Stephen: Prescott's contract structure will "allow us to do some things"

Mannix

Reaction score
All I keep thinking about is Nolan Carroll and that bust DB we signed from the Vikings a couple years back....oh, and Not Funny Clinton Dix.

Mannix

Reaction score
Spend the money.....figure S out!!! For all you longtime Maverick fans, I still remember the worst GM in the history of ever....Norm Sonju....trying to figure out the salary cap in the early 90's....signing garbage players....whilst having a garbage starting lineup....meanwhile, the Lakers signed whoever they wanted to....whenever they wanted to....with zero repercussion.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I find it interesting people holler about Dak getting overpaid but do not mind overpaying for FA that often never live up to the deal. I recall the fit many threw because Jerry did not go out and pay Earl Thomas top money, looking back it was a great move not signing Earl. I have no issue using the draft to find players whom I want longer term and using draft to fill voids. More times than not these FA moves do not pan out

And how about all the turds that were jumping up and down happy we signed Zeke for 90 million? Same clowns that are mad we resigned Dak.

Sydla

Reaction score
Because teams overpay especially early in FA and it has seldom helped. You pay out boat load then the player does not perform as expected. You may have an issue with getting a guy like Robert Quinn, David Irvin, Joe Loony I don't. then again what I want is vet players who can come in an help fill voids. How you would do things that is your choice

And the results on the field show what Dallas has been doing has been working, right?

The Cowboys have largely failed FA for years now. And I suspect they've learned nothing and will continue to ham and egg it because Jerry and Stephen are stubborn.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All I keep thinking about is Nolan Carroll and that bust DB we signed from the Vikings a couple years back....oh, and Not Funny Clinton Dix.

All good players. It's just very hard to make this roster.

Flamma

Reaction score
How much cap do the team have?

It's hard to say. If I look at Spotrac they're going by a 209 million dollar cap for the Cowboys. I guess they're adding roll over money? And we're only 2 million under the cap. But they haven't adjusted it for the restructures yet. With the 17 million in recent restructures, then take away around 9 million for rookies. Around 10 million?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just said at the press conference.

Now let's see if "doing some things" means more than rummaging through the Walmart discount bin.
In fairness, they did spend some money last year with Poe, McCoy and Griffen.

Of course, they all sucked (or got hurt in McCoy's case)

George

a legend in your own mind
Reaction score
The cap went down to $182,500,000. Between Dak, Zeke, Lawrence, Cooper and Martin.... what’s left... $80,000,000? Cap likely to continue to go down as revenue decreases. Anyone still like Dak signing?

Playmaker247

Reaction score
The cap went down to $182,500,000. Between Dak, Zeke, Lawrence, Cooper and Martin.... what’s left... $80,000,000? Cap likely to continue to go down as revenue decreases. Anyone still like Dak signing?
“The cap will likely continue to go down.” You don’t have to make stuff up to try and prove your point dude. Give it up

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Completely agree, we have the money to build a championship team but we lack the know how.

Money doesn't make you smart. I have money and I have no clue how to build a championship team.

Every team has exactly the same amount of money to spend on players. It has nothing to do with money. No team in the NFL can spend more than 182M on players next season. What separates us from teams that actually make Super Bowls is how we choose to spend that money. The Jones boys are fools in the area of personnel.

mardwin

Reaction score
Every team has exactly the same amount of money to spend on players. It has nothing to do with money. No team in the NFL can spend more than 182M on players next season. What separates us from teams that actually make Super Bowls is how we choose to spend that money. The Jones boys are fools in the area of personnel.

Some here don't understand that, they continue to over pay for players. Dak is not an exception but the norm.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I think we should all be a little honest with ourselves here. Last off season many here, myself included, thought we hit it out of the park with our veteran D line guys and it was a fail. I think the FO has conditioned us to think any money spent is fine. It’s not realistic but I’d hope they’d Target a few D guy that are a little above those...a S, LB and D line plug would do

Sydla

Reaction score
In fairness, they did spend some money last year with Poe, McCoy and Griffen.

Of course, they all sucked (or got hurt in McCoy's case)

Being burned on all three likely means they go back to the penny barrel.

In fairness, I think part of Griffen's issue was tied to Nolan. Nothing funnier than watching him drop Griffen and Lawrence into coverage.

Adreme

Reaction score
Im hoping the Cowboys dont go T1. T1 free agents are usually overrated. T2 is where the value is. When you sign high quality DLinemen for 10 mil a year, but if they are throwing 18 million at a Matt Judon for instance, that is not going to end well.

Mikemcm

Reaction score
Yippie you now what that means instead of shopping in the dollar bin they are going to move up to the 2 dollar bin.

plymkr

Reaction score
Exactly. 100% facts. We've always had money. We've had money the last 25 years.

Same results. Having money does not equate to having the talent to build a roster.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Being burned on all three likely means they go back to the penny barrel.

In fairness, I think part of Griffen's issue was tied to Nolan. Nothing funnier than watching him drop Griffen and Lawrence into coverage.

Maybe, but it also could be an indication they are starting to realize that free agency is a factor they have been overlooking. I guess time will teall.

Truthfully, Griffen wasn't bad, especially after signing so late, and we did at least get a conditional pick (5th or 6th round) when we traded him. But he didn't stand out either.

The Cowboys definitely got burned on McCoy and Poe though.