Stephen on Tuesday: "We will not be conservative"

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
"We're going to take a conservative approach with building our team, be very careful and not take risks" said no executive ever.
:lmao: ya man, like seriously,:lmao2:

*I was just gonna post the : ":huh: =puzzled befuddlement " concercerning this thread, but you're post was so much more intellectually insightful& quite HILARIOUS at the same time,,,I was compelled to piggyback off of it in agreement:thumbup:

Carson

Reaction score
This means they make an actual run at Earl Thomas.

I believe Thomas is pretty much a lock to sign here.

Now unless somebody like Green Bay, Indy, San Fran blow him away, he’s coming here.

The rest of the dominoes is what is going to be interesting to see.

Hopefully we sign starting caliber DT, WR and TE

JayFord

Reaction score
I believe Thomas is pretty much a lock to sign here.

Now unless somebody like Green Bay, Indy, San Fran blow him away, he’s coming here.

The rest of the dominoes is what is going to be interesting to see.

Hopefully we sign starting caliber DT, WR and TE

A lock?

He’s gonna take that 4 year 3 million dollar contract we probably offered

Carson

Reaction score
A lock?

He’s gonna take that 4 year 3 million dollar contract we probably offered

Lol.

That’s what I meant unless he is blown away by other deals. If everything is similar and close, he will come here.

But yeah. You’re likely right. I’m sure they’ll guarantee the 1 million though

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Operative words there are "with our personnel". Signing your own isn't aggressive, it's defensive. Signing other team's starting personnel is aggressive.

I'm reading is it different.......as in players/personnel for the team. I didn't say our own.......just my take. However, he's never been shy about his disdain for spending aggressively in free agency but I'm hoping it means a different approach to bottom feeders vs mid-level.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aggressive aka not conservative for this discussion could boil down to spending lots of money on contracts.

However the majority of those contracts will probably be for our own players to keep/extend them.

Maybe one or two notable FAs from other teams aka ET....but for the most part lots of money spent on contracts for our current players.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
New "aggressive" plan by Stephen Jones for Free Agency:

Day One - Sign Earl Thomas but only because the man literally came up to us and told us he wanted to play in Dallas

Day Two - Costa Rica

Day Twenty-Three - Reach out to agents of remaining free agents and see if willing to play in Dallas for less than what the Alliance pays their players

Day Thirty - Asks Jerry if he gets to keep remaining cap room dollars

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
FS- EThomas
TE- TEifert/JCook
DT- Suh/McCoy/GJarrett
DE- DFowler/BGraham/Flowers
RB- TJYeldon/SWare/TColeman

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FS- EThomas
TE- TEifert/JCook
DT- Suh/McCoy/GJarrett
DE- DFowler/BGraham/Flowers
RB- TJYeldon/SWare/TColeman

I like a lot of those names, but I don't expect a lot of them to be available.

glimmerman

Reaction score
We will sign 2 players and maybe try for ET. Which ET may not be the best move with other needs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think McCoy is the only one under contract

With reports surfacing that they intend to keep him.

I don't expect the Cowboys will have a chance at Jared Cook, both because I think the Raiders keep him and that these Cowboys can't afford him compared to other teams.

I also don't think Grady Jarrett gets out of Atlanta without a tag at least, nor do I think the Patriots let Flowers walk, just like the Seahawks won't with Frank Clark. Teams don't let pass rushers in their prime get away.

But I do think that there's a good chance that the Cowboys land both Earl Thomas and Tyler Eifert.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Earl Thomas, Tyler Eifert, and some DL help will go a loooong ways.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I am assuming we get DL help. ET May come here and I think they mentioned TE interest. Signing D-Law will take a chunk and SJ may get skimpy after that.

Once D-Law saw Gregory getting suspended I am betting his agent drove the price up.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think that's what we're getting. And I don't think you can ask for more than that if they're going to keep several of their own pending free agents in the next few seasons. It seems reasonable to me from both sides of the equation.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I think they might pay EVERYBODY because:

1. An ugly strike looms ahead.

2. The sport is about to start a slow death spiral due to CTE and a shrinking talent pool.

3. Jerry is getting very old very fast.

The NFL is entering its twilight years. Might as well go for it now.

The CBA is going to get nasty. On the money side, ratings are falling and the NFL's lifeblood of network TV revenue is just about tapped out. And there are some huge grievances on the players' end that they're going to fight - drug policy, arbitrary commish suspensions, Thursday night games that get a ton of players injured coming off short weeks - it's going to be a mess. I honestly think those negotiations could make or break the future of the sport.