Stephen Jones wants Austin to get the Ball 12 to 24 times Per Game

CCBoy

Reaction score
Four fumbles in four seasons...that's a real tough one alright.

Verdict

Reaction score
Note the word "average" in his post. He didn't say 12 touches here or there. He said "average" 12 touches. And he's likely right. It's pretty improbable that Austin will average 12 touches a game.

Unless you are counting special teams touches as well. I think he'll be hard pressed to touch the ball 12 times, on average, on offense.

He said zero. Do you really think what Stephen Jones said was an IMPOSSIBILITY? That's what zero means in that context.

davidariust24

Reaction score
Tavon Austin ran a 4.25 at the combine. He is the same size as T Y Hilton if the colts who ran a 4.34 . There isn't a reason why this guy can't get open to receive the football. Austin has the potential be a Major weapon if Linehan can get this guy some touches. We need to use some of the plays T.Y. Hilton uses because he doesn't have much size he needs lots of space to used his speed for separation. I love the addition of Tavon Austin. It's a fresh start that I think a lot of fans hope will turn out since he is remembered of being in the big 12 . I hope dak can develop a chemistry with Austin and others because this is an important year for Dak. I'm sure everyone wants to know if he is truly the one or not for the franchise. He has Austin a former top ten pick and Hurns a former top 100 player. Rooks like Gallup and Wilson. Returning vets like Beasley and Williams, up and comers like Noah brown who is very Dez like. Gathers a potential big time target as well as Schultz and jarwin. Elliot to pass to put of the backfield. Dak needs to bring it

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Like I said, any touches that takes away from Zeke I don't like, whomever that may be. Whether its Austin or anyone else. You don't draft a RB #4 overall to sit him on the bench. Now if we are blowing a team out, then by all means let him rest.

Zeke should also be catching 5 passes a game and that hasn't been the case yet in his career.
He's wouldn't be taking touches from Zeke. We lost Dez and Witten.

Verdict

Reaction score
This is why I got so hot with Verdict and the cut Dez crew. They said Stephen isn't like Jerry and that he is going to be different. It's just more of the same crap.

What does cutting Dez have to do with thIs issue?

Verdict

Reaction score
No one really knows what Austin will get this year. No one knows if Austin will get the most targets or the least. No one knows how much injuries would affect touches. If Zeke were to suffer a significant injury I would expect that to drive his touches up some.

HaVing said that I'm not sure why the exact amount of touches he gets is such a big deal to you guys. The whole point is that at this point in the process they intend to get Austin significantly involved. That's really all we know.

Johnny23

Reaction score
What does cutting Dez have to do with thIs issue?
The same crap different day with how this team opporates and conducts business in such a Busch League way. How you have Stephen and Jerry commentating on players playing time. It's the old saying "the more things change, the more they stay the same." I am not even shocked anymore at this crap that we're subjected too. How the entire Dez Bryant situation was handled was bogus, the fact that the Jones went on vacation DURING THE START OF THE LEAGUE YEAR IS BOGUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Among a myrid of other things that just have beaten me down being a fan of this organization that I wish they'd just stop doing. They are going to cut into Zeke's touches and get cute with Austin and it is going to end up costing them like it does in games that will decide our season. Dez being on the team or not being on the team isn't changing the dump crap that Jerry and his family and our coaches do.

It has everything to do with this because it's just par for the course in Dallas.

Verdict

Reaction score
The same crap different day with how this team opporates and conducts business in such a Busch League way. How you have Stephen and Jerry commentating on players playing time. It's the old saying "the more things change, the more they stay the same." I am not even shocked anymore at this crap that we're subjected too. How the entire Dez Bryant situation was handled was bogus, the fact that the Jones went on vacation DURING THE START OF THE LEAGUE YEAR IS BOGUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Among a myrid of other things that just have beaten me down being a fan of this organization that I wish they'd just stop doing. They are going to cut into Zeke's touches and get cute with Austin and it is going to end up costing them like it does in games that will decide our season. Dez being on the team or not being on the team isn't changing the dump crap that Jerry and his family and our coaches do.

It has everything to do with this because it's just par for the course in Dallas.

I understand that many people would be happier if Jerry and Stephen didn't say anything. I don't really care what they SAY, but you would hope that they don't micro manage the coaching, or undermine the coaches.

Getting rid of Dez was a good thing in that not only did it need to happen, but I think it shows that Jerry is giving up some level of control to others. I don't think that the Dez situation was handled badly as it pertains to the organization. It may have affected Dez (I don't really think so) but the team has to worry about the team's interests over a player's interest.

Johnny23

Reaction score
I understand that many people would be happier if Jerry and Stephen didn't say anything. I don't really care what they SAY, but you would hope that they don't micro manage the coaching, or undermine the coaches.

Getting rid of Dez was a good thing in that not only did it need to happen, but I think it shows that Jerry is giving up some level of control to others. I don't think that the Dez situation was handled badly as it pertains to the organization. It may have affected Dez (I don't really think so) but the team has to worry about the team's interests over a player's interest.

I disagree. Wholeheartedly after watching All or Nothing. THEY ARE SITTING IN ON COACHING MEETINGS AND IN THE LOCKER ROOMS TALKING TO PLAYERS ABOUT THE GAME LIKE THEY'RE COACHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's the definition of micromanaging and undermining coaches. The thing they say like getting players touches and who plays end up happening on the field and letting the entire Dez situation drag out during the off-season when they could have cut him as soon as possible the week after the Super Bowl is not a good look for the organization. Players see how they let it play out in media and talked and talked but then cut him. It had a detrimental effect and you're going to see it when we have all this cap space coming up and we're still bringing in JAGs to play instead of players who are going to help this team win. It was handled as poorly as you could and they drug it out because Jerry and company love drama and being in the news, headlines.

Verdict

Reaction score
I disagree. Wholeheartedly after watching All or Nothing. THEY ARE SITTING IN ON COACHING MEETINGS AND IN THE LOCKER ROOMS TALKING TO PLAYERS ABOUT THE GAME LIKE THEY'RE COACHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's the definition of micromanaging and undermining coaches. The thing they say like getting players touches and who plays end up happening on the field and letting the entire Dez situation drag out during the off-season when they could have cut him as soon as possible the week after the Super Bowl is not a good look for the organization. Players see how they let it play out in media and talked and talked but then cut him. It had a detrimental effect and you're going to see it when we have all this cap space coming up and we're still bringing in JAGs to play instead of players who are going to help this team win. It was handled as poorly as you could and they drug it out because Jerry and company love drama and being in the news, headlines.

I don't care how cutting Dez appeared, or really how it affected Dez. So I could care less about that. You obviously do care. That's fine. It's just a difference in perspective. Team > player.

If Jerry was still running things using SOP we would have never cut Dez and talked about how we were going to continue to find ways to get him the ball. But it's all just opinion.

davidariust24

Reaction score
Well I think that is entirely too low. This is tavon Austin not lance Dunbar. You use Austin more. 5-7 touches is doing it all wrong in this situarion.
Maybe 7-12 times. Slot of people forget has run kick and punt returns back thats about 4-6 times already. Then we can run him a good 3-5 times and then throw to him 3-6 times. So the numbers really are pretty good.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I would advise many not to get too excited about Austin. If he starts putting the ball on the ground in training camp and preseason he won’t be on this team. If he starts his fumbling routine during the regular season he’ll be released. We only gave up a sixth round pick for him so he’s no lock to make this team. The more times he touches the ball increases the chances he’ll cough it up. There’s a reason he only cost us a sixth round pick.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Long time no see, unless I just missed any posts lately.

Yeah, include the return game, then maybe. But hopefully he returns a lot more punts than KO's.
Meaning we give up less scores, and create more punts.

Nah, I haven't been posting. And my most recent post will probably get me benched, lol.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have they polled Charlotte Jones? How many times does she think Austin should get the ball? I care about as much.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Has it crossed your mind that Jerry and Stephen actually communicate with Garrett and his staff, and when they talk publically about a player it reflects the discussions they have had within the organization rather than just a top of the head unilateral decree on how a player will be used?

Fans have to start understanding that a lot more goes on away from the camera than in front of it.

As for releasing Dez immediately after the Super Bowl, why would they have needed to rush to that decision at that time? It's ridiculous to suggest the team shouldn't have waited to see what receivers they may be able to pick up in free agency first, or to see what their overall salary cap needs would be first, or try to trade Dez once a firm decision was made to move on from him.