Twitter: Stephen Jones: "The cap is a real thing."

kskboys

Reaction score
This may be true, but I don't get that conclusion coming from these words. The cap is a real thing, and all teams have to make tough decisions to deal with it.
He said the opposite not long ago.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Yes he did.

Damn right he did. He literally laughed at the idea of cap hell at one point. If being unable to acquire talent, being forced to cut talent, and having to restructure just to get cap compliant resulting in no new acquisitions isn't cap hell, I'd like to know what cap hell is.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
So reading this article on the subject and a stat caught my eye

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/stephen-jones-enjoys-ready-made-125432049.html

Stephen Jones enjoys ready-made excuse for Cowboys’ free agent frugality

As it always is with Jones, it’s the last part that drives Cowboys fans crazy as they became the first team in NFL history to not make the conference championship game over their last 11 playoff appearances.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes he did.
I've seen in the past where he has said there are maneuvers that can help them work around cap issues to sign people, but I've never seen him say the cap isn't real and never leads to tough decisions. The Cowboys said that's why they couldn't offer more to DeMarco Murray, and why they couldn't sign Byron Jones and Ron Leary. It's the reason they give for prolonged contract negotiations. It's the reason they cite for generally not being major players in free agency. The reason they give for restructuring contracts is to help relieve salary cap issues.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
FKxxSHkXsAQX0bw

BlueStar22

Reaction score
The cap is a real thing yet the real contenders tend to throw caution to the wind and end up going deep in the playoffs. You can't keep relying on the draft, especially when in four or five years, some guys you've invested so heavily in, you decide they're too expensive and now you gotta replace them.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Stephen Jones enjoys ready-made excuse for Cowboys’ free agent frugality

As it always is with Jones, it’s the last part that drives Cowboys fans crazy as they became the first team in NFL history to not make the conference championship game over their last 11 playoff appearances.

The Jones boys making history, again. :facepalm:

I love how they refer to Stephen as the Cowboys cap "wizard" - based on what? He's responsible for it, but he didn't get his player personnel role through merit.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The cap isn’t real. It’s set by the owners. If they want to raise it, they can.

Guess again. :rolleyes:

1. The cap is collectively bargained with the NFLPA as part of the CBA.
2. The cap is a defined percentage of revenues. The formula is part of the contract.

kskboys

Reaction score
I've seen in the past where he has said there are maneuvers that can help them work around cap issues to sign people, but I've never seen him say the cap isn't real and never leads to tough decisions. The Cowboys said that's why they couldn't offer more to DeMarco Murray, and why they couldn't sign Byron Jones and Ron Leary. It's the reason they give for prolonged contract negotiations. It's the reason they cite for generally not being major players in free agency. The reason they give for restructuring contracts is to help relieve salary cap issues.
He declared they could sign anyone they want and the cap was NOT an issue.

kskboys

Reaction score
The cap is a real thing yet the real contenders tend to throw caution to the wind and end up going deep in the playoffs. You can't keep relying on the draft, especially when in four or five years, some guys you've invested so heavily in, you decide they're too expensive and now you gotta replace them.
Yes, but you must draft well first.

ICP

Reaction score
Lol, in other words the guys we should probably be keeping will go bye bye because we've handed out too many ridiculous contracts to bums like Zeke who we have to keep around for the average fan because they still think he's among the best in the league.

Yeah, I didn't include the names of some other high dollar players that the Jones Cartel wasted money on.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He declared they could sign anyone they want and the cap was NOT an issue.
What he was saying is they could find a way to make it work, or that they had the current cap space to sign a player. He wasn't saying they had unlimited ability to sign as many high priced players as they want, or that the cap isn't real, or that signing a player wouldn't require decisions being made, or future decisions on who they can or can't keep later on as other contracts come up.

Last edited: