Stephen Jones said that the Cowboys wanted to drain the clock

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Garrett constantly preaches "situational awareness". IT WAS KIRK COUSINS!! Anyone think he was going to drive the length of the field with less than 90 seconds? The odds are way more likely he would have chocked.

Plus the pass defense wasn't the issue, the run defense, screens and rollouts were killing them, not Cousins sitting in the pocket picking them apart.

sacase

Reaction score
Bob on the ticket just pointed out that, fine if that's your strategy, no big deal. But then why run a play before the 2 minute warning (free timeout for Minnesota) and then after the 2 minute warning we snapped one snap at 25 on the game clock, then were in hurry up the rest.

This is the type of crap that drives me insane about Garrett. Totally incoherent strategy vs execution and if kellen moore is out of his depth cuz he's just starting that's when the freaking head coach ensures the strategy is understood and followed.

I'm not blaming Garrett for the actual play calls, but this, these brutal starts, etc

I have been saying this. If they wanted to burn time, why snap the ball with 20+ seconds on the play clock. Makes no sense.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The Cowboys told the world they don't trust their defense when they made a public display of their pursuit of Jamal Adams.

Stephen just reminded everyone that they don't trust their defense.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Wonder how the defense feels reading this and seeing that their coaching staff didn't have faith in them to make a stop and that the front office is defending that decision. The coaching decisions were inexcusable. but if they doubted this defense then it just shows how overrated they are this season and how they have yet to step up in games that matter the most.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Haha Stephen conveniently left out the play call on 3rd and 2.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in that suite to hear what Clem and Jethro actually discuss in regards to coaching and the product on the field.
Hot dogs.

silvernblu

Reaction score
So, we have Garrett saying that Dak had the option to pass or keep the ball for himself. And that Moore was the one doing the playcalling. Garrett tried to avoid the fact that a running play was called or that the mindset was installed with Dak and Moore that the ball needed to be ran to take time off of the clock. They choose to take the ball out of Dak's hands because they didn't trust our defense to make the stop.

Wonder what would Garrett would have said if Dak threw a pass to take the lead with the TD and then the defense gave up a score. Since he is good at deflecting blame, I'm sure he would have said that he thought that time should have been taken off of the clock. smh.

The thing about the 2 and 2. Everybody knew it was coming. Everybody.

I understand if it is not expected. But it totally was.

If the whole defense knows you're running, why not bring in the jumbo package and a fullback.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Too many chiefs not enough Indians. How many voices do we need to hear about what the team was supposed to do or not do? We get to hear Jerry’s of course but now we get Stephen’s all the time as well. Chip off the old block. Shouldn’t Garrett be the only one giving an explanation here? This is why I have hard time believing someone like Riley or another real coach would come here. If they do it will certainly be short lived. Players can’t take Garrett serious when they know he is not in control.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score

"We all know what happens in this league when they score too soon. They go right back down the field on you."

Well Stephen, hear me out on this, you could hire a modern day defensive coordinator that might do something about teams just going back down the field on you.

I'm all for controlling the clock and managing the game but why does this organization just concede to failure.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I wish my daddy was rich. So I could pretend to run a football team and get my own radio show despite never accomplishing anything.

Sydla

Reaction score
For further clarification.

On the first play after the 2 minute warning, that play started at 1:57. It was a pass to Cooper. Since there was no stoppage for being out of bounds or a penalty, once the ball is set, the play clock is 40 seconds. So assume that it took 6 seconds to spot the ball, the next time we could have snapped the ball was 1:11................ We snapped it at 1:33...................... roughly 22 seconds before we had to snap the ball.

The next play was a run. Assume 6 seconds to re-spot the ball. So forty seconds from 1:27 is 47 seconds. We snapped the next play off at 1:06.......... roughly 19 seconds before we had to snap it.

So either Garrett and Stephen are full of crap or we have another example of Garrett not knowing how to work the clock.

Both aren't good.

Sydla

Reaction score
Plus, if running the clock was so important in that situation, then why were there RPOs called? What if Dak throws an incomplete pass on the RPO? Clock stops.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
It's excuse making. As noted we ran a play before the two minute warning.

Further, the next play started at 1:57 and it was a pass to Cooper. Assume it took 5-6 seconds for that play to be run, the next snap was at 1:33.......... so in other words, we ran the next play with a lot of time on the playclock.

So we then run Elliott at 1:33 and he gets stopped, assume a few seconds to spot the ball. So let's say the refs spot the ball at 1:30........... the Cowboys have 40 seconds of play clock now. So with that in mind, they could have ran the clock down to 50 seconds if they wanted.

Instead they snapped the ball with 1:06. All told, they could have likely ran 20 seconds or more off the clock in those two plays. But they didn't.

So either this is excuse making after the fact or Stephen just admitted that his coaching staff showed horrible game management there if they really were trying to run the clock down.

It was just horrible coaching all the excuse making Stephen was doing ....well................

tenor.gif

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Plus, if running the clock was so important in that situation,
and rushed to get a play off before the 2 minute warning.

He's just trying to spin it. Their decisions have failed 24 years in a row. Not man enough to own up to it.

efh313

Reaction score
Haha Stephen conveniently left out the play call on 3rd and 2.

I personally had no issue with the 2nd and 2 run call either. It’s a solid call and took time off the clock. But the third down just rinse and repeat, was mind numbingly stupid and honestly painful to watch.

links18

Reaction score
The Cowboys told the world they don't trust their defense when they made a public display of their pursuit of Jamal Adams.

Stephen just reminded everyone that they don't trust their defense.

Of course, there was this thing called the off season, but they liked what they had then apparently....

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Run the clock!? News flash running the clock isn’t your first priority. It’s taking he lead.

second... yeah they moved the ball. But not really without screens. Under a min left that my have not been something they could have used as much

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I get wanted to trust Zeke, but Conner Williams has been the weak link on this line all season, why try to run behind him?

He blew his block on 2nd and 2, so what did they do, run to the left again on 3rd and 2. :banghead:

Sydla

Reaction score
and rushed to get a play off before the 2 minute warning.

He's just trying to spin it. Their decisions have failed 24 years in a row. Not man enough to own up to it.

Makes you wonder if Jones really buys what Garrett is selling or just is trying to defend him knowing how idiotic it was.

I mean Stephen clearly knows math. If Garrett is trying to run clock, when they snapped the ball would completely undermine that premise. We literally could have run another 40 seconds of clock in that game and we did not, instead rushing to get two plays off.