Twitter: Stephen: Surtain vs. Horn: “It’s a great debate."

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
You dont win championships by making the Pitts pick. Maybe in another year, but not when this defense is as bad as it is. We may not be up here with a top 10 pick for another 8 years. Cant take a TE with that pick. I dont care how good he seems. They are also the biggest bust position in the draft.

It's just our luck that we get the 10th pick and there's possibly no 'stud', turnover difference maker available.

It appears that this is clouding some peoples opinion....saying we have to get BPA, but denying that a technical not a highlight reel CB (Surtain) is probably that pick. OK he's probably not going to make the individual plays, however, he improves the system and will not only upgrade his corner, but also enable/assist/ allow Diggs to ballhawk against more WR2's.

It may be a hard take for some, but trading down from no.10 may be the best way of improving the team (Defense) over replacements. Whilst being a possible 'generational talent', at this moment in time the improvement Pitts gives over Schulz/Jarwin just pales into insignificance with the improvements we can make on the Defense with Surtain/Horn - single position, or more incrementally by trading down and improving a number of areas.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Yep, the D's run stops could be tough. I hope, not as tough as 2020.

Getting a DT like Barfield would really help our cause.

Wishful thinking on my part, huh?! ;)

I'd be looking at the old fashioned way....if you can't beat them with skill, beat them with size (McNeil or Shelving) :)

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Ultimately, I think this debate is meaningless because I doubt we have to choose between the two when our clock starts. I don't think both of these CBs will fall to the 10th pick.

Carter

Reaction score
You take Surtain and be done with it. His technique is already NFL Toplevel.

Horn is a flag waiting to happen. Hes way too aggressive and grabby to get away with it in the flag loving NFL.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It's just our luck that we get the 10th pick and there's possibly no 'stud', turnover difference maker available.

It appears that this is clouding some peoples opinion....saying we have to get BPA, but denying that a technical not a highlight reel CB (Surtain) is probably that pick. OK he's probably not going to make the individual plays, however, he improves the system and will not only upgrade his corner, but also enable/assist/ allow Diggs to ballhawk against more WR2's.

It may be a hard take for some, but trading down from no.10 may be the best way of improving the team (Defense) over replacements. Whilst being a possible 'generational talent', at this moment in time the improvement Pitts gives over Schulz/Jarwin just pales into insignificance with the improvements we can make on the Defense with Surtain/Horn - single position, or more incrementally by trading down and improving a number of areas.
There are difference makers. In fact we may get our pick of the first defensive player. It would be a miracle.

Pitts is just another pass catcher. He would take away passes from an already great WR. His affect would be minimal as compared to going from our current corner to surtain.

jnday

Reaction score
Teams dont win superbowls with the worst defense in the league. There are definitely a few great defensive players in this draft. Its rare you might actually get a shot at one at 10. Its a gift we cant pass up by taking an TE that is really an overblown WR. Its our strongest position on the team. With both depth and youth.

One draft isnt going to fix this defense. Its going to take several focusing on the defense. You continue to pass on good defensive players for good offensive ones and it will take 5 years.

You also dont waste a top 10 pick on a TE. I dont care how good they look.
I don’t really care if they pick a TE or not. It is all about passing on elite talent to draft good talent to fit a need that I don’t care for. The difference between the first round and second round defensive talent is not much in this draft. Passing on elite talent at any position so that good talent can be drafted is not smart. I am curious about how many defenders even have a first round grade. Not many.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don’t really care if they pick a TE or not. It is all about passing on elite talent to draft good talent to fit a need that I don’t care for. The difference between the first round and second round defensive talent is not much in this draft. Passing on elite talent at any position so that good talent can be drafted is not smart. I am curious about how many defenders even have a first round grade. Not many.

Position, need, roster building, draft capital have to be a big part of the decision. Cant just blindly take players without analyzing your own roster. At 10 there is elite talent at lots of positions. At 10 there is elite defensive talent. In fact you may get your choice of one of them at several positions. Not a great draft for defense, so you have to take one at 10 or you wont get one.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yep, the D's run stops could be tough. I hope, not as tough as 2020.

Getting a DT like Barfield would really help our cause.

Wishful thinking on my part, huh?! ;)

Who is this? Or did you mean Barmore?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I wouldn't take Parsons at 10. And where would you play Collins. He's a 3-4 olb. Not a traditional 4-3 LB.

He played in a 43 at Tulsa. I don't think you just say he can only be a 34 OLB. That's not what he's shown.

Thomas82

Reaction score
According to Bleacher Report, the Cowboys are zeroing in on Surtain.

starfan1

Reaction score
I wouldn't take Parsons at 10. And where would you play Collins. He's a 3-4 olb. Not a traditional 4-3 LB.

I would in a country second. In fact id take parsons before Surtain if both were available. Collins even if hes a traditional 3-4 which Im not certain he is comes in better than the 2 we got at the moment. hell adapt just fine. Our LB corps suck

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/scouting-reports/zavencollins

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Position, need, roster building, draft capital have to be a big part of the decision. Cant just blindly take players without analyzing your own roster. At 10 there is elite talent at lots of positions. At 10 there is elite defensive talent. In fact you may get your choice of one of them at several positions. Not a great draft for defense, so you have to take one at 10 or you wont get one.

I can see both sides of this argument really. But you hit the nail on the head when you said you have to analyze your own roster when drafting. And for me that also includes the coaches. In the past we have seen us take players for one scheme (Mo Claiborne) then change schemes and get mad because they didn't excel. I think in Quinn's scheme Surtain is the better fit and I am never in favor of taking a db who is already known for drawing penalties coming into the league. Look gang, we all know that the quickest way to upgrade your defense is by improving in the trenches .. same for the offense for that matter. So if there is a way to get a stud or two up front that should be the strategy. If none is available you look at the second level.. Get a playmaker at LB if you can find him.. If none is available then a shutdown corner or ballhawk safety is the move. There is no Ed Reed in this draft that we know of so that's why we're talking about Surtain and Horn. Of the two I am more and more convinced that Surtain is the better bet. Not just because he is safer but because his higher football IQ and superior technique will more than compensate for .005 seconds difference in a 40 time.

Loso86

Reaction score
He played in a 43 at Tulsa. I don't think you just say he can only be a 34 OLB. That's not what he's shown.
He put on 10 pounds of muscle, going by the scouts and people I've heard he's 6'4 270 he will be an edge rusher in 4-3 or 3-4 olb... many teams don't know what to do with him!

Loso86

Reaction score
I would in a country second. In fact id take parsons before Surtain if both were available. Collins even if hes a traditional 3-4 which Im not certain he is comes in better than the 2 we got at the moment. hell adapt just fine. Our LB corps suck

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/scouting-reports/zavencollins
Parsons is new to LB He instincts is off. He is a heck of am athlete but I'm taking surtain, actually Horn over both of them. Our LBS sucked also mostly because the dline in front of them were driven back right into their laps most plays