Video: Stephen Jones: Will Jaylon Play? Zeke Update

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think you have some of your timelines off. The department store chain deal was in 2002, with JC Penney, after the Cowboys broke from the NFL Licensing agreement. When the league signed Reebok as the official apparel producer in 2001, there was language in the contract that would allow teams to opt out and handle their own merchandising is they saw fit. Jones acted upon that language in July of 2015 and within a week, had a deal signed with JC Penney.

Cowboys owned stores didn't come about until around then too.

In the end, Jones walked away with more money in his pocket than he did before the league sued him. He didn't give up any merchandising rights that weren't already pledged to the league. You'd be hard pressed to find any article at that time or since or any expert on the business of sports that would call Jones a loser there.

No, I do not. Jerry was going to do the exact same thing but instead of sharing revenue with the rest of the league, just keep it. It's no shock that the NFL went forward with it because Jerry is not stupid. It was a good idea but originally, it was never going to be a revenue shared thing. Same with the Cowboy Stores.

The question of how much money Jerry walked away with is irrelevant. The question is how much more he could have put in his pockets.

I guess we can chase this dog in circles all day but doesn't really make a lot of sense. I don't agree with you and you don't agree with me.

I don't believe Jerry will fight the league if suspensions come. JMO

Sydla

Reaction score
No, I do not. Jerry was going to do the exact same thing but instead of sharing revenue with the rest of the league, just keep it. It's no shock that the NFL went forward with it because Jerry is not stupid. It was a good idea but originally, it was never going to be a revenue shared thing. Same with the Cowboy Stores.

The question of how much money Jerry walked away with is irrelevant. The question is how much more he could have put in his pockets.

I guess we can chase this dog in circles all day but doesn't really make a lot of sense. I don't agree with you and you don't agree with me.

I don't believe Jerry will fight the league if suspensions come. JMO

I think he will fight the league depending on the punishment. If it's a game, I suspect he goes quietly. If it's like 4 games or more, I think he'll put up a fight or at least make it seem like he's going to fight the league. It's certainly possible he may do nothing, but I think dismissing the notion that he'll just take it on the rump is misguided.

Sage3030

Reaction score
I don't think they can take his signing bonus. I think they can only fine him on his base salary so if that's the case, it's seriously less then 400K.

Well now with the 6 games, and his guarantees voided, I'm reading he has to repay 240,000 a game. Times 6 that's over a million bucks, and now he has no guarantees potentially losing even more. It is worth it for him.