Twitter: Stephen: Surtain vs. Horn: “It’s a great debate."

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He put on 10 pounds of muscle, going by the scouts and people I've heard he's 6'4 270 he will be an edge rusher in 4-3 or 3-4 olb... many teams don't know what to do with him!

No. I've watched this kid play, he can play a lot of positions but to say he's just going to be an Edge Rusher, that's just wrong to me. To say only 34 OLB, wrong. For the record, I believe he could be a LEO in our 43 and I know he can play all three LB positions in anybodies 43 scheme.

I just think this kid has a lot of skills and can do a lot of things. He's not just a 34 OLB fit IMO.

starfan1

Reaction score
Parsons is new to LB He instincts is off. He is a heck of am athlete but I'm taking surtain, actually Horn over both of them. Our LBS sucked also mostly because the dline in front of them were driven back right into their laps most plays

that's part of it. our LB suck because 1 of them has zilch for lateral movement and the other cant stay on the field. Parsons is rated higher on most boards and I think will have a quicker impact.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/prospect-rankings

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...rankings-big-board/1k5tiozjs62rl1k1weni83rroi

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-top-100-big-board

Carson

Reaction score
You take Surtain and be done with it. His technique is already NFL Toplevel.

Horn is a flag waiting to happen. Hes way too aggressive and grabby to get away with it in the flag loving NFL.
I’m with you. We already have grabby defenders in Brown and Lewis.

starfan1

Reaction score
No. I've watched this kid play, he can play a lot of positions but to say he's just going to be an Edge Rusher, that's just wrong to me. To say only 34 OLB, wrong. For the record, I believe he could be a LEO in our 43 and I know he can play all three LB positions in anybodies 43 scheme.

I just think this kid has a lot of skills and can do a lot of things. He's not just a 34 OLB fit IMO.
He's a LB and hes better than the crap we throw out there on a weekly basis ill take him or Parsons

lk8701

Reaction score
Let Will McClay decide. I don't want a repeat of the Taco (better scheme fit according to Marinelli) over TJ Watt (better talent) debacle.

Loso86

Reaction score

I agree with you he's very talented. I'm just going off of the rumors I am hearing.

Loso86

Reaction score
that's part of it. our LB suck because 1 of them has zilch for lateral movement and the other cant stay on the field. Parsons is rated higher on most boards and I think will have a quicker impact.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/prospect-rankings

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...rankings-big-board/1k5tiozjs62rl1k1weni83rroi

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-top-100-big-board
I don't think Dallas values him in that capacity sadly. I know he's a heck of an athlete

jnday

Reaction score
It's just our luck that we get the 10th pick and there's possibly no 'stud', turnover difference maker available.

It appears that this is clouding some peoples opinion....saying we have to get BPA, but denying that a technical not a highlight reel CB (Surtain) is probably that pick. OK he's probably not going to make the individual plays, however, he improves the system and will not only upgrade his corner, but also enable/assist/ allow Diggs to ballhawk against more WR2's.

It may be a hard take for some, but trading down from no.10 may be the best way of improving the team (Defense) over replacements. Whilst being a possible 'generational talent', at this moment in time the improvement Pitts gives over Schulz/Jarwin just pales into insignificance with the improvements we can make on the Defense with Surtain/Horn - single position, or more incrementally by trading down and improving a number of areas.
If Pitts turns out to be as good as expected, there is not a defensive player in this draft that could come close to having the impact that Pitts would have. A top ten pick gives the team a very rare chance to draft an elite talent that will make more plays in a year than most of these defenders will make in their whole careers. There is no Deion in this draft and it is questionable if there is a defensive player in this draft that would offer any kind of value at the 10th pick. I hope Pitts is gone TBH. I don’t like the ideal of using the 10th pick on a player that would be a 20th-25th pick in a draft with good defensive talent. They will not be getting much value with the 10th pick if they draft any of the defensive players. For that reason , I wouldn’t mind them trading back if they are determined to draft defense and I have never liked the ideal of trading back and drafting a less talented player. There seems to be more value for defensive players late in the first and the second round of this draft.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
If Pitts turns out to be as good as expected, there is not a defensive player in this draft that could come close to having the impact that Pitts would have. A top ten pick gives the team a very rare chance to draft an elite talent that will make more plays in a year than most of these defenders will make in their whole careers. There is no Deion in this draft and it is questionable if there is a defensive player in this draft that would offer any kind of value at the 10th pick. I hope Pitts is gone TBH. I don’t like the ideal of using the 10th pick on a player that would be a 20th-25th pick in a draft with good defensive talent. They will not be getting much value with the 10th pick if they draft any of the defensive players. For that reason , I wouldn’t mind them trading back if they are determined to draft defense and I have never liked the ideal of trading back and drafting a less talented player. There seems to be more value for defensive players late in the first and the second round of this draft.

Obviously not a fan of defense. You draft, not only to obtain 'elite' talent, you draft to improve your team .....and in defensive terms that can mean systems and schemes. Defense is more about team work....there's always your Deion's, but you can work a Cover1 with a good FS and two decent CB's.

With the number of holes and as we've no CAP space to make a big splash in fa for the next 2/3 years we are going to need to develop quantity as well as quality.

Agree as regards trading down..... thats where the value will be, rather than reaching at 10.

jnday

Reaction score
Obviously not a fan of defense. You draft, not only to obtain 'elite' talent, you draft to improve your team .....and in defensive terms that can mean systems and schemes. Defense is more about team work....there's always your Deion's, but you can work a Cover1 with a good FS and two decent CB's.

With the number of holes and as we've no CAP space to make a big splash in fa for the next 2/3 years we are going to need to develop quantity as well as quality.

Agree as regards trading down..... thats where the value will be, rather than reaching at 10.
I want defense, but to pass on elite talent to draft a player that will be nothing more than a solid starter is bad drafting when a big time , elite talent is available. Picking a player that would be the 20th best talent in any other draft with the 10th pick is not getting any value . This draft is not going to make big improvements on the defense. It will take 2-3 drafts to fix the defense if they draft better defensive players . If not , it may take more drafts. I don’t believe in passing up elite talent to draft good talent in any draft.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I want defense, but to pass on elite talent to draft a player that will be nothing more than a solid starter is bad drafting when a big time , elite talent is available. Picking a player that would be the 20th best talent in any other draft with the 10th pick is not getting any value . This draft is not going to make big improvements on the defense. It will take 2-3 drafts to fix the defense if they draft better defensive players . If not , it may take more drafts. I don’t believe in passing up elite talent to draft good talent in any draft.

Nobody's suggesting we pick the 20th best talent at 10 and in any case Surtain isn't the 20th best talent.

Elite talent doesnt have to be flash. A lock down CB may not get turnovers, but it solidifies the whole secondary, the S can edge and in our situation would allow the ballhawk Diggs to face WR2.

If a team is close to going all the way, yea go get your Pitts, If we dont start addressing this poor defense with 1st/2nd round talent we still wont be in a position to challenge by 2024 and then the question will be "what was the point in extending Dak if we weren't able to put up a defense to challenge in the play-offs".

Yep it's going to take at least 2 /3 drafts to sort out this defense, especially as we've no CAP money to look at decent fa's.... so it needs to start now.