Stephen on whether he will be the next GM: I'm not thinking about that

Surfguy

Reaction score
That would require him to flip the brain on/off switch to "on".

Best to just pick up the pieces when the time comes eh Stephen?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones when asked on @1053thefan if he sees himself taking over as the team's general manager one day:

"I don't think about that. I want to enjoy every moment with my father. He's the owner and the president and the GM. I cherish every minute that I've gotten to work with my father. A lot of people don't get that opportunity. I cherish the opportunity. I want to be where my feet are. There's that old saying that Dak (Prescott) likes to use, enjoy what you're doing at the moment.

"We'll cross that road one day. No one's getting out of here alive the last I checked. At some point that may be the case, but we'll worry about those things when they happen. I just want to enjoy working with him and being a part of something special. I know right now we're frustrated with how our team is competing on the field, but overall we've had a hell of a run and think we got a lot left in us."

he doesn't care because he controls the money and contracts. any GM would be hog tied on how stephen does contracts, and manages the cap. no one will ever succeed with Cowboys as long as Jethro and his son are running the show.

Rayman70

Reaction score
he doesn't care because he controls the money and contracts. any GM would be hog tied on how stephen does contracts, and manages the cap. no one will ever succeed with Cowboys as long as Jethro and his son are running the show.
If I didn't know better, it looks like they are positioning the team and themselves to unload the franchise. Like a golden parachute of sorts. Why else would they behave in the way they have, its really bizarre.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If I didn't know better, it looks like they are positioning the team and themselves to unload the franchise. Like a golden parachute of sorts. Why else would they behave in the way they have, its really bizarre.
maybe. who knows...but don't forget Jerry's ego....if he sells the franchise, he will go down as the worst GM in NFL ever. and I don't think because of that he will sell.

maybe after he is gone, Stephen and family decide to sell.

btw, this is a money making machine, not just in value, but in cash flow......

Rayman70

Reaction score
maybe. who knows...but don't forget Jerry's ego....if he sells the franchise, he will go down as the worst GM in NFL ever. and I don't think because of that he will sell.

maybe after he is gone, Stephen and family decide to sell.

btw, this is a money making machine, not just in value, but in cash flow......
I agree, AFTER JERRY. Which might be real soon. Thats what I mean. I seriously don't believe anyone in the Jones Clan want any part of the team day to day operations after Jerry is gone. They just behave luke warm all the time. Jerry would never sell per say, but the others would in a heartbeat. Think about it, look at all the outside ventures tied to the team that make money hand over fist. The latest being Indy Car racing. In 2 years or whatever, lets say Jerry is gone, IMAGINE the boondoggle it would be for the family if they sold the team to the highest bidder and what that would mean for them. You are talking upwards of 30-40 billion by that time. Its currently worth just over 10 billion. Not too mention the family has many other businesses worth millions.

quickccc

Reaction score
Stephen will be the next GM for life and he will be worse than Jerry, I can pretty much guarantee that.
- Jerry was care free with the salary cap spending.. .and " toyed " with the NFL draft to a disgusting, embarrassing degree ..

If Jerry didn't give in to his support group ( Stephen, MCClay) on draft day - super-clown QB Johnny Manzell would have been the utter laughing stock of his life.

- Stephen is " cap Boy" ultra conservative , which really limits us in potential brilliant MIDDLE GROUND personnel manuevers .
The LB Roque Smith...the non-signing of Derrick Henry...

- Only matters to Stephen's credits has been the Amari Cooper 1st rd trade ... and typical late round bargain trades ala CB Stephen Gilmore, Brandon Cooks,
Johnathan Hankins and DE Robert Quinn.

Because of our conservative nature we just will not be on the level of front office such as Baltimore (derrick henry) .. Detroit, KC Chiefs or even Philly.
We seem to depend soley on McClay's NFL draft and street FA finds (ala brandin aubrey) and late round trade bargains

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When Stephen started talking about how much he loves his daddy, I threw up in my mouth a little! :facepalm:
^ Seriously. The host asks, "Do you envision yourself taking over as GM one day?" In return, Stephen Jones deflects by waxing poetically about working with daddy. And that is his explanation for not answering a simple life question.

Is he a 60-year-old daddy's boy? Was he thinking what his father would say after hearing his response to the question?

Perhaps he thought Jerry Jones would grill him at some point over what he said. "So you're already thinking about taking over after I punch my ticket? What else are you planning? I would like to know. Maybe I should revise my will. Did you envisioning something like that happening? Charlotte! Junior! Both of you! Get in here!"

garyo1954

Reaction score
So the whole family loves daddy so much they are willingly giving up any life they could have to live daddy's dream?

Isn't that some sort of disorder (in normal people I mean)?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
^ Seriously. The host asks, "Do you envision yourself taking over as GM one day?" In return, Stephen Jones deflects by waxing poetically about working with daddy. And that is his explanation for not answering a simple life question.

Is he a 60-year-old daddy's boy? Was he thinking what his father would say after hearing his response to the question?

Perhaps he thought Jerry Jones would grill him at some point over what he said. "So you're already thinking about taking over after I punch my ticket? What else are you planning? I would like to know. Maybe I should revise my will. Did you envisioning something like that happening? Charlotte! Junior! Both of you! Get in here!"
Each and every member of the Jones family is enjoying the benefits of the luxuries that daddy is able to provide. That, alone, might easily explain why their steadfast devotion to him remains intact. I'm sure they have the sort of lifestyle that they wouldn't have otherwise, without their daddy and his multimillions and billions that he's able to share with them. Doing anything that might jeopardize that fine lifestyle is probably out of the question.

Last edited:

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
"but overall we've had a hell of a run"

Three decades of the worst Cowboys football in its history.

They truly are delusional.

Oh, and you can bet your first born that he's diving into that GM chair before it even gets cold.
Maybe he means all the money they made. That's a hell of a run!

Preoccupied

Reaction score
"but overall we've had a hell of a run"

Three decades of the worst Cowboys football in its history.

They truly are delusional.

Oh, and you can bet your first born that he's diving into that GM chair before it even gets cold.
Yeah we've been to run to hell and we ain't come back yet.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Each and every member of the Jones family is enjoying the benefits of the luxuries that daddy is able to provide. That, alone, might easily explain why their steadfast devotion to him remains intact. I'm sure they have the sort of lifestyle that they wouldn't have otherwise, without their daddy and his multimillions and billions that he's able to share with them. Doing anything that might jeopardize that fine lifestyle is probably out of the question.
“I see myself taking over for my father one day and carrying on the championship tradition of winning he started. (barf)​

They are truly pathetic if they feel a PR answer like that jeopardizes their lifestyles.