Stephen: Prescott's contract structure will "allow us to do some things"

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I honestly we're about to see a slightly different approach to free agency. One that actually started last with over-thirtysomething players. Remember in the past Stephen wouldn't touch 30+ players. Now that they are paying huge money on the QB position, I think we'll see an aggressive approach to getting all starting positions filled.

Bottom line, I'm guessing they are will bring in any defensive free agent player ( within reason ) MM and Quinn wants.

Sydla

Reaction score
I find it interesting people holler about Dak getting overpaid but do not mind overpaying for FA that often never live up to the deal. I recall the fit many threw because Jerry did not go out and pay Earl Thomas top money, looking back it was a great move not signing Earl. I have no issue using the draft to find players whom I want longer term and using draft to fill voids. More times than not these FA moves do not pan out

Are we going to do this stupid stuff again?

Few people are asking for Dallas to "overpay" for FAs like Dallas should make a big splash day one signing the two best FAs out there. There is a wide chasm between doing that and getting stupid in FA and what Dallas does which seemingly is wait a week or two and then start bringing in slop. How anyone can sit here and defend what Dallas does in FA is hilarious to me.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Areas that fill a void. I think more times than not high priced FA brought in do not live up to billing. As soon as they are signed people will say it will take him a while to get acclimated and too an extent that is true. Trying to build a team through FA is a very expensive proposition, I would just as soon use my draft to build and use mid level FA to fill holes since we can't fill everything through the draft.
Well we have plenty of draft stock IMO, and I do agree with you somewhat about busting in FA, we have had our share.
Sometimes I guess you have to hope they make the right choice, we have no say.
Just a Tomlinson would be fine with me,, I would rather have just 1 that can get it done.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think he literally says the same phrase every year right before FA. Hey guys we have flexibility to "do some things".
This season is out of the ordinary. Owners were cash squeezed from declining revenue last year, cap squeezed from a reduced cap this year, but facing a big jump in cap soon with new tv deals coming.

Put it together, and this year should be a buying opportunity, and particularly for Jerry Deep Pockets, who has much better cash flow than most all owners.

Maybe they don't see it, but if it's any year, *this* year is the year they'll go shopping in free agency.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Actually there were still some criticisms of what they did in FA last year. When you look at last year through the prism of what Dallas usually does in FA, sure, it looked like filet mignon.

But when you got closer you realized, shoot, it still looks like a pile of poop, just not as big and smelly as previous years.

Dallas doesn't do free agency well.
That's obvious to anyone except apparently Jerry and Stephen.

True but I think that by choice, as stuck in their ways. Some I think were Garret and his issues of wanting certain kinds of guys, whereas with MM you get the impression he's intimidated by so-called alpha/diva players. Kinda like Jimmy Johnson in that way.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Whoever the available first rounders from eight years ago are is who Dallas will sign.

Ones that weren't total busts but never lived up to being a 1st rounder.

They remember the names and see it as value.

Meanwhile, not an ounce of football left in them.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Are we going to do this stupid stuff again?

Few people are asking for Dallas to "overpay" for FAs like Dallas should make a big splash day one signing the two best FAs out there. There is a wide chasm between doing that and getting stupid in FA and what Dallas does which seemingly is wait a week or two and then start bringing in slop. How anyone can sit here and defend what Dallas does in FA is hilarious to me.

Because teams overpay especially early in FA and it has seldom helped. You pay out boat load then the player does not perform as expected. You may have an issue with getting a guy like Robert Quinn, David Irvin, Joe Loony I don't. then again what I want is vet players who can come in an help fill voids. How you would do things that is your choice

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Really? Who had no issue?

Go search GeraldMccoy cowboys zone on Twitter.......there were a lot of people excited about our offseason....

"Finally addressed the DT position"
"McCarthy's writing the ship"
"Everson Griffen will be a game changer"
"Haha is a clear upgrade over Heath"

There were plenty and hell I Was one of them. I liked our offseason. I was worried about Poe and McCoy being the Panthers didn't want them......but aside from that I was ok with it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Actually there were still some criticisms of what they did in FA last year. When you look at last year through the prism of what Dallas usually does in FA, sure, it looked like filet mignon.

But when you got closer you realized, shoot, it still looks like a pile of poop, just not as big and smelly as previous years.

Dallas doesn't do free agency well. That's obvious to anyone except apparently Jerry and Stephen.
That's some revisionist history man...like I said I had my criticisms but we for the most part loved this offseason especially with Everson Griffen...granted, I think we all hated the wait and see approach they took but we thought we came out with a few starters. Little did we know we only came out with Greg the Leg.

Majic

Reaction score
My guess is we will be active right of the bat, but it will be ex Quinn guys

Praxit

Reaction score
..... "Allow us to do some things" Deciphered.....
giphy.gif

Creeper

Reaction score
The "Now Hiring" signs are going up in burger joints all over the Dallas - Ft Worth area.

Mannix

Reaction score
-----Look at you, all fancy, shopping at Walmart.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Funny of the day