys who have resumes far superior to Garret's that he should have to wait behind. Many would argue that his resume prior to be hired by the Cowboys was not robust enough to get the job in the first place. And so far...he has proven them right!

I think that's up to the teams doing the hiring. I'm not sure where this"line" is you reference.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Lipstick on a pig

Garrett still sucks. Just look at his record.
If he was available there's not a single team that would consider hiring him.

There's no proof of that and the record for Jason and why it is reasonable were both provided...

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
ptqXllF.gif

Garrett is as good of a coach as I am an olympic swimmer

Sydla

Reaction score
He's a .500 coach. Up until now, people have made excuses for him. And that's fine.

But if this team can't make the playoffs in 2016 that would mean Garrett has led the Cowboys to 1 playoff appearance in 6 years. In a lot of places, that gets you fired.

I think the Jones family is trying to convince themselves Garrett is a great coach because Garrett plays by the Jones' rules.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
Having been photographed laughing it up with Art Briles, Stephen had to make the obligatory "vote of confidence" statement. Means nothing. A bad season and Garrett is gone. Briles said he expects to have a coaching job by November or December. By then, Garret's fate may be decided.