Still drinking the Kool-Aid?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only kool aid I am drinking with this team is the 5-1 record. Are they as good as AZ, LA Rams, GB and TB? I don’t think so….yet. Everyone seems to overlook that teams develop all season. They either get better or get worse. There’s a lot of season left for this team to get better and because there are so many young players on this team, they have a lot of developmental upside.

We have this great 5-1 start but there is no guarantee that this team is a legit contender yet. Lots of work yet to be done to earn that. I think our fan base is so hungry, when we have a great start, we start counting wins on the schedule before the games are played.

So I’m excited about this team but it’s way too early to declare this team as legit. We’re about 40% into the season- not even halfway- and some fans are already making playoff trip plans, lol. Too much football left to play. But it’s still a great time to be a Cowboys fan.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
1. The Patriots game convinced me that the Cowboys D remains vulnerable to big plays and has wondering if Quinn is going to get around to fixing it. A lot of players trying to make the big play and getting sloppy out there?

2. While the rest of the NFC East looks like a joke, the Cardinals, Rams, and oh yes the Bucs I take seriously. I watched the Bucs game and it looks to me that Brady is just getting warmed up. The Rams have always been a match-up nightmare. And the Cards look real to me.

3. I expect some "Lighten Up Francis" replies and I get that. I do enjoy watching the Cowboys having such a great season. But this team has a lot to improve on especially the defense.

What say you?
I am sure Quinn is trying to fix it. I said this over the summer and off season. you can't go from a bottom sucking down right awful defense to a good defense in one year. its putting in a new scheme. new players needed. and it takes time. right now, we have made a huge jump and in fact exceeded my expectations in several areas, like run defense. the pats power ran on us late in the game, but prior they were contained. they have one of the best OLs in the game and we got caught napping on that one drive.

this defense right now is solidly middle of the pack in many areas. run defense we are top 3. even early in the game we have played well against the run, and a lot of teams may go passing in the second half, but that's because pass defense is not as good (that's what we are giving them). otherwise I think teams would want to run on us to keep the ball away from our offense and play TOP....Pats tried but couldn't until late 4th quarter.

we are solidly middle of the pack in sacks, pressure and top 10 in QB hits.... compare to last year, this is a great improvement.

we are #4 in turnovers. and that's not an accident. yes Diggs has been great, but he is not the only who has gotten turnovers. this by design and because of the play up front putting pressure on QBs.

we are 22nd in pass defense....not great...we are 12th in air yards per pass attempt, which is pretty boot, but the problem is yards after catch (YAC), we are 28th in the league. not sure why we are so bad on YAC and that's one area we have to improve to take the next step on defensive improvement.

more importantly, we are still top 10 in scoring defense.

so this defense is playing heck of a lot better than last year....still has room for improvement. but arrow is pointing in the right direction. we are also going to get some players back that will help, like Gallimore, Lawrence, Joseph. we do need improved Saftey play and the LBs are average as a group and need improved.

btw, rams defense is pretty bad.....

Blitzen

Reaction score
1. The Patriots game convinced me that the Cowboys D remains vulnerable to big plays and has wondering if Quinn is going to get around to fixing it. A lot of players trying to make the big play and getting sloppy out there?

2. While the rest of the NFC East looks like a joke, the Cardinals, Rams, and oh yes the Bucs I take seriously. I watched the Bucs game and it looks to me that Brady is just getting warmed up. The Rams have always been a match-up nightmare. And the Cards look real to me.

3. I expect some "Lighten Up Francis" replies and I get that. I do enjoy watching the Cowboys having such a great season. But this team has a lot to improve on especially the defense.

What say you?

I'm shocked that the team has been so good at forcing turnovers which is the secret to all these wins. Pretty fun to watch and no idea about the sustainability. The Cowboys look like a team capable of winning against the top squads and also look like they could easily lose to any of the top teams.

They are probably never going to have two elite units at the same time (offense and defense). This is likely the best shot at a Super Bowl team they will have for the next four years. Hopefully, they take advantage now.

Folks on here need that Kool aid. Let em drink up as it's all they got. We'll know how they stack up to the other contenders in January/February. If the team makes it to the conference title game they can actually claim to be legit contenders (otherwise they are also rans/pretenders).

Doomsday101

Reaction score

What say you?

I say the Card, Rams and Bucs are good teams just as the Cowboys is a good team. All of those teams have also gone out and played sloppy games and close games but won, just as Dallas has. As for defense Cowboys to have things they need to work on namely cutting down on chunk plays outside of that Cowboys have done well in 3rd down situation and they have created turnovers. Coaches have used this bye week to try and clean some things up on offense and defense.

blueblood70

Reaction score

What say you?
ive never drank the koolaid this early in a season, far too early to start lining up playoff hopes. this place has no middles ground its either all doom and gloom negativity or ridiculous hype..Im enjoying the nice start to the season and thats all it is..

Our fans believe at 5-1 we have done something, we haven't and technically the playoffs are not guaranteed either. This is great START to long season but nothings set in stone..

in 2018 we started what 3-5 ended up in the second round of he playoffs..

other teams can start slow and we could be like 2019 star fast end poorly..

.the talk around here is very over confidence and cocky by our fans as if this is the greatest season since 1996..

seriously 6 games played of 17 game season..

nothing is set, not one thing,.

please refrain from using us a barometer against every team about there as if we are the measuring stick..its bad lok and why SAS doesn't like the fan base..we somehow have won a SB at 5-1 :facepalm::muttley:

some of those great wins early on like in Carolina doesn't look so great right now..the undermanned beat up giants held them nearly scoreless and we let them score 28??other teams we won against have regressed some although the NE game now looks' like a better win..

one just never knows of an impending collapse or a historical rise as 17 games will even things out..

play them all , then start talking playoffs..

DRella

Reaction score
Rome wasnt built in a day, or week, or month. It took time.

This defense has made some strides they are ranked middle of the pack right now at about 17-18 I believe. Its a hell of a lot better than what it was doing last season. We also have been missing 3 main pieces to that side of the ball in Lawrence, Gallimore and Wilson. Those 3 were probably our best players last season in an awful defense. When we get them back healthy, we will continue to grow.

Last season if you remember the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were ranked in the middle of the NFL with many holes. They got better as the season went on and were crazy good in the playoffs and Super Bowl. I dont expect the Cowboys to replicate that defense and its climb. But I do expect them to be better as time goes on.

glimmerman

Reaction score
This game against the pats went the way I figured. He went to the same game plan teams used to beat us. Stack the line and stop the run. Put it on Daks arm. On the other side run the ball on us and make plays over the top.

If we didn’t have the penalties and a bad ref call with the spot of the 3rd and goal play and a missed FG. We could have never went to OT.

We can expect teams to follow this blueprint but not all teams have the players to stop our run. And not all teams can stop our run

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
You're not a patient one are you?! This D has improved a lot w/Quinn. That's a good thing players trying to make big plays. That means Quinn is doing his job. When was the last time Dallas had a pick in every game let alone by the same player?

My gosh, some fans need to stop being so critical with a franchise that's finally come out of the Garrett mode!

phildadon86

Reaction score

What say you?
I will say what everyone else does about the Cowboys. Who have they played? Brady has played 2 team with a winning record. The first was a W that the officials handed him. And the second he lost. Other than that he has beat up on some really bad football teams. Stephen A was making fun of the Cowboys offense saying they havent played anyone. Yet was bigging up the bucs high powered offense who went against the Bears. The Cowboys can play with anyone in this league. And its not even just the talent. We are game planning specifically for each team we play and exploiting their weaknesses. Something we NEVER did under the Garrett regime. Thats the big difference.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is year one of a defensive rebuild. I'm a half-full guy and think they're playing great considering. Enjoy the ride, Amigos

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I say the Card, Rams and Bucs are good teams just as the Cowboys is a good team. All of those teams have also gone out and played sloppy games and close games but won, just as Dallas has. As for defense Cowboys to have things they need to work on namely cutting down on chunk plays outside of that Cowboys have done well in 3rd down situation and they have created turnovers. Coaches have used this bye week to try and clean some things up on offense and defense.
that's the thing, cowboys games get under the microscope with cowboys fans (a few at least) and over analyzed, in the meantime other teams have flaws, warts and win ugly too. winning ugly is better than losing pretty. and you have to be good to pull out ugly wins.

Aven8

Reaction score
Only one that scares me out of that bunch is Zona. Only because of there defense. Buddha Baker and company throttled us last time

blueblood70

Reaction score
This game against the pats went the way I figured. He went to the same game plan teams used to beat us. Stack the line and stop the run. Put it on Daks arm. On the other side run the ball on us and make plays over the top.

If we didn’t have the penalties and a bad ref call with the spot of the 3rd and goal play and a missed FG. We could have never went to OT.

We can expect teams to follow this blueprint but not all teams have the players to stop our run. And not all teams can stop our run
they didnt stop the run they slowed it ,100+ for team run game isnt bad at all..above the league average i suspect..

we take what given to use TB didnt stop our run either we abandoned it knowing it was going to be tough go so went pass heavy..not blueprint its picking their poisen and so far its kept teams in the game mostly because of self inflicted mistakes far to many offensive penalties and TOs at some points of games that kill drives. also yes chink pays on defense..

Loso86

Reaction score

What say you?
Man 5-1 with a bye week healthy guys coming back and nothing positive to say lol

DRella

Reaction score
I will say what everyone else does about the Cowboys. Who have they played? Brady has played 2 team with a winning record. The first was a W that the officials handed him. And the second he lost. Other than that he has beat up on some really bad football teams. Stephen A was making fun of the Cowboys offense saying they havent played anyone. Yet was bigging up the bucs high powered offense who went against the Bears. The Cowboys can play with anyone in this league. And its not even just the talent. We are game planning specifically for each team we play and exploiting their weaknesses. Something we NEVER did under the Garrett regime. Thats the big difference.

Stephen A is a useless opinion to base the Cowboys season this far. He's too upset that his Steelers are a basement dwelling team this season. Lol.

With that said lets take a look at who the so called better teams beat this season so far:

Arizona - Titans, Vikings, Jacksonville, Rams, 49ers, Browns, Texans

LA Rams - Bears, Indy, Bucs, Cardinals (L), Seahawks, Giants, Lions

TB Bucs - Cowboys, Falcons, Rams (L), Patriots, Eagles, Bears

GB Packers - Saints (L), Lions, 49ers, Steelers, Bengals, Bears, Football team

Dallas Cowboys - Bucs (L), Chargers, Eagles, Panthers, Giants, Patriots

So I look at who everyone beat and who we beat. How does Stephen A look at TB or GB or Rams schedules and records, and states our schedule was easier? TB and Cowboys played each other and both played against Eagles and Patriots. I would put Rams and Chargers as tough teams and matchups so thats a saw off. So where exactly is the easier schedule?

Experts keep saying the Cowboys are the object of playing in a week division. But we have play 2 games in our division and those teams are probably better than teams like the Lions, Texans, Bears and Falcons that all the others teams played one way or another!!!

Its simple, the hate has always been and will always be towards the Cowboys. But lets please not reference Stephen A and his thoughts. He has no clue about football, never has.

SackMaster

Reaction score
"What say me?"

Ummmmm ..... The season isn't even half way over, we have been missing several (potentially) key players, and we have plenty of time to (re)add those players into the lineups and improve as the season goes on?

I'm a big believer in "Real Football isn't played until Thanksgiving". If nothing improves by then, then I'll worry.
:thumbup:

stiletto

Reaction score

What say you?

It's one thing to be a "King Homer" every year like Jerry and predict a Super Bowl run. It's another thing to objectively look at the team and see how the engine is running. The Offense is ELITE right now and the Defense while not championship quality is certainly better and more opportunistic. It's a realistic view and stance to have that this team is top 10 and will be competitive week to week. Don't know about drinking kool aid but I think it is OK to feel pretty good about this particular team. They are going to give EVERY team they face absolute fits...

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
Still drinking the koolao

What say you?
Do you understand what the analogy implies about “drinking the koolaid”?

Seriously…

Do you understand it?

If so, then lay out exactly how you feel that analogy maps onto this team.