Stephen on DT Mazi Smith: "He didn't play as much as we would have liked (last season)

ShortRound

Reaction score

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones on @1053thefan on DT Mazi Smith: "He didn't play as much as we would have liked (last season). I think it was a learning process with him, learning what Dan (Quinn) wanted out of the defensive linemen. We knew when we drafted him out of Michigan that he was asked to play the one-technique a little different than Dan likes to see it played. I think the way (Mike Zimmer) is going to ask these guys to play is probably a little more in line with what he did at Michigan. But we feel really good about Mazi."

https://twitter.com/jonmachota/status/1780274908905308654

Chasing6

Reaction score

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones on @1053thefan on DT Mazi Smith: "He didn't play as much as we would have liked (last season). I think it was a learning process with him, learning what Dan (Quinn) wanted out of the defensive linemen. We knew when we drafted him out of Michigan that he was asked to play the one-technique a little different than Dan likes to see it played. I think the way (Mike Zimmer) is going to ask these guys to play is probably a little more in line with what he did at Michigan. But we feel really good about Mazi."

Just confirms the organization was not on the same page with drafting Mazi.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score

Wow. This just proves that our leadership is playing checkers, while the 49ers, the Packers, the Steelers, the Chiefs, and the Eagles are playing chess.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We knew when we drafted him out of Michigan that he was asked to play the one-technique a little different than Dan likes to see it played. I think the way (Mike Zimmer) is going to ask these guys to play is probably a little more in line with what he did at Michigan.
So much for putting the players in the best situations to perform at their best.

How screwing around with their first round pick sounded like a great idea is beyond me.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Need to let Mazi be Mazi, then we can grade him properly. If he can eat up space and free up LB's to make plays, I am good with that.
He's gotta learn to actually play football first. He's gotten by on raw strength before the NFL level, and has found out that at the NFL level you actually have to know how to play the positions.

What a colossal bust this reach in the first round has turned out to be. We reached a round early for a need and got a guy who doesn't even know how to play football. He doesn't even like football according to him so it makes sense he never bothered to learn.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
So much for putting the players in the best situations to perform at their best.

How screwing around with their first round pick sounded like a great idea is beyond me.
Poor self scouting rears it's ugly head.

I would imagine that the coaches and scouts thought they could get him going with the new techniques. I am curious where the rubber met the road in the disconnect.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why doesn't Matches ask him about Mazi's weight loss? Just ask him.
Reporters and podcasters lose access if they ask questions that may embarrass cowboys ownership or staff. That’s why they only field softball, overly respectful questions from Dallas media. Asking about Mazis weight is a thinly cornering into admitting they botched it.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Reporters and podcasters lose access if they ask questions that may embarrass cowboys ownership or staff. That’s why they only field softball, overly respectful questions from Dallas media. Asking about Mazis weight is a thinly cornering into admitting they botched it.
They also have to be pre-approved questions turned in 48 hours in advance.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
He's gotta learn to actually play football first. He's gotten by on raw strength before the NFL level, and has found out that at the NFL level you actually have to know how to play the positions.

What a colossal bust this reach in the first round has turned out to be. We reached a round early for a need and got a guy who doesn't even know how to play football. He doesn't even like football according to him so it makes sense he never bothered to learn.
I've always said that he is a beast of a man but not a football player.