Stephen Jones on Dak's contract

Jarntt

Reaction score
believe what you see and not what you hear and especially from the Jones boys. The team knows QB contracts are only going up and haven’t yet extended him for a reason. I don’t think there is any guarantee that Dak is extended this off-season. I think how he plays this year when it matters most will decide if he is extended after the year, and if he isn’t, I think it will start all over next year as I don’t think there is any way he will be cut. I also don’t think Trey Lance is ever the long term starting QB of this or any other team

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm saying it here and now. To beat Philadelphia, Dallas has to cover Brown. That, and Dak has to be successful down the center of the field, where the Eagles are weak...

Qcard

Reaction score
I wish they'd go ahead and extend him so I could quit caring about the Cowboys once and for all.
Please Promise you'll leave!! Look at the Landry Congregation....they finally found Mahomes after 30 years from Jerry firing Tom. You'll be fine.

I suggest we trade ALL Dak Haters to Titans for Derick Henry :lmao: :lmao:

starfan1

Reaction score
I'm saying it here and now. To beat Philadelphia, Dallas has to cover Brown. That, and Dak has to be successful down the center of the field, where the Eagles are weak...
Brown is definitely the engine of that offense

shabazz

Reaction score
There was absolutely nothing committal to what Stephen said. Nothing.

I'm one of the few non-Dak haters left around here, but you are misunderstanding S-Jones' comments if you think it's a big positive for Dak.
Yup, that’s what I got out of it also. This thread is supposed to be about the FOs opinion on keeping Dak and not about Daks performance.

I took it as non committal

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sounds about right. Lower that $60M cap hit. Should still draft a QB if there's someone we like.
The problem is the Cowboys will have many holes to fill in the draft. They already spend a 4th on Lance. Will he be ready in 2024? Will he ever be ready? If the Cowboys draft a QB will they cut Rush? Trading for Lance has kind of put them in a bind.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wait
If they truly love and believe in Mr. Prescott why wasn't this done before the season started? Why wasn't it done during the bye?
Maybe the truth will reveal itself by seasons end.
Exactly. Actions speak louder than words.

For all of their “Dak is our quarterback” talk, their actions show that they’re keeping their options open.

They’ll let the season play out and determine if Dak has earned another big contract.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
THIS..........could be the reason Jerry and Stephen trade or let him walk. My guess is they are willing to extend him to $45-48M but Dak will likely want a min $50M+.

RS12

Reaction score
The masses are finally figuring out the "paper tiger" is never leading this team anywhere. I guess the front office wont catch on til the number 4 jersey sales fall off a cliff.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Fans of teams with post season aspirations like the Eagles and Niners must celebrate every time they read one of these articles about continuing this failed QB era.
I think you are taking Dak for granted.

Once we start missing the playoffs all together...you will long for these glory days of squeaking into the big dance and losing in the Wild Card or Divisional Round.

vlad

Reaction score
Stephen bring a brilliant negotiator again. Even if subconscious put these players on edge, a little bit. That said if he’s hiring I’ll take a job lol

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
As a creature of habit...I find comfort in the fact that it's all but certain that in the year 2027, we will still all be talking about whether we should move on from Dak or not in here.

(Those of you who don't kick the bucket by then, that is)

Loso86

Reaction score
Dak needs to be lower than $50 million. He already got the big contract. Jerry caved in to him. Dak now has to return the favor. Dak currently earns $40 mil/season. Take an extension at between $40 - $42 mil/season. That keeps him at what he's currently making or a little more. Waaaay enough money per year. This would help the Cowboys have enough cap space to sign CeeDee, Micah, Pollard and a few other key starters to long-term contracts.
Lol yea right Daniel Jones is making 40 plus mil so not happening

Flamma

Reaction score
Wait
If they truly love and believe in Mr. Prescott why wasn't this done before the season started? Why wasn't it done during the bye?
Maybe the truth will reveal itself by seasons end.
Because that's not typically when it's done. After this season, and right before the last year of a player's contract is when most extensions are handed out. The restructured his contract before the season started. That means he's not getting an extension on top of that. That wouldn't make sense.

Flamma

Reaction score
I wish they'd go ahead and extend him so I could quit caring about the Cowboys once and for all.
They're going to, because that's how the contract is set up. There's no easy way out of it. They have 3 options after the season, you pick the one they will most likely do.

1. Release him and take the 61M dead cap next year, or the 61M dead cap over 2 years. Both options suck.
2. Let him play out the last year of his contract and release him. That means he plays at a 59M cap hit for the season, followed by a 36M dead cap.
3. Extend him, push money forward and end cap issues for now.

Which one of those three do you think the Jones boys will take?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Plenty of time before any of this is really relevant.
I can wait until March of 2024, and see what happens.

I want to enjoy this season as it unfolds.

Jay777

Reaction score
I wish there was some way they could extend Dak for two seasons. At the end of this season, he has no viable competition. Trey Lance won't be ready in 2024, he will need one more season of development.

Even with Lance on the team I do wish the Cowboys would draft a legitimate talent with the potential to start. The Cowboys need to change their typical process which is to settle on a starter and call it a day. They need to foster an environment of competition where nothing is ever completely settled and there is no such thing as a "franchise" quarterback. They should be drafting one every three years and not only day #3.

This way, a Cowboys quarterback negotiating for his 2nd contract will always coincide with another Cowboys quarterback entering his 2nd season.
Excellent idea!