Still juiced about Deuce

_sturt_

Reaction score
I just believe this shiftiness, this acceleration, and the fact it's just hard to square up or grab hold of such a compact tough runner... getting legit snaps behind our first string line (something that almost never happened in his rookie season, if ever)... is going to silence all the naysayers and handringers and nervous Nellies in his 2nd year. I mean, just look at this kid's tape. I'm going to say it... there's a lot of Barry Sanders and Darren Sproles in Christopher Vaughn II.

Just a reminder of what he brings to the table...

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I am on board the Deuce Caboose. Deuce did not get the amount of touches he should have last year, nor the quality amount of touches -

YouTuber “DoubleMove” pointed out last year against the Patriots, Deuce had 8 rushing attempts for 9 yards. However, he had 12 yards after contact that game.

The run blocking has to get better for Deuce to succeed.

Interestingly, in two years rushing behind a Kansas State offensive line that included future NFL Hall of Famer Cooper Beebe, Deuce had 528 carries for 2,962 yards for 27 TDs. He had a career 5.5 ypc. He caught 100+ passes for 1,280 yards. Simply put, he was tearing up top-ranked programs regularly.

I still believe. I don’t believe the traits that made Deuce a special player suddenly disappeared when he was drafted into the NFL.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I hope I am wrong but I don't think he is on the team come 2025. Based on what I saw last in the NFL and not his time in College as it's telling if we are still referring to that, he seems too small and was tossed around and he just didn't look as shifty as I was assuming/expecting. Maybe it was just a rookie year thing and with more experience, confidence and weight training he turns a corner and proves me wrong. I'm rooting hard for the kid

_sturt_

Reaction score
I hope I am wrong but I don't think he is on the team come 2025. Based on what I saw last in the NFL and not his time in College as it's telling if we are still referring to that, he seems too small and was tossed around and he just didn't look as shifty as I was assuming/expecting. Maybe it was just a rookie year thing and with more experience, confidence and weight training he turns a corner and proves me wrong. I'm rooting hard for the kid
I've said it a couple of times already. What you've seen, though, was practically never the starting O-line but behind some cobbled together group in preseason or a mop-up group at the end of regular season games.

Broaddus has this right...

You can ask a RB to make one guy miss in the backfield. You can't ask a RB to make 3 and 4 guys miss in the backfield, and that's what Deuce was too regularly up against.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The new KO rule may keep him around. All a returner needs to do is make one defender miss and it could lead to a big return. However, he still may have his work cut out making the 53. I have little faith in him as an RB with his size, plus he’s too small to be an effective blocker. A defender could literally hurdle him.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Run blocking was bad but the game needs to slow down for him. His game is predicated on juking people and that is all about timing. I could see him making a large jump in ability.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The way he was handled last year was criminal. Big Mike failed him in every way possible. On draft day he said they would scheme up plays for him and blah blah blah. They did nothing. I thought it was the coaching staffs job to put players in the best position to make plays and impact the game. The Cowboys get a big F grade for their job last year.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
Me too. He can play. I hope he gets an extended opportunity this year.

It's funny how ppl hate on him. If he didn't have his viral moment, he'd be a fan favorite. One social media moment has overridden years of good tape in the minds of haters.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is 6th on the depth chart right now IMO. 7th if you count FB Luepke.

Unless the team feel they are good enough going short on another position, such as DB's, they can afford to keep him.
They are not deep enough on the DL or LB or WR, and probably the OL to do so.

pacboyX

Reaction score
Im not gonna say he is too small for anything but pass blocking. As a runner he is exciting and difficult for the defenses. He has the talent just actually put him in w the starting oline. Majority of his runs during season was back up oline in garbage time when we are running clock down.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Yeah, he didn't suddenly lose his high-tier vision. He didn't suddenly lose his ability to break linebackers' and DBs' ankles. He didn't suddenly lose his ability to go from O to 80 in a flash.

You have to have crevices to actually run through. That's someone else's job.

Deuce is, somewhat obviously, never going to resemble a prototypical RB physically. There's one area where that is a huge liability, pass blocking. In other ways, though, it's a huge advantage--lower to the ground, harder to get a hand on a body, easier to create even relatively tiny crevices in the line that he can get in and out of, and again, so light on his feet, so athletic, it's not just practically impossible to square him up, it's hard to even just time the lunge to tackle because he's there and then he's not there. And one more thing... watch that YT clip above... something I'd not noticed before now... when he gets tackled, it's practically always that he's still moving forward with the ball... even when there's a gang tackle, he doesn't go backwards very often... he's got some Robert Newhouse to him in that way... wouldn't expect that, but I suspect if you break that down, it has to-do, again, with how hard it is to square him up combined with how solid he is... not much meat, but what meat is there is potent.

How do you counterprogram to compensate for the pass blocking? You take advantage of the fact that he was regarded as plausibly the best receiver out of the backfield in the 2023 draft. Again, watch the tape. He's tremendous... catching in the flat... wheel routes... check downs.

It's on the coaching staff first, and on the O-line second. If given a legit opportunity to perform, this kid's going to manufacture a lot of highlight tape over his career.

Jarntt

Reaction score
What time? Garbage running scheme with nothing designed or planned for him.
You can keep repeating it but it won't make him a better player. It's what you do with your limited opportunities as a backup in the NFL. If you watch the player you can see how he was just not physically up to the level of the other players. He goes down easily and is tossed around and he didn't have this Darren Sproles elusiveness that was being talked about. You can keep drinking the cool aid if you want and I hope you end up right, but to succeed at his size he needs to be one of the fastest and probably the quickest player on the field and he didn't look like that at all. We didn't even hear he looked great in practice. He is a gadget player at best and probably not as good at that as Turpin. He is totally mismatched as a pass protector which hurts his 3rd down role and to me is big because that is when you would try and get him chances out in space to make a play and perhaps most importantly he doesn't run down on kickoff and punt teams and with Zeke not doing this either, this may lead to him not even be active most games this year.