Stephen Jones: "we’re going to pay Zeke a significant contract at some point"

mattjames2010

Reaction score
What were the "many categories" that Conner did better than Bell ever did? I can't even find one category where Conner did better than Bell ever did.

As for Gurley, are you really saying 1251 yards rushing, 4.9 yards per carry, another 580 yards receiving, and 21 TDs looked "mediocre"? And that he looked worse than in the past? 2018 was his best season for yards per carry, yards per game and TD's, and his second best receiving season.

Can you actually read? Dude, 2016 - you do this a lot, are you drunk when you post?

> I can't even find one category where Conner did better than Bell ever did

This is an easy one: Bell never had double digit rushing TDs in an NFL season. James Conner, in 13 games, had 12 TDs and IF he equaled the amount of touches Bell got a yearly, he likely would have had more. Put down the booze.

NEXT!

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Gotta love this franchise.

Wouldn't pay Murray a lot because they had data that said there was a downturn in production of TBs. But they are going to pay a crap ton to Zeke.

Note, Murray isn't as good as Zeke, so spare the responses. But the data doesn't change depending on who you have at TB. If they truly believed TBs, at the time of looking at Murray, decline during the period we will be paying Elliott a ton, and then drop $70MM on Elliott, they are insane.

For starters.
The deal Murray signed in 2015, would make him the fourth highest paid RB STILL TODAY. He was three/4 years older than zeke at the end time of their contracts, battled injuries in college. His only full 16 game healthy season as a pro with us was 2014.

Zeke is going to be 24, potentially coming off his 3rd rushing title in four years(because of goodells hard on to fix the ray rice error) and has none of the injury concerns associated with Murray.

As much as you want to compare, there’s no comparison.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Zeke, Gurley, Bell, Johnson, and Barkley.

Bell didn't play this season, got replaced easily by Conner. Johnson's 2016 season was phenomenal, but injury has taken it's toll on him. So, that leaves Zeke, Gurley, and Barkley.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
It's basically the same. If the Cowboys believed in 2014 that overpaying for a TB into their 2nd contract would result in that being a bad contract given the decline in TB production, then why the hell would you then consider giving Elliott what will likely be a contract 2-3 times larger where Elliott will be playing for us for big money in the years they believe you will see a decline in production?

Its insane.

2-3 times larger?
Murray got 8.4 mil a year from philly.
5/42.

Zeke ain’t getting 26 mil a year or even 17.
Exaggerating doesn’t help your point.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
I have no problem giving zeke a second contract. Remember nothing is guaranteed in the nfl anyway. You give him a second contract and as he nears 30.

I think people really undervalue what zeke means to this team because "rb is an easy" position to just plug someone in there.

How many drives does zeke save us, 3rd and 4th and 1. Even when he gets hit he still picks it up. Guy has elite skills, his vision is second to none and he's durable. Plus he makes dak better and cooper more of a threat.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Bell didn't play this season, got replaced easily by Conner. Johnson's 2016 season was phenomenal, but injury has taken it's toll on him. So, that leaves Zeke, Gurley, and Barkley.
Kamari and the Carolina running back.

Sydla

Reaction score
2-3 times larger?
Murray got 8.4 mil a year from philly.
5/42.

Zeke ain’t getting 26 mil a year or even 17.
Exaggerating doesn’t help your point.

Murray got $21MM guaranteed from Philly. Gurley, who Stephen Jones admitted today is the starting point for Zeke, got $45MM guaranteed. So right there, that's double the real money Murray got and some expect Elliott to get more.

So I didn't exaggerate at all.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Gotta love this franchise.

Wouldn't pay Murray a lot because they had data that said there was a downturn in production of TBs. But they are going to pay a crap ton to Zeke.

Note, Murray isn't as good as Zeke, so spare the responses. But the data doesn't change depending on who you have at TB. If they truly believed TBs, at the time of looking at Murray, decline during the period we will be paying Elliott a ton, and then drop $70MM on Elliott, they are insane.

There is such a thing as overpaying for Zeke, but that amount of money is way higher than what was overpaying for Murray. The Eagles absurdly overpaid for Murray and we didn't match it, thank goodness. It would be an interesting discussion to determine how much is the max that should be paid to keep Zeke.

Sydla

Reaction score
Common sense.

Why would the cowboys outdo the Gurley deal by 3 mil per season when they still have all the leverage?

Well for starters, forget the average per year. That's not a real number. The more important number is the guaranteed money because that's what really affects the cap.

Second, Stephen Jones basically said Gurley is the bar and Elliott should exceed that.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Murray got $21MM guaranteed from Philly. Gurley, who Stephen Jones admitted today is the starting point for Zeke, got $45MM guaranteed. So right there, that's double the real money Murray got and some expect Elliott to get more.

You literally said the words “A CONTRACT 2-3 TIMES LARGER”

Don’t pull the guaranteed nonsense now that I proved it wrong.

2-3x larger than 45 million is what children?
90-135 mil.

When the highest paid RB in history has a 57 million dollar deal.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score

90-135 mil.

If you’re upset because you worded it incorrectly that’s cool. But his contract won’t be 2-3 times larger than Murray signed for. That’s basic facts.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Common sense.

Why would the cowboys outdo the Gurley deal by 3 mil per season when they still have all the leverage?

The Gurley deal won't be what Zeke looks at - it will be what Bell gets, which will be a bidding war on the open market with a few teams who have the cap space to give him big money and even front loaded contract. Bell could have gotten $14 million to play this year and refused.

And I think Zeke, and most of you geniuses, 100 believes he's head and shoulders the best RB in the league and might get the most expensive RB deal we've seen. Heck, most of you are the ones stating he's the "engine" for this offense, he's what makes us tick, right? You're providing all the arguments for him and his agent.

Sydla

Reaction score

90-135 mil.

Guaranteed money is the only number that really matters. Most people acknowledge that.

But if you want to claim the win, fine. I should have said guaranteed money. In the end, the point still stands about the excess financial commitment.