Twitter: Stephen: Surtain vs. Horn: “It’s a great debate."

Thomas82

Reaction score
Well, neither one of them will be Cowboys, so it doesn't matter.

plymkr

Reaction score
You mean you HOPE they trade up for Pitts. Cuz the REAL reality is that Jerry put out a video on him telling Pitts he loves him. If there was EVER a smoke screen it would be that.
I hope we don't trade up for Pitts. We have no need for a TE. We're set at TE with Jarwin and Dalton. If Jerry traded up for an offensive player and drafted a position we do not need for a 6-10 team, then we really are doomed as Cowboys fans.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Far too often in the past, this team allowed the coaches to draft our talents and they have faltered. It's well past time to allow the scouts to pick the most talented players. Repeating the mistakes of the past is most likely to be a lost cause. The Cowboys' leadership is simply clueless and that's sad. Ignoring the scouts is no way to arrive at the best players. If the coaches are incapable of training the best talents, they're simply unworthy of being there.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
As far as the talents of Surtain and Horn are concerned, Surtain seems to play a headier and steadier game than Horn. It's important.:thumbup:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I hope we don't trade up for Pitts. We have no need for a TE. We're set at TE with Jarwin and Dalton. If Jerry traded up for an offensive player and drafted a position we do not need for a 6-10 team, then we really are doomed as Cowboys fans.

Pitts would certainly help ensure that our offense and passing game remained top notch even after Cooper and Gallup left. However, it does nothing for our defense and biggest issues on the team.

plymkr

Reaction score
Pitts would certainly help ensure that our offense and passing game remained top notch even after Cooper and Gallup left. However, it does nothing for our defense and biggest issues on the team.
I agree Pitts would make our offense more explosive and keep it explosive for years to come. My fear is we don't lose because the offense doesn't score. The offense can put points on the board. We just need a defense to keep the other team's points off the board.

I'd be happy with Pitts if I could somehow see into the future and we draft a Jay Ratliff or Leon Lett with a 7th rounder. If we stole a great player in the later rounds for our defense then I'd be all for Pitts.

We need a Ratliff or Lett from this draft. A difference maker on the defensive line. I don't care what round we get him, but we desperately need a playmaker.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I agree Pitts would make our offense more explosive and keep it explosive for years to come. My fear is we don't lose because the offense doesn't score. The offense can put points on the board. We just need a defense to keep the other team's points off the board.

I'd be happy with Pitts if I could somehow see into the future and we draft a Jay Ratliff or Leon Lett with a 7th rounder. If we stole a great player in the later rounds for our defense then I'd be all for Pitts.

We need a Ratliff or Lett from this draft. A difference maker on the defensive line. I don't care what round we get him, but we desperately need a playmaker.

You dont win championships by making the Pitts pick. Maybe in another year, but not when this defense is as bad as it is. We may not be up here with a top 10 pick for another 8 years. Cant take a TE with that pick. I dont care how good he seems. They are also the biggest bust position in the draft.

plymkr

Reaction score
You dont win championships by making the Pitts pick. Maybe in another year, but not when this defense is as bad as it is. We may not be up here with a top 10 pick for another 8 years. Cant take a TE with that pick. I dont care how good he seems. They are also the biggest bust position in the draft.
I agree

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I think cowboys will pick a cb in round 1 if they can , one of the two.

Creeper

Reaction score
Stephen knows one thing we do not - what his doctors have to say about Caleb Farley's back injury. If the Doc says Farley is okay and his back should not be an issue in the NFL then the debate is Farley, Surtain and Horn, and Farley probably wins.

But maybe he is being crafty. The Cowboys haven't answered the question yet because they are not looking at CB. Maybe they are looking at Parsons which would not make sense to me unless they are willing to sit LVE or Jaylon Smith. There would be no point in drafting Parsons at 10 to be the 3rd LB on the team.

Or, maybe the Cowboys are seriously considering a trade down for a player we are not talking about, like Paye or Rousseau. I don't see DE being as much of a need as other positions, but Jerry is always happy to draft another edge rusher.

jnday

Reaction score
Championships are not won by teams that pass on elite playmakers just so they can draft for need. Passing on elite talent leads to years of regrets, like passing on Moss. In this particular draft, it is not much difference between the defensive prospects in the first round compared to the defensive players that will be available in the second round when comparing talent. This draft is not going to fix the defense , even if they draft the highest rated defensive player. Usually there would be a couple of elite defensive players that is worth the 10th pick, but it is questionable in this draft.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Championships are not won by teams that pass on elite playmakers just so they can draft for need. Passing on elite talent leads to years of regrets, like passing on Moss. In this particular draft, it is not much difference between the defensive prospects in the first round compared to the defensive players that will be available in the second round when comparing talent. This draft is not going to fix the defense , even if they draft the highest rated defensive player. Usually there would be a couple of elite defensive players that is worth the 10th pick, but it is questionable in this draft.

Teams dont win superbowls with the worst defense in the league. There are definitely a few great defensive players in this draft. Its rare you might actually get a shot at one at 10. Its a gift we cant pass up by taking an TE that is really an overblown WR. Its our strongest position on the team. With both depth and youth.

One draft isnt going to fix this defense. Its going to take several focusing on the defense. You continue to pass on good defensive players for good offensive ones and it will take 5 years.

You also dont waste a top 10 pick on a TE. I dont care how good they look.

Them

Reaction score
...I still see Dallas sitting at 10...take a CB...Surtain or Horn (if OT Slater falls, then maybe take him...good Idea to protect Dak lol.)...then I expect some JJ wheeling and dealing.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm partial to Surtain, firstly, although, Horn should hopefully serve the team quite favorably, also. Either of the two should provide an appreciable improvement over those that we had in house last season. Dan Quinn's system should help to make either's presence a success.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

100%, even if we looked at offense (which we shouldnt), a 'receiver' isnt the need. Schultz, not known as a receiving TE managed a 70.8% completion rate (7th best starting TE).

What happens when we meet a good secondary twice a season, WFT? I was shouting out when the 'Hangin..' boys mocked WFT for relying on Fitzpatrick at QB.... well they dont need to pass when they can walk through our D-Line for an average of 195 yards.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
100%, even if we looked at offense (which we shouldnt), a 'receiver' isnt the need. Schultz, not known as a receiving TE managed a 70.8% completion rate (7th best starting TE).

What happens when we meet a good secondary twice a season, WFT? I was shouting out when the 'Hangin..' boys mocked WFT for relying on Fitzpatrick at QB.... well they dont need to pass when they can walk through our D-Line for an average of 195 yards.

Yep, the D's run stops could be tough. I hope, not as tough as 2020.

Getting a DT like Barfield would really help our cause.

Wishful thinking on my part, huh?! ;)

Last edited: