News: Stephen Jones: Jason Garrett's turning into a great coach; 'he's the hardest worker in the building'

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Jason Garrett seems like a really good dude. He's positive, he's a players guy, and he is well spoken. The only thing that's missing is any actual evidence of him being a good NFL coach. He either is on board with the dysfunction of this team created by Jerry, or he accepts it, and neither of those is a quality I want in a head coach. It was a decent idea, he had the look and the qualities of a head coach...it just didn't work. If they don't win this year, the team needs to move on.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
You don't feel that the Cowboys are deserving right back up there with the likes of New England?

If one believes that he can become over the same period of time that also applied to Tom Landry, the why not expect the best as well?
:facepalm:

CCBoy

Reaction score
That's why I referred to it as lipstick on a pig.
It's utter hogwash.
Garrett sucks and anyone trying to say otherwise is blatantly uninformed or delusional.
He sucks.

Let me see three picture ID's and three one hundred dollar bills...to check if they are counterfit. Lot have been going around recently...:)

Sydla

Reaction score
You don't feel that the Cowboys are deserving right back up there with the likes of New England?

If one believes that he can become over the same period of time that also applied to Tom Landry, the why not expect the best as well?

LOL.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From an X's and O's standpoint and making the necessary changes/adjustments at halftime etc., Garrett is below average to say the least. Not a fan of his offensive scheme. It's not at all in line with the game and rules of today. I suppose it could be worse, but if this offense (if everyone stays healthy) doesn't finish in the top 5 at worst this year, I really don't know what excuses can be made on behalf of the guy. The offense is simply STACKED with talent.

Aven8

Reaction score
JG is a coach speak artist.

He says all the right things, his message, the process, looks the part, smart, etc but when it comes to actual coaching he's lousy.

The old Belichek wasn't good in Cleveland deal is a joke as well. BB was a SB winning DC witht Parcells and is the best coach arguably in history.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From an X's and O's standpoint and making the necessary changes/adjustments at halftime etc., Garrett is below average to say the least. Not a fan of his offensive scheme. It's not at all in line with the game and rules of today. I suppose it could be worse, but if this offense (if everyone stays healthy) doesn't finish in the top 5 at worst this year, I really don't know what excuses can be made on behalf of the guy. The offense is simply STACKED with talent.

His offenses are typically very efficient. That won't change if everybody is healthy so there'll be no need for excuses.

It's the defense that struggles because we've lacked playmakers on defense. When that changes, fan sentiment re Jason Garrett will change again and we'll be back to considering him an NFL head coach of the year candidate like we did in 2014.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
So is the bagger with Downs at HEB.

A little unPC humor, guys. Don't get your underwear in a bunch.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
His offenses are typically very efficient. That won't change if everybody is healthy so there'll be no need for excuses.

It's the defense that struggles because we've lacked playmakers on defense. When that changes, fan sentiment re Jason Garrett will change again and we'll be back to considering him an NFL head coach of the year candidate like we did in 2014.

People thought he was good in 2014? Why?

Are we going to give him coach of the year because Jerry pimp slapped him out of his OC job?

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
He's average at best. As long as the fans have a sliver of hope, Cowboys remain relevant and AT&T Stadium remains packed. He's gonna be here. But hey even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Garret's offense SHOULD be typically very efficient. He's had Romo to work his entire tenure as head coach......a top 6-7 QB, Top 3-4 WR, top 5 TE. He's had a very good OL now for several years. A coach of the year candidate doesn't go 0-7 when his QB goes down, not with that OL.

At any rate, we agree to disagree, I'm just touching the surface. ;)

CCBoy

Reaction score

I don't give a pass for crying in one's beer, myself...this defense is pointed up. With just a solid defense and a good offense, mix that with the level of schedule this season...well, if one can't also sense the opportunity to compete solidly for the NFC East, then one is purely a pessimist. That then is on him. Not Jason, Jerry, or Lawrence for that matter.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Garret's offense SHOULD be typically very efficient. He's had Romo to work his entire tenure as head coach......a top 6-7 QB, Top 3-4 WR, top 5 TE. He's had a very good OL now for several years. A coach of the year candidate doesn't go 0-7 when his QB goes down, not with that OL.

At any rate, we agree to disagree, I'm just touching the surface. ;)

Nope? Then explain away a similar result with Wade Phillips and he didn't lose his starting quarterback, receiver, and cornerback.

To point, reasons create situations...not categories to blame. There are different accumulative points. But for the record, you saying that both Garrett and Phillips were both without merit while having 12 win seasons? Careful now...

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People thought he was good in 2014? Why?

Are we going to give him coach of the year because Jerry pimp slapped him out of his OC job?

I can't answer for why he was getting the coach of the year talk, but I've already explained many times why I think he's a very good coach. We're unlikely to ever agree on the topic.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Garrett is a great talker and can rub elbows with the best of em. he won't be out of a job for long in the good Ole boy nfl coaching fraternity

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett is a great talker and can rub elbows with the best of em. he won't be out of a job for long in the good Ole boy nfl coaching fraternity

I think that's probably pretty accurate, too.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I can't answer for why he was getting the coach of the year talk, but I've already explained many times why I think he's a very good coach. We're unlikely to ever agree on the topic.

Probably.. Although I do think he provides good structure through the week but game days he is useless from a strategic standpoint.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Who's asking for excuses then?