Stephen on whether he will be the next GM: I'm not thinking about that

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones when asked on @1053thefan if he sees himself taking over as the team's general manager one day:

"I don't think about that. I want to enjoy every moment with my father. He's the owner and the president and the GM. I cherish every minute that I've gotten to work with my father. A lot of people don't get that opportunity. I cherish the opportunity. I want to be where my feet are. There's that old saying that Dak (Prescott) likes to use, enjoy what you're doing at the moment.

"We'll cross that road one day. No one's getting out of here alive the last I checked. At some point that may be the case, but we'll worry about those things when they happen. I just want to enjoy working with him and being a part of something special. I know right now we're frustrated with how our team is competing on the field, but overall we've had a hell of a run and think we got a lot left in us."

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Besides the last sentence, that may be the first quote I've read from Stephen in years that I didn't roll my eyes at.

And he didn't say "obviously" or "at the end of the day" once!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
"but overall we've had a hell of a run"

Three decades of the worst Cowboys football in its history.

They truly are delusional.

Oh, and you can bet your first born that he's diving into that GM chair before it even gets cold.
They are still riding on the fumes from those 3 SB’s in the 90’s with Jimmy’s built teams .

Which has basically provided them a pass for the last 3 decades.

How else can we explain the huge financial success and support fans have provided these idiots since.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The Cowboys have had a great run, when was the last time they put a losing team on the field
This organization has always had a chance
But that’s part of it, when you play average, that’s where you draft average
You need to lose for two or three seasons, to build again. Maybe this is the first year of the rebuild true rebuild.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think they are selling the team. Maybe that's way out in left field, but I think the "run" hes talking about is AS THE OWNERS of the team, running the team. I don't think Stephen was talking about on the field stuff. Maybe I am just reading tea leaves.

stiletto

Reaction score
I think they are selling the team. Maybe that's way out in left field, but I think the "run" hes talking about is AS THE OWNERS of the team, running the team. I don't think Stephen was talking about on the field stuff. Maybe I am just reading tea leaves.
Why would they sell the gift that keeps giving them $500 million a year? Ain't happenin' unless a scandal occurs.

Rayman70

Reaction score
We think about Stephen as the next GM and we don't like what we see.
Honestly, I don't think he plans on being part of the organization in any capacity once Daddy dies. I think Jerry is setting everything up for the sons and family to have a golden parachute of sorts once he dies. Look at how he's been handling the team the last 3 years especially. Buy low, SELL HIGH as they say. Remember this, Jerry is a very astute businessman FIRST. Results on the field simply are cannon fodder to him as are we fans. Hate it, but its the truth. Jerry is behaving like a man who is maximizing his investment so he can flip it. Its all my own theory.

Reactions: CWR

Rayman70

Reaction score
Jerry is a giving man, too giving at times. Stephen is shrewd and cheap. It’s not going to be fun.
I think Stephen despises the team and has no plans of owning it after Daddy dies. Hes a trust fund kid, and has no love of the team and the game.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Why would they sell the gift that keeps giving them $500 million a year? Ain't happenin' unless a scandal occurs.
Jerry won't care, he will be taking a dirt nap. Keep in mind, Stephen Jones is here only because of his Dad and never really wanted any part of the team in any capacity. He was grandfathered in. Charlotte Jones is more concerned about Art rather than the team. Writing is on the wall guys, if we want to see it. I think Jerry and Stephen are making plans, which is why we fans and the media have been so perplexed.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The Cowboys have had a great run, when was the last time they put a losing team on the field
This organization has always had a chance
But that’s part of it, when you play average, that’s where you draft average
You need to lose for two or three seasons, to build again. Maybe this is the first year of the rebuild true rebuild.
I’ve always felt the same way, but they don’t seem to want to take a step back for 2-3 years to take a real shot at 4-5 year actual chance for a deep run….nor do they seem to be able to realize where they are within either cycle. Doesn’t take forever to go from awful to contender in the NFL.

The system is set up that way and they think they can swim against the tide.

Do they think all the fans will go away? Merch sales will drop? Is it better to get fans so annoyed with them?

I just wish they would be honest for once and I’d have a lot more confidence moving ahead.

vlad

Reaction score
They are still riding on the fumes from those 3 SB’s in the 90’s with Jimmy’s built teams .

Which has basically provided them a pass for the last 3 decades.

How else can we explain the huge financial success and support fans have provided these idiots since.
I just had a vision of someone graffiti up the roof of the stadium “House Jimmy Built” on one side and “Jimmy’s 3 Superbowls” On the other lol