Stephen Jones wants Austin to get the Ball 12 to 24 times Per Game

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I heard him say that at the time and just chalked it up to Stephen being moron and not realizing what he's saying.

No. They don't want him to get the ball 1-2 dozen times a game.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
If he averages 8 runs + 5 catches + 5 kr & pr = 18. It could happen.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Nope, not a misprint! Stephen Jones must love him some Tavon Austin.

Edit. Totally need more coffee, I misspelled Stephen Jones. I rock.

Only an idiot would take Zeke off the field on 3rd down and not throw him the ball. If Zeke cant catch, which I don't believe, then he was a waste of a 4th pick. You can bet that the Giants will be tossing their shiny new RB the ball in the passing game as often as they can.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This is a strange thing to witness.

Some people actually take Stephen Jones literally, thinking he actually has a clue about how a football team operates and take him seriously. Then you have others who think he should know better and then they blast him. Then you have others who make excuses for his lack of clarity. Then you have those adding up touch opportunities to make this mean something.

Number1

Reaction score
12-24 fumbles. Seriously this guy is over hyped as all hell.

maybe, but get him 10 - 15 touches a game and he'll get you 3 or 4 big plays. don't be surprised if he's the first RB off the bench, you can't blitz much with a guy like Austin on the field

many want plenty Zeke, Rod, and Bo and even Albert ... his ain't Emmitt and Co ... look at the players they brought in, and who left

"play fast" is coming

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score

The Cowboys averaged 62.8 offensive snaps last season. If you assume that Zeke is going to touch the ball 25 times per game, that leaves 37 snaps. If Austin gets the ball 24 times, that means we only throw the ball 13 times per game to the other WRs and TEs? That doesn’t sound right.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
I would be cool with 6-8 and 3 kick returns. A feature back don't handle the ball more than 20 to 25 times a game.

joseephuss

Reaction score
If he averages 8 runs + 5 catches + 5 kr & pr = 18. It could happen.

Sure there is a possibility that it could happen, but the probability of it happening is very low.

There were only 10 players who touched the ball an average of 18 times per game last season. There were only 9 who did it in 2016.

He won't be catching 80 passes in a season(5 catches a game for 16 games). He has only been targeted over 80 times twice in his career and that was when he was considered his teams #1 or #2 WR. He is going to be the 3rd option at best when he is in the game and he will only be in during selective packages.

Austin also won't get 8 rushing attempts per game. Dallas has averaged 30 rushing attempts per season over the past 4 years. Dak is going to run about 3 times a game whether by design or scrambling. That would leave 19 rushing attempts per game. That is not enough for a premier back like Zeke and a back up(whomever wins that battle). Austin might get 1 or possibly 2 rushing attempts per game. Maybe 3 in one game and zero in another.

I imagine they will try to use Austin similar to Darren Sproles. Sproles has never averaged 18 touches per game over a season.

Hardline

Reaction score
Thanks for that info Coach Jones. All he needs now is a coaching hat and a whistle.

Wood

Reaction score

this is what happens when trust-fund babys start running a franchise. They try so hard to be right about something that they usually have boatload of mistakes before they get franctional success.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Like father, like son.

This franchise is doomed as long as this family holds the reins.

SloMo_Joe

Reaction score

Anyone thinking this clown is any different than Papa Jones has been mislead. WTH is a VP doing setting the quotas for who gets how many touches per game. Only the coach should determine that. Looks like nothing will change after Papa Jones keels over, just a different meddling fool at the helm.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Tavon over the course of 5 years averages 1 fumble for every 9.5 PR/KR. He should not be allowed anywhere near the field on any kind of kick. He's a game changer but not in a good way.

Austin.gif