Still juiced about Deuce

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Who is the “smart” member of the coaching staff that will “put him into appropriate positions”? Obviously it has to be someone that was not on the coaching staff last year. Who is this smart guy?
Well, I have posted about that, and what seems obvious to those of us that are watching, it seems oblivious to those that are coaching.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This isn’t K-St.
Thanks for the update. He is misused (not the only one) and no one can deny that.

The Cowboys should have special plays for him and Turpin both. Everyone complains about we need more speed and probably the fastest WR on the roster doesn't have one play to get him into the open use beyond stupid.

_sturt_

Reaction score
should have special plays for him
No.

They should have regular plays for him, as long as they aren't 3rd and 2, and as long as they're all behind the first string O-line that he... truly, go look... practically never had the chance to play behind in his rookie season. On the rare instance when he did (see NY Jets for a series or two), he was productive.

Jipper

Reaction score
According to the Rookie mini camp he's up to 180lbs not sure what he's up from but he's sure small. needs another 10 to 20 lbs
nah...his biggest asset is his speed and shiftiness...putting on 10 to 20 pounds on takes that edge away and makes him just a heavier slower small back...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. He is misused (not the only one) and no one can deny that.

The Cowboys should have special plays for him and Turpin both. Everyone complains about we need more speed and probably the fastest WR on the roster doesn't have one play to get him into the open use beyond stupid.
If he’s being misused by running the football he’s not going to be in NFL very long. If you have to design special plays to try and free him up then we need to design gadget plays for him. If he can’t run basic plays the rest of our backs are running he won’t be seeing the field much. Turpin has been making his mark as a receiver and a rusher. He’s made some plays. He had 12 catches for 127 yards and 3 TDs. He also had 11 carries for 110 yards and a TD. We got him much more involved in our offense last season. I have no complaints with how we’re using him. He’s a small receiver so he’s not going to be the focal point of our passing game.

blueblood70

Reaction score

agreed

blueblood70

Reaction score
If he’s being misused by running the football he’s not going to be in NFL very long. If you have to design special plays to try and free him up then we need to design gadget plays for him. If he can’t run basic plays the rest of our backs are running he won’t be seeing the field much. Turpin has been making his mark as a receiver and a rusher. He’s made some plays. He had 12 catches for 127 yards and 3 TDs. He also had 11 carries for 110 yards and a TD. We got him much more involved in our offense last season. I have no complaints with how we’re using him. He’s a small receiver so he’s not going to be the focal point of our passing game.
Dude that's total nonsense completely ridiculous there are plenty of players in the league that don't play all three downs they're called scat backs or different wide receivers that can only play the slot or certain players that are better on special teams...

so you're telling me all the people that can only play special teams, we should just cut all their jobs and get rid of special teams because they're specialized?????!!

it's the same thing with deuce Vaughn and kevonte Turpin,

if used correctly they can be a big role player they can be weapons it's been happening for a very long time like with Darren Sproles was not a three down back, I don't know what you think you're seeing, and matter of fact Tony Pollard was misused last year.. we all knew he wasn't going to be a good back if he was used as your primary number one is the same situational football that you'd use a three down back for, but he was and it was wrong.

they were all misused last year Rico Dowdle should have got a bulk of the carries last year and let Tony and deuce come in in better situational football.... apparently you think those are called gimmick plays or special plays and we call it football packages, they're brought in for situational football much like you see some dudes like an offensive or defensive lineman used as a fullback, ain't nothing wrong with having flexibility but there are certain group of players in the NFL that need to be used in certain packages... that are not in every down player it happens all over the field and I hate to break it to you that statement was so ridiculous if they can't play 3 downs in a regular position they shouldn't be on the football team ..

that's like saying in NBA shouldn't have a a 6th man of the year coming off the bench or a guy who known just for coming in in a timely manner to hit threes or just to be shut down defender but they arent starters, this happens all over.. I mean how about the Major League Baseball I mean they may have gotten rid of it maybe, I'm paying attention but there's dudes in the cleanup spots that come in just a hit home runs ie THE DH or at least that's their intent get big hit but they are not in the lineup on regular basis.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Here's the thing, the running game is predicated on the O-line creating holes in the defense. If that happens, the entire committee will feast, Zeke, Rico, and Royce. I don't see much opportunity for Duece.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Dude that's total nonsense completely ridiculous there are plenty of players in the league that don't play all three downs they're called scat backs or different wide receivers that can only play the slot or certain players that are better on special teams...

so you're telling me all the people that can only play special teams, we should just cut all their jobs and get rid of special teams because they're specialized?????!!

it's the same thing with deuce Vaughn and kevonte Turpin,

if used correctly they can be a big role player they can be weapons it's been happening for a very long time like with Darren Sproles was not a three down back, I don't know what you think you're seeing, and matter of fact Tony Pollard was misused last year.. we all knew he wasn't going to be a good back if he was used as your primary number one is the same situational football that you'd use a three down back for, but he was and it was wrong.

they were all misused last year Rico Dowdle should have got a bulk of the carries last year and let Tony and deuce come in in better situational football.... apparently you think those are called gimmick plays or special plays and we call it football packages, they're brought in for situational football much like you see some dudes like an offensive or defensive lineman used as a fullback, ain't nothing wrong with having flexibility but there are certain group of players in the NFL that need to be used in certain packages... that are not in every down player it happens all over the field and I hate to break it to you that statement was so ridiculous if they can't play 3 downs in a regular position they shouldn't be on the football team ..

that's like saying in NBA shouldn't have a a 6th man of the year coming off the bench or a guy who known just for coming in in a timely manner to hit threes or just to be shut down defender but they arent starters, this happens all over.. I mean how about the Major League Baseball I mean they may have gotten rid of it maybe, I'm paying attention but there's dudes in the cleanup spots that come in just a hit home runs ie THE DH or at least that's their intent get big hit but they are not in the lineup on regular basis.
“they were all misused last year”, but the same head coach and the same offensive coordinator have somehow had an epiphany and will miraculously use all of them properly this year? There is optimism and there is misplaced optimism. They let Elliott go and kept Pollard. Now they let Pollard go and got Elliott back. This is an organization that doesn’t seem to know what they’re trying to do in deference to the team’s run game. Your optimism is nothing more than baseless wishful thinking. Stop lashing out at those fans that show legitimate concern.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The way he was handled last year was criminal. Big Mike failed him in every way possible. On draft day he said they would scheme up plays for him and blah blah blah. They did nothing. I thought it was the coaching staffs job to put players in the best position to make plays and impact the game. The Cowboys get a big F grade for their job last year.
Historically we play 1 RB only. We throw the ball to 1 TE only. Last year we basically threw the ball to 1 WR only.

Why would it be hard for a good team to stop our offense?

Nav22

Reaction score
Deuce looks like a total bust to me.

Goes down far too easily, unlike small successful RBs like Darren Sproles or Maurice Jones-Drew.

I don't think he'll magically improve in that area. NFL RBs are in a position to succeed as rookies, probably more than any other position on the field (which is why veteran RBs struggle to get paid).

_sturt_

Reaction score
Royce? Royce is redundant.

Short of Zeke or Luepke (... especially Luepke...) injury, I see no way for this guy who only got 4, 8, 17, 0, 0, and 27 offensive snaps in LAR's last 6 games, and health scratch, 0, 0, 0, healthy scratch, healthy scratch in LAR's first 6 games... and only got RB snaps in the middle of the season due to injuries... to make the 53 man. Most of the snaps he did get consistently were special teams, which is why I'm persuaded that's the real reason he was signed--so that Luepke gets some competition in Oxnard, or otherwise so that there is some other alternative if Luepke goes down.

Deuce looks like a total bust to me.
Based on?

And don't say based on his size. And don't say based on his 2024 numbers. We've well covered that by now. When you watch the player, what do you see? Not in mop-up duty behind mosaic O-lines, but in the course of an actually competitive game--the few snaps he ever got in that context. Because, if you've watched that handful of snaps behind the starting O-line, he's essentially what we saw he was at K-State.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Based on?

And don't say based on his size. And don't say based on his 2024 numbers. We've well covered that by now. When you watch the player, what do you see? Not in mop-up duty behind mosaic O-lines, but in the course of an actually competitive game--the few snaps he ever got in that context. Because, if you've watched that handful of snaps behind the starting O-line, he's essentially what we saw he was at K-State.
Yes he was. We just have to hope Big Mike actually does his job this off season and puts Deuce in a position to succeed.