Stephen Jones on Dak's contract

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak needs to be lower than $50 million. He already got the big contract. Jerry caved in to him. Dak now has to return the favor. Dak currently earns $40 mil/season. Take an extension at between $40 - $42 mil/season. That keeps him at what he's currently making or a little more. Waaaay enough money per year. This would help the Cowboys have enough cap space to sign CeeDee, Micah, Pollard and a few other key starters to long-term contracts.

plasticman

Reaction score
I wish there was some way they could extend Dak for two seasons. At the end of this season, he has no viable competition. Trey Lance won't be ready in 2024, he will need one more season of development.

Even with Lance on the team I do wish the Cowboys would draft a legitimate talent with the potential to start. The Cowboys need to change their typical process which is to settle on a starter and call it a day. They need to foster an environment of competition where nothing is ever completely settled and there is no such thing as a "franchise" quarterback. They should be drafting one every three years and not only day #3.

This way, a Cowboys quarterback negotiating for his 2nd contract will always coincide with another Cowboys quarterback entering his 2nd season.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Way too much recency bias with those statements. Two and a half weeks ago we were all ready to start lance.

He has to prove it this year. He has to lead us to an nfc title game at the very least. He has to show he can play against the 49ers and eagles. If not he doesn’t deserve to be extended.

Stephen and Jerry are saying the right things yes. But I’d have to believe that’s how they feel as well. Jerry ain’t getting any younger. If dak can’t make a run this year he isn’t going to.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
Way too much recency bias with those statements. Two and a half weeks ago we were all ready to start lance.

He has to prove it this year. He has to lead us to an nfc title game at the very least. He has to show he can play against the 49ers and eagles. If not he doesn’t deserve to be extended.

Stephen and Jerry are saying the right things yes. But I’d have to believe that’s how they feel as well. Jerry ain’t getting any younger. If dak can’t make a run this year he isn’t going to.
Eagles have never ever been his problem. He owns them.

Stephen has always said he was gonna sign Dak to his first contract, and he did. And hes saying hes gonna sign him again, and he will.

robertfchew

Reaction score
someone may have said this but we’re between a rock and a hard place. We have micha and the rest of the d but they just can’t stop the niners. We need a qb who can dominate. *** do we do? Anyone else tired of losing in the second round ?

plymkr

Reaction score
Dak needs to be lower than $50 million. He already got the big contract. Jerry caved in to him. Dak now has to return the favor. Dak currently earns $40 mil/season. Take an extension at between $40 - $42 mil/season. That keeps him at what he's currently making or a little more. Waaaay enough money per year. This would help the Cowboys have enough cap space to sign CeeDee, Micah, Pollard and a few other key starters to long-term contracts.
I’d sign him to an extension of 30 a year. I don’t think he’s played like a 40 million a year guy. If he gave us a hometown discount at 30-35 million then I’d be good with it. If we sign him to 50-55 million we’d be in bad shape. Hopefully he gives us a discount.

plymkr

Reaction score
Wait
If they truly love and believe in Mr. Prescott why wasn't this done before the season started? Why wasn't it done during the bye?
Maybe the truth will reveal itself by seasons end.
We’ll see how he plays in December and in the rough stretch of our season with the Eagles, Dolphins, Bills. I find it interesting that DNA boy said we’ll address this after the season as opposed to saying it’s ongoing. Interesting choice of words. I don’t believe him when he says Dak will be our QB. Because like you said, why wait? Why didn’t they redo his deal now or before the season.

Nav22

Reaction score
Fans of teams with post season aspirations like the Eagles and Niners must celebrate every time they read one of these articles about continuing this failed QB era.
Yeah, the Eagles are so thrilled about continuing to face a QB who has an 8-3 record against them!

That 40-piece Dak put on their defense to ruin their Christmas? They totally want more of that!!!
:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

Yobwocs

Reaction score
Stop paying this POS QB. Get us some real talent at other positions while we make do with Cooper Rish and Trey Lance.
This POS QB is gonna be your guy until 2030. Might as well stock up on your 2030 calendars early.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
There was absolutely nothing committal to what Stephen said. Nothing.

I'm one of the few non-Dak haters left around here, but you are misunderstanding S-Jones' comments if you think it's a big positive for Dak.
"Once the season is over, we will focus on that. Dak will be our quarterback.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wish they'd go ahead and extend him so I could quit caring about the Cowboys once and for all.
Same here bud enough is enough with the Jerry Circus.
This would just be the Cherry on the cake as they say.
Ciao and GL with Inepto inepto kicking them Field goals and 3 and outs.
P.S. Waiting for the end of the Season gives some hope this is a positive!