Stephen Jones: "We're looking forward to signing our own guys"

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't see the point in resigning players who are only after the bag of cash. They need players who want to win

I don't even know what this means. Are you saying guys like Lamb and Parsons just want the cash?

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't see the point in resigning players who are only after the bag of cash. They need players who want to win
Signing players that aren't after a bag of cash leads to you filling your roster with a bunch of Carlos Watkins types.

To get good players in the NFL, you've got to pay.

I'm not saying that Dallas needs to resign every one of their own guys, in fact, I would probably rather them blow this thing up and trade some guys for draft capital, but this notion that there are tons of good players willing to play on the cheap just to win is just not true.

Sydla

Reaction score
We've seen the ceiling with this team. What's the point of re-signing any of them?
Because Lamb and Parsons are elite players?

Even if you blow it up you still need good players. You still are going to want good players around to help shorten the time you might be down as you go through a rebuild. If you send Dak packing, you don't want Lance or your drafted QB throwing to Deonte Thompson and Allen Hurns types, LOL.

I am generally curious here. Are you guys advocating that we just let Lamb and Parsons and I guess a few others that could be due new deals just walk?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yet you have people who want all of these guys signed. I mean where have we been with all of these guys as you've stated, i'd be fine but here comes "well who are you going to replace them with??" Uhh a martian!! lol, duh another football player, it's not that hard! Take your lumps, and build something with some new faces. What are we going to do have 4+ more years of the same high stat seasons, only to not win in the playoffs etc??
I think the general rule in the NFL is a QB on a rookie deal loaded at other positions. If your QB can’t lead the team to a Super Bowl in first 5 years , it’s a poor gamble paying him more and trying to win with less talent around him. I can see making that bet on a guy like Josh Allen who’s taken his team to the AFC title game twice with nothing at RB and one good wr.

I’d like to do what SF is doing. Cheap QB with a loaded roster.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they started signing these guys before free agency began to open up cap room I wouldn't have had an issue. If they are looking to move on from at least one from the Dak/Lamb/Parsons trio and have a mini rebuild in mind I wont have an issue. If they intentionally skipped free agency putting the blame on these guys contracts and upcoming contracts only to sign them after free agency is over it would be extremely disheartening....not because I don't think any of the three are quality players, but because it just shows that Jerry/Stephen have no intention of truly competing for a championship this year despite telling the fans they are.
Disheartening ? It would be incredibly stupid to sign them now unless it’s a sign and trade. There is no benefit to creating more cap space in 2024. Who we gonna sign?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I don't even know what this means. Are you saying guys like Lamb and Parsons just want the cash?
CeeDee literally said as much on Parsons podcast when he said he’s about making millions and catching TDs. Winning wasn’t discussed.

Parson would rather get punched in the stomach by professional boxers than show up to practice and be a leader.

Winning is firmly behind money and brand for these two.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
CeeDee literally said as much on Parsons podcast when he said he’s about making millions and catching TDs. Winning wasn’t discussed.

Parson would rather get punched in the stomach by professional boxers than show up to practice and be a leader.

Winning is firmly behind money and brand for these two.
I agree with you on this, going soley off their own words and actions its hard to dispute. Could they change?...Maybe but probably not here with this FO..

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Disheartening ? It would be incredibly stupid to sign them now unless it’s a sign and trade. There is no benefit to creating more cap space in 2024. Who we gonna sign?
Agree. There is absolutely zero argument as to why waiting until after the draft to extend Dak/Lamb is beneficial to this team. It just means Jerry/Stephen get an excuse for not adding anything via free agency and they are not serious about winning a super bowl.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
How would you blow it up? We suck at trading. So, the only other option is to let guys play out their deals.
I'd look to trade these guys for picks in 2025 so the new coaching staff can pick their own players, plus you should be able to get a better quantity of picks that way.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree. There is absolutely zero argument as to why waiting until after the draft to extend Dak/Lamb is beneficial to this team. It just means Jerry/Stephen get an excuse for not adding anything via free agency and they are not serious about winning a super bowl.
Well, We know they have no clue how to build a team. Easiest team in the league to second guess.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
If they started signing these guys before free agency began to open up cap room I wouldn't have had an issue. If they are looking to move on from at least one from the Dak/Lamb/Parsons trio and have a mini rebuild in mind I wont have an issue. If they intentionally skipped free agency putting the blame on these guys contracts and upcoming contracts only to sign them after free agency is over it would be extremely disheartening....not because I don't think any of the three are quality players, but because it just shows that Jerry/Stephen have no intention of truly competing for a championship this year despite telling the fans they are.
why do you say they're not quality players?? I agree, we missed out on getting a good free agent and blame these guys only to sign them, I'm going to cut whatever hair off my head that I have left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
Because Lamb and Parsons are elite players?

Even if you blow it up you still need good players. You still are going to want good players around to help shorten the time you might be down as you go through a rebuild. If you send Dak packing, you don't want Lance or your drafted QB throwing to Deonte Thompson and Allen Hurns types, LOL.

I am generally curious here. Are you guys advocating that we just let Lamb and Parsons and I guess a few others that could be due new deals just walk?
I dont think either is worth max money. I would trade each.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I dont think either is worth max money. I would trade each.
I know this will sound like "Get off my lawn guy", and I'm no spring chicken, but thats the shame in this FO..They both could be WELL WORTH it with good direction from a real football FO...the talent of both jump off the field when they are focues on winning..they will not be the first players who this FO has wasted the talent of.