Stephen Jones says Cowboys are playing Houdini to figure out contract situations

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Having 3 All Pros with contracts up at the same time got them.
Honestly, they should be smiling from ear to ear. I mean name a team/owner/GM who wouldn't love to have as many ALL-Pros as possible. No, you can't pay them all but the options and value they bring would have any GM licking his chops. In other words, let's say you have 5-6 ALL-Pros contracts coming within the next two years, I'm prioritizing who I'm keeping and who I'm trading for some serious capital/draft choices. The problem is the Jones don't like trading and are stubborn about holding to their original drafted players at any cost. This problem is a 1000% on Stephen and Jerry.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Stephen Jones spoke about the contractual status of the superstar players on the Dallas Cowboys.
By Brandon Loree Jul 19, 2024

The Dallas Cowboys have been known to be magicians in the past. After Owner Jerry Jones purchased the team in 1989, he pulled three Super Bowls out of a hat during the team’s run in the '90s.

Unfortunately, the team’s tricks have become stale and cliche for a few decades now.

Keeping fans across the country in their seats under the big top of AT&T Stadium has been more challenging, especially after the circus came tumbling down against the Green Bay Packers in January.

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones appeared as a guest on The Athletic’s new podcast, Scoop City, hosted by Dianna Russini and Chase Daniel. The conversation centered on the pending deals for Dallas’ big three and where things currently stand. Jones said the team is in the middle of pulling off their own Houdini trick.

Much more: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ntent=bloggingtheboys&utm_campaign=socialflow
Sounds like someone needs a punch in the gut.

Too soon?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Until the fines start racking up and his agent informs him the millions he will lose this year, and the interest he could earn on those millions, will never be recouped.
True, but CeeDee will not play on a 1 year tag knowing his future is not secure.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The Eagles aren't having problems shelling out big contracts to players because they kick the cap hit down the road knowing the cap will keep going up and the big contracts that they are shelling out now will look small in the future. Look at the average per year paid to some of their players:
:clap: See post #42 .........Like I said, any GM would love to have this problem coz it means he has done his job very well, drafting and developing a bunch of ALL-Pros.

stiletto

Reaction score
The Nepo-Baby MIGHT be able to play a game of Checkers.. that's about it. He ain't fooling anyone.

jujoboys

Reaction score
:clap: See post #42 .........Like I said, any GM would love to have this problem coz it means he has done his job very well, drafting and developing a bunch of ALL-Pros.
You are right, drafting hasn't been our problem and this problem wasn't created because we draft too good. This problem is a direct result of dumb and dumber not knowing how and when to negotiate player contracts. They let negotiations drag on and on and on instead of signing our players when we could get them cheaper. We should have extended Lamb last year after his 3rd year. We probably could have signed him for around $20 million a year. Instead we wait until after his 4th year (last year). He blows it up and now all of a sudden we are staring at the possibility of $32-$35 million a year. Meanwhile, Devontae Smith, who was drafted a year after Lamb is already extended. This is the first year we can sign Micah to an extension. They better get it done now or that contract is just going to keep going up. But they won't end up doing it. He will play on his contract this year and then we will see his value sky rocket even more next offseason while Stephen Jones pretends like he is a magician (houdini) behind closed doors at the Star in Frisco. They took this same stance with Prescott on his 2nd contract and it ended up being one of the worst contracts that i have ever seen when you look at the leverage that the jones' boys gave away for a future contract. They were beaten by Dak' agent in every phase of the game. It was like Pee Wee Herman taking on Ali in a boxing match. Short contract = Dak wins, No Trade Clause = Dak wins, No Tag Clause = Dak wins

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Houdini just needs to look at Howie Roseman designs contracts. The Eagles aren't having problems shelling out big contracts to players because they kick the cap hit down the road knowing the cap will keep going up and the big contracts that they are shelling out now will look small in the future. Look at the average per year paid to some of their players:

Jalen Hurts $51 million
AJ Brown $25 million
Devontae Smith $25 million
Dallas Goedert $14 million
Saquon Barkley $12 million

So they are paying their WRs, TE, RB, and QB and average of $127 million a year. Meanwhile we have a $3 million RB, TE on a rookie deal, a WR Cooks making about $10 million a year and we can't figure out how to pay Dak and CeeDee? This isn't about whether you and I would pay Dak or not. If they really wanted to pay Dak then they don't have to play houdini.

The Eagles spending doesn't stop there.

Jordan Mailata $22 million
Landon Dickerson $21 million
Lane Johnson $20 million

Our OLine - we are paying Martin $14 million avg and Steele $16 million avg - Rest of our OLine is on small contracts

Defense
This is where the Eagles seem to rely more on young unproven players.

Bryan Huff $17 million
CJ Gardner Johnson $11 million
I know Bradberry, Slay, and Graham are nearing the end of big contracts.

We have Diggs $19 million and DLaw on the last year of his contract. We can't find a way to pay Micah?
^^^^ This right here.

Everyone who thinks the Cowboys “can’t afford” having multiple stars on the payroll are not paying attention to all the GMs like Roseman and KCs Brett Veach. It’s not about how much - it’s about understanding how to manage it all. It all comes down to understanding how to structure a contract and it’s possible deferments.

SJ counts on us Cowboys fans just believing what he says is accurate. It’s not.

shabazz

Reaction score
^^^^ This right here.

Everyone who thinks the Cowboys “can’t afford” having multiple stars on the payroll are not paying attention to all the GMs like Roseman and KCs Brett Veach. It’s not about how much - it’s about understanding how to manage it all. It all comes down to understanding how to structure a contract and it’s possible deferments.

The other big factor is knowing WHICH players to give those fat contracts too also.

Sometimes it's obvious and sometimes it's not. Hard to predict who's gonna stay hungry or take it easy after getting the bag.

For example, The decision about making Parsons the highest paid defensive player is one of those the FO better get right

stiletto

Reaction score
^^^^ This right here.

It's obviously amateur hour in Dallas with Cap-Boy leading the way regarding salaries and such. It's pretty ridiculous, actually. No other way to say it. He'd long be fired if he were working for another team, well so would Jerry but we all know that. Clown show.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I’m dying to to see how they swing signing all three players.

Creativity at its finest.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Honestly, they should be smiling from ear to ear. I mean name a team/owner/GM who wouldn't love to have as many ALL-Pros as possible. No, you can't pay them all but the options and value they bring would have any GM licking his chops. In other words, let's say you have 5-6 ALL-Pros contracts coming within the next two years, I'm prioritizing who I'm keeping and who I'm trading for some serious capital/draft choices. The problem is the Jones don't like trading and are stubborn about holding to their original drafted players at any cost. This problem is a 1000% on Stephen and Jerry.
I agree. It shouldn’t be a bad thing but for some reason he has to be Houdini to handle it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
^^^^ This right here.

Yup, if this was Roseman or Veach, these deals would've been done last year. This is one of the reasons why they've been to SBs more recently than we have.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
^^^^ This right here.

He said they can sign them all just need to iron out contract details.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Stephen Jones spoke about the contractual status of the superstar players on the Dallas Cowboys.
By Brandon Loree Jul 19, 2024

The Dallas Cowboys have been known to be magicians in the past. After Owner Jerry Jones purchased the team in 1989, he pulled three Super Bowls out of a hat during the team’s run in the '90s.

Unfortunately, the team’s tricks have become stale and cliche for a few decades now.

Keeping fans across the country in their seats under the big top of AT&T Stadium has been more challenging, especially after the circus came tumbling down against the Green Bay Packers in January.

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones appeared as a guest on The Athletic’s new podcast, Scoop City, hosted by Dianna Russini and Chase Daniel. The conversation centered on the pending deals for Dallas’ big three and where things currently stand. Jones said the team is in the middle of pulling off their own Houdini trick.

Much more: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ntent=bloggingtheboys&utm_campaign=socialflow
Can he make GM Jethro disappear???

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They’re just playing to public perception.

The bigger news is apparently their intentions to still get a deal done with Dak.