Stephen Jones praises Jon Kitna

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I have several friends who are fans of other NFL teams and my bro in law lives in Denver and is a broncos fan. They all say Some common things to me in several areas-
1. “That front office looks ridiculous the way they handle hiring/firing of coaches- who actually makes those decisions and do they ever have a plan to announce them?”
2. “Why is the owner saying things that contradict his HC?”
3. “What are the expectations for your head coach and how long does he have to meet them?” (Most teams give their HC 3-4 years)

This organization is a continual head scratcher on how they run this thing.
If the world were as interested in other teams, maybe everything they did would be scrutinized too. I really don't see why SJ having a high opinion of Kitna is a big deal.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Jon Kitna was brought in, because he’s cool with Garrett and it’s familiarity, particularly since he’s settled in Texas now as well. The last two years of Kitna’s HC career was 5th out of 8 and not even qualifying for HS playoffs in Texas.

And this guy is invoking Andy Reid, based on “he thinks”. Andy Reid was a coach in GB on the offense when Pederson was there. He didn’t find him in HS. Matt Nagy was also on the Eagles as a player under Reid and then became a coaching assistant with them. He didn’t find them at the high school levels.

I agree that invoking guys like Pederson
And Nagy when discussing Kitna is a classic case of a Jones family member, putting the cart before the horse.

I don’t know anything about The HS Kitna coached at.

All that being said it’s possible he could be a good QB coach in the NFL. The guy Played in the league for a long time, so at the very least he has years of experience being an NFL QB to bring to the table.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Ok,so I got my answer in the Stephen interview on the DC site. Kitna was coaching high school football,and getting his feet wet there. Either way I’m sure glad he’s the QB coach. I think he’s the perfect guy for Dak.

khiladi

Reaction score
And Nagy when discussing Kitna is a classic case of a Jones family member, putting the cart before the horse.

All that being said it’s possible he could be a good QB coach in the NFL. The guy Played in the league for a long time, so at the very least he has years of experience being an NFL QB to bring to the table.

I’m sure it’s possible, but in reality this is just selling snake-oil. Jon Kitna is here because of his affiliation with Garrett with his three years here in Dallas. Stephen Jones is just pulling random connections to try and sell it and all of them are bogus.

This is basically just a Garrett move of familiarity, while Dak plays out his contract year.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

And very good mechanics.

Techsass

Reaction score
Jon Kitna was brought in, because he’s cool with Garrett and it’s familiarity, particularly since he’s settled in Texas now as well. The last two years of Kitna’s HC career was 5th out of 8 and not even qualifying for HS playoffs in Texas.

And this guy is invoking Andy Reid, based on “he thinks”. Andy Reid was a coach in GB on the offense when Pederson was there. He didn’t find him in HS. Matt Nagy was also on the Eagles as a player under Reid and then became a coaching assistant with them. He didn’t find them at the high school levels.
Quit sweating the details. It sounded good. lol

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the world were as interested in other teams, maybe everything they did would be scrutinized too. I really don't see why SJ having a high opinion of Kitna is a big deal.
You’re right. The Kitna thing is not a big deal. I think what my friends were referring to is how poorly the Cowboys publicly communicate what they’re doing.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Geez so we getting kitna because he is was a high school coach :D I know he is trying to tie that in to Andy Reid, but still not a reason you want to hear from the front office.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I have several friends who are fans of other NFL teams and my bro in law lives in Denver and is a broncos fan. They all say Some common things to me in several areas-
1. “That front office looks ridiculous the way they handle hiring/firing of coaches- who actually makes those decisions and do they ever have a plan to announce them?”
2. “Why is the owner saying things that contradict his HC?”
3. “What are the expectations for your head coach and how long does he have to meet them?” (Most teams give their HC 3-4 years)

This organization is a continual head scratcher on how they run this thing.
To summarize your friends that are fans of other teams say the same things many of us Cowboys fans do. That's like saying we don't say the same thing about Al Davis as Raiders fans.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

I like Kitna, smart solid as a QB. I think coaching HS will have given him a good grasp on coaching the fundamentals and mechanics and his time in the NFL giving him a good grasp on the brreaking down offensive game plans. I believe he coached a State Championship team in Oregon before being offered a HC job at Wax. TX. I think he's a solid choice.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
So now Stephen Jones is invoking the name of Tony Romo... convenient.. What a bunch of opportunists.

Romo also respected Linehan.. Why not tell us Romo’s feelings on Jason Garrett, Stephen?
Actually I wouldn’t mind hearing that as well

Second that Stephen

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You’re right. The Kitna thing is not a big deal. I think what my friends were referring to is how poorly the Cowboys publicly communicate what they’re doing.
My opinion? Their egos got it started, because they always wanted to be in front of a camera. Now, I think they couldn't avoid the press even if they wanted to. "Reporters" know they can get a soundbite any time they want, and it's steady work, with no effort.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I have no problem with Kitna, just someone inform him that he will need to purchase a deflection suit by seasons end :muttley:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Geez so we getting kitna because he is was a high school coach :D I know he is trying to tie that in to Andy Reid, but still not a reason you want to hear from the front office.
If you’re a former NFL QB and can coach, you can coach anywhere. Coaching’s most important trait is being able to communicate. A good coach is a good coach.