Twitter: Stephen Jones: "The cap is a real thing."

kskboys

Reaction score
What he was saying is they could find a way to make it work, or that they had the current cap space to sign a player. He wasn't saying they had unlimited ability to sign as many high priced players as they want, or that the cap isn't real, or that signing a player wouldn't require decisions being made, or future decisions on who they can or can't keep later on as other contracts come up.
You have changed the parameters. Try again.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
Damn right he did. He literally laughed at the idea of cap hell at one point. If being unable to acquire talent, being forced to cut talent, and having to restructure just to get cap compliant resulting in no new acquisitions isn't cap hell, I'd like to know what cap hell is.

So your saying Chiefs who have half billion dollar QB, 100 million dollar TE, 100 million dollar WR, & 100 million dollar DT can make it work but dotard Stephen Jones can’t due to his own ego?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You have changed the parameters. Try again.
I believe the paramters you set are inaccurate as to what Stephen has said.

But since it's your claim Stephen has said the salary cap isn't real and that it never causes teams to make decisions, I'll be willing to take a look if you can back up the claim with a quote where he says this. I've looked, and I don't see it, but it's your claim to support, and you say he said this not long ago, so maybe you can find it.

Last edited:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
So your saying Chiefs who have half billion dollar QB, 100 million dollar TE, 100 million dollar WR, & 100 million dollar DT can make it work but dotard Stephen Jones can’t due to his own ego?
Well. Yes.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
"The cap is a real thing." Who would say that ? even worse publicly!
Does he think none of us or the media knows about the cap? lol.:rolleyes:

Horrible choice of words.:eek:

And in essence it isnt a "real thing" just some words on paper that form rules about a given topic.

A cap on a jar, now thats a real thing !:p

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
"The cap is a real thing." Who would say that ? even worse publicly!
Does he think none of us or the media knows about the cap? lol.:rolleyes:

Horrible choice of words.:eek:

And in essence it isnt a "real thing" just some words on paper that form rules about a given topic.

A cap on a jar, now thats a real thing !:p

It's a change of standpoint from the previous impression that the CAP wasnt a concern. To me that shows Stephen at last is putting value into the consideration.....a strategy that started when we cut Jaylon for 2023 CAP relief.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
This "the cap is a real thing" idea is just a lame excuse by Stephen that he and Jerry can't manage their budget effectively. :omg:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This "the cap is a real thing" idea is just a lame excuse by Stephen that he and Jerry can't manage their budget effectively. :omg:
This may be partially true, but every team has to make cap decisions, and "cap casualties" are common around the NFL. The Cowboys may not be as proficient as they should be at doing this, but it's accurate to say it's something that has to be dealt with.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Chiefs find a way to make it work because Mahomes and Kelce are paying dividends. It's more of an issue when paying people more than the value they bring.

And, of course, making it work for Mahomes and Kelce doesn't necessarily mean there aren't other players the Chiefs might otherwise like to keep but won't be able to pay market value for.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
This may be partially true, but every team has to make cap decisions, and "cap casualties" are common around the NFL. The Cowboys may not be as proficient as they should be at doing this, but it's accurate to say it's something that has to be dealt with.

It must be dealt with considering that they falter with the cap on such a regular basis. A capable GM could avoid doing it so often. ;)

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It must be dealt regarding the fact that they falter with the cap on such a regular basis. A capable GM could avoid doing it so often. ;)
That's what I was saying about them not handling it as well as they should.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
That's what I was saying about them not handling it as well as they should.

Exactly -- other teams experience such problems but are able to manage their contracts in ways that allow their success. Not so with our FO.

kskboys

Reaction score
I believe the paramters you set are inaccurate as to what Stephen has said.

But since it's your claim Stephen has said the salary cap isn't real and that it never causes teams to make decisions, I'll be willing to take a look if you can back up the claim with a quote where he says this. I've looked, and I don't see it, but it's your claim to support, and you say he said this not long ago, so maybe you can find it.
You're adding parameters again. Playing w/ semantics.

Big_D

Reaction score
A team run by complete morons is equally as real.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're adding parameters again. Playing w/ semantics.
Since when is having evidence to go along with a claim an unreasonable parameter? Since when is "because I said so" an indisputable standard?

As for calling it "semantics", that's ridiculous. Saying "the cap isn't real" and "the cap doesn't cause any decisions to be made" is very different from "we have cap space for a player" or "we can make moves to create cap space".

I believe you have likely misinterpreted Stephen's past comments about being able to sign players as meaning the salary cap isn't real and doesn't require decisions rather than that they either have the cap space for certain players or can make maneuvers to make the space. The only way to know is to see the comments you are referring to and the context in which they were made. .

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It's a change of standpoint from the previous impression that the CAP wasnt a concern. To me that shows Stephen at last is putting value into the consideration.....a strategy that started when we cut Jaylon for 2023 CAP relief.
well the cap has always been a concern, for every team they all have to deal with it.

But for someone with a college degree, and in his position, he should be able to state that in a more intelligent fashion??