News: Stephen Jones: Jason Garrett's turning into a great coach; 'he's the hardest worker in the building'

CCBoy

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Like blonds? She has some 'socially redeemable' features I would say...and hoooah for US volleyball!

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Buyer's remorse, possibly.

Remember, he got his extension before last year's debacle. And recall that Jones himself said it was unacceptable that we didn't win more games with Romo being out. That was a subtle but direct shot at the coaching staff.

Was it? Both Jonses and Jason have each said that the blame for last season belongs with all of them. I'm sure they feel that way (as they should). It says something that in spite of that Stephen is coming out strong in favor of the coach like this.

Whether fans accept it or not, they like Jason Garrett and what he's doing. Everything they say and do makes that obvious. And the only way to believe otherwise is to assume they're outright lying and to assume they wish now they could go back and do the opposite of what they did with his contract last offseason. At some point you have to acknowledge they don't feel the same way some of the fans in this board do about their head coach.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is the only coach I have ever seen who iced his own kicker. He may work hard, but as far as I'm concerned he's smart with no common sense.

This is a reference to him calling the timeout his ST coordinator asked for as the play was starting in the AZ game several years back, I assume?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Was it? Both Jonses and Jason have each said that the blame for last season belongs with all of them. I'm sure they feel that way (as they should). It says something that in spite of that Stephen is coming out strong in favor of the coach like this.

Whether fans accept it or not, they like Jason Garrett and what he's doing. Everything they say and do makes that obvious. And the only way to believe otherwise is to assume they're outright lying and to assume they wish now they could go back and do the opposite of what they did with his contract last offseason. At some point you have to acknowledge they don't feel the same way some of the fans in this board do about their head coach.

I guess I have to face the facts...:thumbup:

Sydla

Reaction score

That's the point. We all know the Jones like Garrett and what he's doing. That's pretty obvious.

The issue is that many fans think the Jones' are blind and overrating Garrett and will likely waste Romo's prime and remaining years.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
BB also had skins on the wall as a top DC for the big Tuna and a couple of super bowl wins that way prior to NE.
Of course.

I'm sorry..and I'm a big fan of Garrett but he just doesn't have it.

No way we should have went 4-12 last year.

Garrett was too wishful in supporting Weeden hell or high water.

I assume Garrett felt they could as coaches overcome Romo being gone..

but he was miserably wrong.

Garrett is not Jimmy Johnson who could talk to his team with winning experience from Miami days and had a coaching staff that knew what needed to be done.

Garrett has none of that. I think the Parcells Experiment taught Jerrah that paying big bucks didn't mean success..so he decided paying Garrett less and waiting was more financially prudent..

than winning now.

Not really.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting side note: HOF'er Don Shula never won a Super Bowl with HOF'er Dan Marino.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Stephen Jones: Jason Garrett's turning into a great coach; 'he's the hardest worker in the building'
http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...s-turning-great-coach-hardest-worker-building

Before Bill Belichick led the New England Patriots to four Super Bowl victories, he spent five seasons as head coach in Cleveland. The Browns were a combined 36-44 in the regular season and 1-1 in the playoffs during that time.

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones recently referenced the early part of Belichick's career while answering a question about Jason Garrett.

In five and a half seasons as the Cowboys head coach, Garrett has compiled a 45-43 regular season record and a 1-1 postseason mark.

"First of all, I think Jason is one of the up and coming coaches in this league. We're fortunate to have him," Jones said Friday morning on CBS Sports Radio's Tiki and Tierney Show. "I think obviously Jason went through some growing pains. If you look at some of the great coaches in this league, I mean, Belichick's first stop was not necessarily what we think of when you think of Bill Belichick.

"[Garrett] has all the skillsets, it's just a matter of getting seasoned and I think he's at that point. ... I do think he's turning into a great football coach. I just think he's come so far. I think it's all in front of him and he's only going to get better."...
He claps like a champion!!!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Having been photographed laughing it up with Art Briles, Stephen had to make the obligatory "vote of confidence" statement. Means nothing. A bad season and Garrett is gone. Briles said he expects to have a coaching job by November or December. By then, Garret's fate may be decided.
Interesting. Very much so. But would the Jones be so obvious??

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's the point. We all know the Jones like Garrett and what he's doing. That's pretty obvious.

The issue is that many fans think the Jones' are blind and overrating Garrett and will likely waste Romo's prime and remaining years.

The post of mine you originally responded to was me responding to the idea that Stephen was just giving lip service.

I agree that the players and staff and owners like him (they're the ones in position to see his work best). Fans don't because they're judging from the outside looking in and are impatient for more wins. That's the way it always is in the NFL, and it's expected, but it s not necessarily a reflection of the job he's doing.

Sydla

Reaction score
The post of mine you originally responded to was me responding to the idea that Stephen was just giving lip service.

I agree that the players and staff and owners like him (they're the ones in position to see his work best). Fans don't because they're judging from the outside looking in and are impatient for more wins. That's the way it always is in the NFL, and it's expected, but it s not necessarily a reflection of the job he's doing.

Waiting 6 years isn't being impatient. If Garrett can't deliver a playoff appearance, that will be one playoff spot in 6 years.

It's bizarre to suggest that after 5-6 years of what has been pretty average results, that fans are "impatient".

When is it OK to be impatient with Garrett and the Jones'? Do you have to wait a full decade?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
In fairness, Briles visited lots of training camps, but I don't think he has ever coached outside Texas. He would jump if offered.
Oh, he would jump. And assault is almost legal in the NFL, so Briles would be a perfect fit, with no prickly college trustees around.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Waiting 6 years isn't being impatient. If Garrett can't deliver a playoff appearance, that will be one playoff spot in 6 years.

It's bizarre to suggest that after 5-6 years of what has been pretty average results, that fans are "impatient".

When is it OK to be impatient with Garrett and the Jones'? Do you have to wait a full decade?

The six years thing I've already addressed my stance on in this thread, so I won't repeat it, but if the losses are related to causes other than the coaching, the smart thing is to address those limitations and not making changes to areas of the team that are working. Fans are going to blame the coach, regardless.

As for how long we'll wait, I guess that's a function of when the team gets serious about addressing it's actual limitations.

J_Allen

Reaction score
This is a reference to him calling the timeout his ST coordinator asked for as the play was starting in the AZ game several years back, I assume?

Yes, I believe Boniol told him to call a timeout.

cml750

Reaction score

Yep, he has already wasted most of his career on mediocre coaches. I guess he wants to waste his entire career. Sad but true.