News: Stephen Jones: Jason Garrett's turning into a great coach; 'he's the hardest worker in the building'

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
6 of those came in the first 8 years he owned the team.

So 6 10+ win seasons in 8 years, then only 5 10+ wins in the next 19.

Only 3 10+ win seasons in the last ten seasons.

In other words, Jones looked great when he had Johnson around running everything. When he didn't have Johnson or the team Johnson built, Jones has been largely mediocre in his stewardship of the team.

tell-the-truth.png

Sydla

Reaction score
There is the other entre side of the game....it's called defense.

He's the head coach. Defense is his responsibility too. If it's still not working after 6 years, that's the head coach's fault despite you guys trying to blame everyone in the front office and the defensive coaches.

Here's an honest question for all the Garrett fans here.

Where is the breaking point for some of you?

J_Allen

Reaction score
Some want to act like it would be a huge accomplishment to finish Top 5 with the parts and investment made in this offense.

This is a 'steak on every plate' deal if ever there was one. There is not a team or coach in this entire league that has the number of Pro Bowlers and top draft picks at their disposal that this team's offense does. If they don't rank Top 5 or better at the very least, barring injury, these coaches should be run out of town on a rail!

They should have been run out of town after what happened last year. So if Romo goes down again will 2016 be another lost season? Inexcusable. Troy was right. We should have won more games. But everyone is still here.

And another thing about Garrett, I hope this is the year where he has finally learned how to manage the clock. It's not rocket science at all. I would like to know what the hell he studied at Princeton.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They should have been run out of town after what happened last year. So if Romo goes down again will 2016 be another lost season? Inexcusable. Troy was right. We should have won more games. But everyone is still here.

It's only excusable if Jones tries to let it happen and the fanbase goes along with it. He can get away with only as much as the people who pay the bills - you and I - will allow. If ticket and merchandise sales start taking a hit, he'll change his position pretty quickly. I think there has been more than enough rationalizing and excuse-making going on for the past 5-plus years. If this team doesn't get back to the playoffs this year, changes need to happen.

And another thing about Garrett, I hope this is the year where he has finally learned how to manage the clock. It's not rocket science at all. I would like to know what the hell he studied at Princeton.

People can be book smart and be complete idiots in other aspects of life. Just like some fans want to holler about Jerry Jones being a football genius because he's been very successful in business. Savvy and know-how in one area doesn't automatically translate to another.

CCBoy

Reaction score
It's only excusable if Jones tries to let it happen and the fanbase goes along with it. He can get away with only as much as the people who pay the bills - you and I - will allow. If ticket and merchandise sales start taking a hit, he'll change his position pretty quickly. I think there has been more than enough rationalizing and excuse-making going on for the past 5-plus years. If this team doesn't get back to the playoffs this year, changes need to happen.

People can be book smart and be complete idiots in other aspects of life. Just like some fans want to holler about Jerry Jones being a football genius because he's been very successful in business. Savvy and know-how in one area doesn't automatically translate to another.

Wow, a new 'business' slant...where in pro football, the fan actually thinks he allows the team to do things...

and as far as a 5-year plan, move to Russia.

No, a decision on team directed planning...THAT changed five seasons ago. And has been a successful change ever since.

As to tears...get real. You guys belly bump as well?

:popcorn::rolleyes:

CCBoy

Reaction score

And out of the woodwork springs a tar and feather fan...

DFWJC

Reaction score
He's the head coach. Defense is his responsibility too. If it's still not working after 6 years, that's the head coach's fault despite you guys trying to blame everyone in the front office and the defensive coaches.

Here's an honest question for all the Garrett fans here.

The comment I was replying to was talking about Romo and Bridgewater...neither of who play defense. Minnesota's defense has been a lot better.
If you wish to blame Garrett some for that, I have no problem with it.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Jimmy was the only coach who "succeeded" under Jerry but you have to admit Garrett has been given more of a chance with the Cowboys than he would have been given with any other team. No team would have stayed with him this long.
Exactly. Only our front office is dumb enough to keep him.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I imagine the answer is when the team stops making progress and the players stop playing hard for him. Same with any other HC in the league. Unfortunately we will never know what would have happened last year, but it's clear that the 2014 product was clearly improved over 2012 and 2013 and did well with healthy players. Now we get Romo, Dez, OScan, Zeke and all the young talent on defense this year lets see what happens.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
and if they win 10 games and are one and done in the playoffs then most fans here will be happy and along we all go to next year.

MikeT22

Reaction score
"First of all, I think Jason is one of the up and coming coaches in this league. We're fortunate to have him," Jones said Friday morning on CBS Sports Radio's Tiki and Tierney Show. "I think obviously Jason went through some growing pains. If you look at some of the great coaches in this league, I mean, Belichick's first stop was not necessarily what we think of when you think of Bill Belichick.

lol

In about six years he's now becoming a good coach. Just like many of us knew when he was hired, it wasn't about hiring a good coach it was about hiring someone Jerry was comfortable with. They even admitted early on he had 'training wheels' on. And to think some still think Jerry's main interest is winning. LOL

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Oh my..

comparing him to Belichek is a disserice to Belichek.

Garrett can't develop a backup QB..

he can't call the plays..

his game managment has cost us numerous games..

he's not allowed to pick his assistant coaches..

and he's like a coach who has appeared in 6 SBs?

What is Stephen drinking?

I'd like some of that.

BB also had skins on the wall as a top DC for the big Tuna and a couple of super bowl wins that way prior to NE.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Simple...now provide beyond referencing an attitude or personal feeling. Use outside references to prove a point. Mood exchanges don't help unless unifying for a purpose. Complaints don't count.

Okay. Jimmy brought us 3 Super Bowls. --Fact

Parcells totally rebuilt a team that went 5-11 3 years in a row before he got here and took us to the playoffs his first year.
Simple...now provide beyond referencing an attitude or personal feeling. Use outside references to prove a point. Mood exchanges don't help unless unifying for a purpose. Complaints don't count.

Would you say that another coach besides Jimmy and Parcells has had success working under Jerry Jones?

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Stephen Jones: Jason Garrett's turning into a great coach; 'he's the hardest worker in the building'
http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...s-turning-great-coach-hardest-worker-building

"[Garrett] has all the skillsets, it's just a matter of getting seasoned and I think he's at that point. ... I do think he's turning into a great football coach. I just think he's come so far. I think it's all in front of him and he's only going to get better."...

giphy.gif

CCBoy

Reaction score
Did you support Chan Gailey, Dave Campo, and Wade like this?

Chan Gailey is the coach that Jerry Jones said he was sorriest for not having allowed a third season with the Cowboys. Campo was trusted and inherited a complete mess, both with cap and with roster. Wade Phillips, had a ton of defensive knowledge and slowly built upon what Bill Parcells left behind...sorry, but I was serving in the Army through most of that. But yea, I fully supported the Cowboys through that...and passed the bullets in my 'spare time.'

CCBoy

Reaction score
Okay. Jimmy brought us 3 Super Bowls. --Fact

Parcells totally rebuilt a team that went 5-11 3 years in a row before he got here and took us to the playoffs his first year.

Would you say that another coach besides Jimmy and Parcells has had success working under Jerry Jones?

Hold that thought, I'll just get back to this none fact finding farse...:popcorn: