Stephen Jones says Cowboys are playing Houdini to figure out contract situations

cowboyed

Reaction score
If Houdini style proves ineffectual, Stephen and Jerry will resort to voodoo chants and spitting chicken blood in our superstar players agents faces.

75boyz

Reaction score
Houdini just needs to look at Howie Roseman designs contracts. The Eagles aren't having problems shelling out big contracts to players because they kick the cap hit down the road knowing the cap will keep going up and the big contracts that they are shelling out now will look small in the future. Look at the average per year paid to some of their players:

Jalen Hurts $51 million
AJ Brown $25 million
Devontae Smith $25 million
Dallas Goedert $14 million
Saquon Barkley $12 million

So they are paying their WRs, TE, RB, and QB and average of $127 million a year. Meanwhile we have a $3 million RB, TE on a rookie deal, a WR Cooks making about $10 million a year and we can't figure out how to pay Dak and CeeDee? This isn't about whether you and I would pay Dak or not. If they really wanted to pay Dak then they don't have to play houdini.

The Eagles spending doesn't stop there.

Jordan Mailata $22 million
Landon Dickerson $21 million
Lane Johnson $20 million

Our OLine - we are paying Martin $14 million avg and Steele $16 million avg - Rest of our OLine is on small contracts

Defense
This is where the Eagles seem to rely more on young unproven players.

Bryan Huff $17 million
CJ Gardner Johnson $11 million
I know Bradberry, Slay, and Graham are nearing the end of big contracts.

We have Diggs $19 million and DLaw on the last year of his contract. We can't find a way to pay Micah?
Great post.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Houdini just needs to look at Howie Roseman designs contracts. The Eagles aren't having problems shelling out big contracts to players because they kick the cap hit down the road knowing the cap will keep going up and the big contracts that they are shelling out now will look small in the future. Look at the average per year paid to some of their players:

Jalen Hurts $51 million
AJ Brown $25 million
Devontae Smith $25 million
Dallas Goedert $14 million
Saquon Barkley $12 million

So they are paying their WRs, TE, RB, and QB and average of $127 million a year. Meanwhile we have a $3 million RB, TE on a rookie deal, a WR Cooks making about $10 million a year and we can't figure out how to pay Dak and CeeDee? This isn't about whether you and I would pay Dak or not. If they really wanted to pay Dak then they don't have to play houdini.

The Eagles spending doesn't stop there.

Jordan Mailata $22 million
Landon Dickerson $21 million
Lane Johnson $20 million

Our OLine - we are paying Martin $14 million avg and Steele $16 million avg - Rest of our OLine is on small contracts

Defense
This is where the Eagles seem to rely more on young unproven players.

Bryan Huff $17 million
CJ Gardner Johnson $11 million
I know Bradberry, Slay, and Graham are nearing the end of big contracts.

We have Diggs $19 million and DLaw on the last year of his contract. We can't find a way to pay Micah?
Yes, but who's responsible for the length of contract and our inability to copy the Eagles. Remind me how many years Dak signed for on his last and possibly wants in the next contract?
I would imagine Jerry would want career ending which would allow us the same flexibility Hurts gave the Eagles (with his $97m hit in 2029....five years away).

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Yes, but who's responsible for the length of contract and our inability to copy the Eagles. Remind me how many years Dak signed for on his last and possibly wants in the next contract?
I would imagine Jerry would want career ending which would allow us the same flexibility Hurts gave the Eagles (with his $97m hit in 2029....five years away).
Since he’s outperformed Hurts he’ll want more guaranteed money. In addition, before mimicking Hurts’ deal, he has no trade/no tag stipulated in his deal, as well.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Stephen stop just short of admitting the ball is now in Dak's court......as to say they are only going so far.

Creeper

Reaction score
Instead of trying to use magic, maybe they should try using math to solve the problem.