Stephen Jones on 105.3 right now

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Disclaimer: The following is for humor. It's not Polysci.

I would vote for Jerry. The Chinese would be buying tickets to whatever Jerry wanted to sell them. No more budget deficits.

Imagine Jerry pronouncing the names of foreign dignitaries.
You are a mad genius and I love it.

X

Adreme

Reaction score
This is a great post.
I know it's going to sink into the quicksand of the forum, but darnit... I hope that many here read this and understand what is happening.

Except they do not really have any free agents of note other than Schultz. Any cap hit from resigning Diggs wont be until 2024 and any cap hit from Parsons not until 2026 and most of your other free agents are not exactly big money. Not to mention even if there were there are a LOT of moves they could make in 2023 to generate more cap room easily. They just did not spend the money because they never go after the big name free agent because their ego cannot handle the idea that they need to have a big name from another team fill a hole. That does not lend itself to the idea that they have deluded themselves into that they are the smartest people in the room.

Corso

Reaction score
Except they do not really have any free agents of note other than Schultz. Any cap hit from resigning Diggs wont be until 2024 and any cap hit from Parsons not until 2026 and most of your other free agents are not exactly big money. Not to mention even if there were there are a LOT of moves they could make in 2023 to generate more cap room easily. They just did not spend the money because they never go after the big name free agent because their ego cannot handle the idea that they need to have a big name from another team fill a hole. That does not lend itself to the idea that they have deluded themselves into that they are the smartest people in the room.
It's not FA.
It's contracts coming to fruition with cap hits and they want to minimize things by not kicking more cans down the road that are bad investments like Tyron.
C'mon man.
Let's get educated.

Adreme

Reaction score
It's not FA.
It's contracts coming to fruition with cap hits and they want to minimize things by not kicking more cans down the road that are bad investments like Tyron.
C'mon man.
Let's get educated.

Lets do some education then:
First, they do not have any upcoming free agents for 2023 other than Schultz who will command anything. The list of Cowboys free agents in 2023 is pathetic.
Second, the only 2 big deals will not affect the cap until 2024 and 2026 (and the likely Dak extension in 2025) which means again there is a lot of free cap room.
Third, good teams push the cap hit into future to maximize their window and allow them to load up rosters in free agency. I can give you a half dozen teams, all of whom have been successful over the past few years all employing this same tactic.
Fourth, the tactic being employed right now is one that typically bad teams do when they are trying to rebuild and save up their cap space for when they actually are ready to contend which is not the type of roster that the Cowboys claim to have and honestly is not the roster they have.

In conclusion, they could have followed the path that other good teams did which is to go big in free agency understanding that as the cap grows pushing hits into future years works out well long term and short term, but instead they went the rebuilding route despite having some great players on rookie deals and very good players at the edge of their prime.

Corso

Reaction score
Lets do some education then:
First, they do not have any upcoming free agents for 2023 other than Schultz who will command anything. The list of Cowboys free agents in 2023 is pathetic.
Second, the only 2 big deals will not affect the cap until 2024 and 2026 (and the likely Dak extension in 2025) which means again there is a lot of free cap room.
Third, good teams push the cap hit into future to maximize their window and allow them to load up rosters in free agency. I can give you a half dozen teams, all of whom have been successful over the past few years all employing this same tactic.
Fourth, the tactic being employed right now is one that typically bad teams do when they are trying to rebuild and save up their cap space for when they actually are ready to contend which is not the type of roster that the Cowboys claim to have and honestly is not the roster they have.

In conclusion, they could have followed the path that other good teams did which is to go big in free agency understanding that as the cap grows pushing hits into future years works out well long term and short term, but instead they went the rebuilding route despite having some great players on rookie deals and very good players at the edge of their prime.
Respect whatever you just did. Hence the like.
I don't think you hit the main problem that is not extending Dak, but I get the assumption, but I also look at the possibility of not extending him and looking into what to do with Zeke.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Listening to 105.3 on my way home from work and Stephen Jones is on.

The host asked him to say what he thinks about fans who feel he is not interested in building a winning team as much as he is about making money. Stephen went on a 2 to 3 minute rant about how he manipulates the salary cap and tries to spend every dollar.

Dude never answered the question - for whatever reason he totally ignored it and went on a rant about the cap instead.

There you have it folks, if that isn't proof enough where Jerry and Stephen's priorities lie, I don't know what else to tell you. Stephen didn't have to admit it, but by totally avoiding answering the question that's exactly what he is doing.

To hell with them.

Do people still listen to this idiot and his father.? You can tell they're lying, their lips are moving.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
This is a great post.
I know it's going to sink into the quicksand of the forum, but darnit... I hope that many here read this and understand what is happening.
thanks, many fans dont understand the cap money is a separate entity.
In a way it is like monopoly money, lol it has no value in real world, it just buys players, thats it, and they have a limited set amount they can spend.

Corso

Reaction score
Do people still listen to this idiot and his father.? You can tell they're lying, their lips are moving.
I guess so.
Why would the Cowboys be the most valuable team on the entire planet without having won anything in about 3 decades?

The colors on the uniform?

ESisback

Reaction score
Listening to 105.3 on my way home from work and Stephen Jones is on.

The host asked him to say what he thinks about fans who feel he is not interested in building a winning team as much as he is about making money. Stephen went on a 2 to 3 minute rant about how he manipulates the salary cap and tries to spend every dollar.

Dude never answered the question - for whatever reason he totally ignored it and went on a rant about the cap instead.

There you have it folks, if that isn't proof enough where Jerry and Stephen's priorities lie, I don't know what else to tell you. Stephen didn't have to admit it, but by totally avoiding answering the question that's exactly what he is doing.

To hell with them.
Politicians.

ESisback

Reaction score
Whats funny is Stephen also told the host that every dollar afforded to the cap has been spent, which I think is a lie. Don't they have about 20 million in space right now that isn't being used?

They have a “use” for that cap space—it’s just not allocated for players.

Asklesko

Reaction score
Haha yeah The Jones Boys need their own YouTube channel or Twitch Stream daily show with how much crap they spew. Hey It would bring in more moolah for them. I'd love to see them have to deal with the live chat and comments lol.

Imagine Jerry on tiktok

NotForLong

Reaction score
Whats funny is Stephen also told the host that every dollar afforded to the cap has been spent, which I think is a lie. Don't they have about 20 million in space right now that isn't being used?
I think they are saving it so they can roll it over next year. . . Put it towards the Cap Hit when They drop Dak after June 1st

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I think his point would be that the money will be used. His job is to look at both the short term and the long term, so any money that they can carry over is earmarked for some of the young players they will eventually have to pay. I'm not saying I agree with the strategy at all, but I can see how in his mind it is spent if he's calculating extensions, etc.

NotForLong

Reaction score
They are saving the Money . . . Not to extend players . . . but rather to drop players

kumizi

Reaction score
Contrast Stephen with Sean McVay.

They (McVay and Stafford) met for drinks poolside, talking football. A bond forged over sun and booze. McVay returned to his hotel and, “a few tequilas in,” he says now, hopped on a FaceTime with Rams brass, unleashing a plea that’s now legendary around the team’s office. “Here’s the f—ing deal, OK? We can sit here and exist, and be OK winning nine to 11 games, and losing in the f—ing divisional round and feel like, ‘Oh, everything’s OK.’ Or, we could let our motherf—ing nuts hang, and go trade for this f—ing quarterback, and give ourselves a chance to go win a f—ing world championship. You ready to f—ing do this or what?”

J_Allen

Reaction score
lol, you got to love the jones. They are laughing at us and they are nothing we can do.

They won't be laughing whenever his merchandise/ticket revenue is cut in half. Because that's on the way. And he can expect the fans to keep lashing out at this collection of players he's put together.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
They won't be laughing whenever his merchandise/ticket revenue is cut in half. Because that's on the way. And he can expect the fans to keep lashing out at this collection of players he's put together.
he'll get a rodeo or some has been rapper concert and that will make up plenty.