Stephen on DT Mazi Smith: "He didn't play as much as we would have liked (last season)

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Or he could be like a lot of other players and improve in their first full offseason with their club.
He had a full offseason with us last year. The reviews on him were bad from day one and never got better as the season went on. He was given only 4 snaps against GB. He may end up being a worse pick than Taco.

shabazz

Reaction score
Or he could be like a lot of other players and improve in their first full offseason with their club.
I'm with you on this Fuzzy Blumpkin.......he's got to get another year at least before we can draw any conclusions.

The good part is that if he still struggles under a different DC, we'll be able to identify that the issue is with him rather than the coaching and scheme

1942willys

Reaction score
I'm with you on this Fuzzy Blumpkin.......he's got to get another year at least before we can draw any conclusions.

The good part is that if he still struggles under a different DC, we'll be able to identify that the issue is with him rather than the coaching and scheme
there is that; we might be able to get rid of him in two years instead of waiting for three

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Cowboys realized there was a problem with Mazi in training camp. They played him the entire game in the final preseason game, which you don’t see teams do with their first round pick. They knew he needed a lot of work. The fact he showed little to no improvement as the season went on was alarming. Everytime he was on the field we struggled even worse against the run. We’ll likely draft another DT if we see one we like.

ghst187

Reaction score
I get that but dude couldn’t even play football and that was evident on his college tape too.
Slow off the snap, doesn’t require a double team, teams ran right at him, can’t even hold the point of attack. He was so bad that even as a first round pick being groomed to replace Hankins, they couldn’t trust him.

shabazz

Reaction score
there is that; we might be able to get rid of him in two years instead of waiting for three
There should be ZERO sacred cows on this team.......I just have to give any player more than just 1 season......just like Schoonmaker.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I get that but dude couldn’t even play football and that was evident on his college tape too.
Slow off the snap, doesn’t require a double team, teams ran right at him, can’t even hold the point of attack. He was so bad that even as a first round pick being groomed to replace Hankins, they couldn’t trust him.
He played well in Michigans read and react scheme. This notion that his college tape indicated he could not play football is nonsense.

I am not sure what Harbaugh, DQ, Durde, or Mazi were teaching, doing, or really anything specific. I am similarly sure that no one around here does either.

I do enjoy everyone ideating worst possible outcomes and pretending it is the only way though. People regularly struggle with ambiguity.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
There should be ZERO sacred cows on this team.......I just have to give any player more than just 1 season......just like Schoonmaker.
you can give up on whatever you want whenever you want. How you do that only speaks about you though. that is the rub.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Micah was gaslighting MAZI up to DQ and that's how we ended up with him, shoulda coulda had OL Bergeron.....
There’s a draft room video of the debate prior to making the pick. Mazi and Bergeron were the two targets.

But McClay was full blown going to bat for Mazi. McCarthy also gave Mazi the nod. Jerry seemed clueless as always, he just didn’t want to trade down and miss out on both Mazi and Bergeron, lol.