Stephen on DT Mazi Smith: "He didn't play as much as we would have liked (last season)

Mikexike

Reaction score
There’s a draft room video of the debate prior to making the pick. Mazi and Bergeron were the two targets.

But McClay was full blown going to bat for Mazi. McCarthy also gave Mazi the nod. Jerry seemed clueless as always, he just didn’t want to trade down and miss out on both Mazi and Bergeron, lol.
They rolled the dice on the wrong guy..... I bet last season is a lot different if we went with Bergeron......

75boyz

Reaction score
I agree with some of the other previous posters about him just being bad at football.

You can't sit here and tell me that the performance he put on film last season was in any way shape or form as promising.

Nowhere to go but up.
I mean, at least I hope.

Looks to be another bust. I'll give him this year, but I mean if improvement is all we're seeking he put down a pretty low bar to easily improve upon.
What will we end up applauding as baby steps? That he got driven backwards only 5 yards instead of 10?

Just wow.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones on @1053thefan on DT Mazi Smith: "He didn't play as much as we would have liked (last season). I think it was a learning process with him, learning what Dan (Quinn) wanted out of the defensive linemen. We knew when we drafted him out of Michigan that he was asked to play the one-technique a little different than Dan likes to see it played. I think the way (Mike Zimmer) is going to ask these guys to play is probably a little more in line with what he did at Michigan. But we feel really good about Mazi."

essentially to show that we are good at drafting and didn't waste a pick, we are going to force Mazi to start. then at the end of the year, admit he is average or below average (ala Taco Charlton) and come up with an excuse and perhaps try to resign Hankins in two years and call it a day.

now, what's their comment about Schoonmaker?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones on @1053thefan on DT Mazi Smith: "He didn't play as much as we would have liked (last season). I think it was a learning process with him, learning what Dan (Quinn) wanted out of the defensive linemen. We knew when we drafted him out of Michigan that he was asked to play the one-technique a little different than Dan likes to see it played. I think the way (Mike Zimmer) is going to ask these guys to play is probably a little more in line with what he did at Michigan. But we feel really good about Mazi."

Takes an entire season to get better, and to get familiar with the scheme?? No as it looks now, he's not a good player. Can he get better absolutely

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I agree with some of the other previous posters about him just being bad at football.

You can't sit here and tell me that the performance he put on film last season was in any way shape or form as promising.

Nowhere to go but up.
I mean, at least I hope.

Looks to be another bust. I'll give him this year, but I mean if improvement is all we're seeking he put down a pretty low bar to easily improve upon.
What will we end up applauding as baby steps? That he got driven backwards only 5 yards instead of 10?

Just wow.
When I saw that oh my gosh!!!! Told people about uhh stop it COOG, then they started to see it too

fivetwos

Reaction score
The idea of holding out hope that recent draftees hit their upside is fine if you are rebuilding, and absolutely not if you’re trying to win and need immediate help.

I don’t know that the kid recognizes the difference. It’s just….’is this player worth the money or not?’

He has no problem leaving a gaping hole on the field if he doesn’t get that player for the right terms in a season when they are supposedly trying to win it all. Then it’s a full overpay for the guys whose jerseys hang in the gift shop since they waited too long.

It’s gross mismanagement, and if that “draft well” thing wasn’t false, this thread wouldn’t exist.

Praxit

Reaction score
..well, will see. Dont want to write him off, just yet.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
We are in the time of year where Stephen loves to wax poetic about how all our 2nd year players are gonna do big things, all our injured guys are gonna be back better than ever, all our new draft picks are gonna contribute, and all our vets are in the best shape of their lives.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Wow. This just proves that our leadership is playing checkers, while the 49ers, the Packers, the Steelers, the Chiefs, and the Eagles are playing chess.
They are not even playing Checkers; they are sitting around playing with the contents of their diapers.

And before the Jones Fan Boys come a running, yes, they are extremly successful business men. I am talking football.

JayFord

Reaction score
I wish Stephen would stop talking

i rather Jerry do all the talking,or heck let Charlotte do the talking

Stephen makes me want to punch a wall