Stephen Jones said that the Cowboys wanted to drain the clock

Sydla

Reaction score
I personally had no issue with the 2nd and 2 run call either. It’s a solid call and took time off the clock. But the third down just rinse and repeat, was mind numbingly stupid and honestly painful to watch.

Except they could have also taken time off the clock by not running a play right before the two minute warning and not snapping the ball 20 seconds before they did when they ran Elliott on 2nd and 2.

They are likely full of crap at this point trying to find ways to cover their ***** and come up with some rational excuse for their play calling late.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Again underlining how terrible the defense is. Brilliant.

Yep, Stephen says "we believe in ourselves", but doesn't believe the defense can hold them out of the EZ with what would have been less than 1 minute left. Even if they got within FG range, it would have meant OT, they would have to drive the length of the field to score a TD to win in regulation.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Your running game that hasn't worked for 58 minutes is going to miraculously come together in the last 2 ?

That is typical loser's logic................................

CapnB

Reaction score
"We got a really good team in our mind" Yeah i think thats part of the issue. You're not as good as you think you are. Especially on defense.

Sydla

Reaction score
Its very simple, Stephen, either your head coach is lying to you about the reasons for those plays or he did a horrible job in clock management there if his goal was truly to run more clock.

Neither scenario is particularly good.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Question........how would you answer this after the fact w/o undermining the players and/or coaches? I agree we're being fed a bit of BS because they all know whos at fault but refuse to throw that person/persons under the bus. Notice Stephen said we'll learn from it and even Dak said we wanted to take a little of the clock BUT "I'm not going to question the play-calling". Hell, to me both are clearly admitting screwed up on the last 3-4 plays but I'm not going to stand here in front of millions and call out anyone. Other words, pretty sure what's being said private and publically are two different things.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Drain the clock while you are losing? That is pro like thinking right there. How about getting the lead FIRST then worry about milking the clock.
Don't be silly. You always drain the clock if you can. We did not need anymore than 60 seconds once we hit the 20 with 3 timeouts and yet we were rushing plays

Elusiv1

Reaction score
They were snapping the ball with 25 seconds left on the play clock!! That was so damn stupid if you ask me..Drain it as much as you can that way but don't call 2 stupid runs to Elliot and then on 4th down throw it to him when he was a non factor all game..RPO would have been a great play call on 2nd and 2 with Dak keeping the ball of course..Dak was on fire up to that point and our stupid coaching staff decided to get the ball out of his hands..I hate this moron coaching staff and it starts with the clapper and owner up top.

links18

Reaction score
Too many chiefs not enough Indians. How many voices do we need to hear about what the team was supposed to do or not do? We get to hear Jerry’s of course but now we get Stephen’s all the time as well. Chip off the old block. Shouldn’t Garrett be the only one giving an explanation here? This is why I have hard time believing someone like Riley or another real coach would come here. If they do it will certainly be short lived. Players can’t take Garrett serious when they know he is not in control.

Yeah, nobody is really in charge, when you have four coaches and two GMs futzing around.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Garrett constantly preaches "situational awareness". IT WAS KIRK COUSINS!! Anyone think he was going to drive the length of the field with less than 90 seconds? The odds are way more likely he would have chocked.
Yes, Cousins would have choked. He sux. But, he has a team around him to make him look good.

tomsanders921

Reaction score
And I call BS on Jones and Garrett trying to argue that running clock was a key component in this.

If running clock was that important then why did they hustle up Dak and have him run a play before the 2 minute warning? They quickly ran a play which was a short completion to Witten right before the 2 minute warning.

If you are that concerned with the clock then why not let the 15 seconds run off and not rush a play before the 2 minute warning?
They don't know what they r doing. I wondered the same thing during the game. Rush to get a play off and 15 seconds later you are worried about bleeding the clock. Worst coached team in the league. And ownership just makes excuses for Garrett for the last 9 years. He's the ultimate puppet coach so they want to be the coach forever. Like they said, they are looking for reasons to keep him. Don't remember the exact quote but they said something along those lines a few weeks ago.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So basically let's see how we can spin this today to make ourselves look better than we really are.

"We got a really good football team in our mind".

In our mind. That's the problem. In your mind you have long overrated the team and the current head coach.
Yep

It’s just Damage Control 101

The local media is ripping Garrett for that sequence of play calling.

The “ in our mind” quote is classic Jerry noise to pimp their brand. So ridiculous rhetoric no other team or anyone in sports would spew. What a joke.

Sydla

Reaction score
They don't know what they r doing. I wondered the same thing during the game. Rush to get a play off and 15 seconds later you are worried about bleeding the clock. Worst coached team in the league. And ownership just makes excuses for Garrett for the last 9 years. He's the ultimate puppet coach so they want to be the coach forever. Like they said, they are looking for reasons to keep him. Don't remember the exact quote but they said something along those lines a few weeks ago.

As I said, literally the very next play they could have let 15-18 more seconds run off the clock but instead they snapped the ball with 1:33 left.

Why? I mean it defeats their whole bullspit statement. You on 2nd and 2 to run the clock but then didn't actually run the clock as you snapped it with like 20 seconds left on the play clock?

Only homers are buying that crap today. Oh and apparently Stephen Jones.