Still need a boss DT

fivetwos

Reaction score
This won’t be a popular opinion but I wouldn’t take Mazi at 26. He’s great against the run but brings very little against the pass which means he’d be switched out for a rusher and not get but maybe 30-35% of snaps. Stuffing the run is great but doesn’t impact the game as much as impacting the passing game does
I don’t know this draft all that well.

I just don’t see any possible impact DT out there unless it’s a draftee (an unknown).

Based on what you’re saying it doesn’t even sound as if that player exists. Assuming Carter doesn’t fall. They aren’t dealing up that high.

In the end it’s going to be a draftee and another body. And probably a problem yet again this season.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
IMO, if we obtain a good DT such as Ford, Robinson, or Hankins we will be a good defensive line.

But if we could get a game changing DT then we become most likely the best defense in the league.

In the draft, that would be Jalen Carter and unless Jerry is going to trade two 1st then it ain't going to happen.

But rumors persist that Titans are quietly looking to move Jeffery Simmons so they will not have to pony up what could be highest DT contract except for Aaron Donald. Supposedly according to New York radio hosts, then Quinnen Williams DT could also be traded once Aaron Rodgers is acquired.

Would Jerry do a trade for either knowing Simmons will probably get a new contract that averages $22 million a year. Williams will be in the same neighborhood.

I would live it but with Lamb, Parsons and Diggs contracts coming up, highly unlikely but we did that defense would be a great defense.
Wouldn't count on Simmons as he wants to get paid, probably wants market setting money in that over 20 million a season. Not happening. I live in NYC, Jets aren't going to let their best defensive player go, he is a core player for them.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
This won’t be a popular opinion but I wouldn’t take Mazi at 26. He’s great against the run but brings very little against the pass which means he’d be switched out for a rusher and not get but maybe 30-35% of snaps. Stuffing the run is great but doesn’t impact the game as much as impacting the passing game does
Agree and in the last draft these types of DTs seem to fall in the draft. I remember the 1st round buzz for Travis Jones last year and he ended up going in the 3rd. Even Jordan Davis didn’t do much to justify the 13th pick.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
maybe wait until after the bulk of the season is played to make judgemnts ..see how the coaches and players progeess, gelp, and what the teams accompaushed at that pojt, the preseason pre draft pre game 1 expectations and all this noise is wasted energy, it how they play together as a team, and the team record and post season success.. most of these posts are so early they were outodated after reply was hit.

it's the same nonsense we heard last off season all the historically bad offseason worst of all time doom and gloom all the way to the 2nd round of the playoffs. yet, here we are again claiming not enough being done in MARCH!!
I have no way of knowing if you’re right or if my guess is accurate. They seem to be more active this off-season

conner01

Reaction score
Agree and in the last draft these types of DTs seem to fall in the draft. I remember the 1st round buzz for Travis Jones last year and he ended up going in the 3rd. Even Jordan Davis didn’t do much to justify the 13th pick.
If you can’t pressure the pocket you aren’t gonna get the snaps to justify a first round pick

conner01

Reaction score
I don’t know this draft all that well.

I just don’t see any possible impact DT out there unless it’s a draftee (an unknown).

Based on what you’re saying it doesn’t even sound as if that player exists. Assuming Carter doesn’t fall. They aren’t dealing up that high.

In the end it’s going to be a draftee and another body. And probably a problem yet again this season.
DT who can impact pass and run game are rare. Just like starting quality QB’s
Generally you rotate a pass rush and a run stuffer depending on situation
That’s why pure run stuffers only play around 30-35% of snaps in a 4/3

TheGoat73

Reaction score
IMO, if we obtain a good DT such as Ford, Robinson, or Hankins we will be a good defensive line.

But if we could get a game changing DT then we become most likely the best defense in the league.

In the draft, that would be Jalen Carter and unless Jerry is going to trade two 1st then it ain't going to happen.

But rumors persist that Titans are quietly looking to move Jeffery Simmons so they will not have to pony up what could be highest DT contract except for Aaron Donald. Supposedly according to New York radio hosts, then Quinnen Williams DT could also be traded once Aaron Rodgers is acquired.

Would Jerry do a trade for either knowing Simmons will probably get a new contract that averages $22 million a year. Williams will be in the same neighborhood.

I would live it but with Lamb, Parsons and Diggs contracts coming up, highly unlikely but we did that defense would be a great defense.
We will get Hankins, a 5th rounder, a 7th rounder and a couple of UDFA’s that get ridiculous hype. Or something similar.