Still Not Convinced

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with you about the corners and Scandrick but I totally disagree with you about Jaylon looking lost or the defense not being top 15. Jaylon wasn't lost, he knew the play but couldn't move lateral to adjust to the runners jukes and cuts. The brace restricted him but he absolutely wasnt lost

I'll disagree with you there. He looked lost to me at times last year too. Not that injury limited him or prevented him from getting there, but that mentally he didn't know where to go. Thankfully, those moments decreased as the season went along, but I saw them too. Early on, he looked like a dog chasing cars out there. But I'm optimistic that another year of experience and exposure to "Coach Lee" will help get rid of those moments.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
From a sheer talent/pedigree standpoint, I don't see how we can't look to be markedly improved over week one last year.

Byron Jones / Chidobe Awuzie is currently starting over Nolan freakin' Carroll!

Anyone want to not consider that a vast improvement? Anyone? Anyone?

I didn't think so.

And like you've pointed out, both Collins and Irving were unavailable at this time last year too, for the exact same reasons. But now the team has former 1st and 2nd round talents in Datone Jones and Jihad Ward for depth if nothing else. Does that not look better than Thornton and Stephen Paea from last year?

To say nothing of the positive reports on both Brian Price and Antwaun Woods. (And this is coming from a guy who also has legit concerns about the 1-tech position!)

More than anything else on this team, the defense has me optimistic.
Totally agree with what you said. This defense is much improved from last year and the ones saying it isn't either don't know what they are looking at or just like to be negative about everything.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I'll disagree with you there. He looked lost to me at times last year too. Not that injury limited him or prevented him from getting there, but that mentally he didn't know where to go. Thankfully, those moments decreased as the season went along, but I saw them too. Early on, he looked like a dog chasing cars out there. But I'm optimistic that another year of experience and exposure to "Coach Lee" will help get rid of those moments.
I respect your opinion but disagree. It's possible he judged wrong on a few plays but that doesn't mean he was lost. It was his first NFL game action and seemed to be confidence more than anything. As the season went on you're right, he made better judgements but that could also suggest he was gaining confidence. Most of the time he was chasing guys was the fact guys could change direction on him and he struggled to adjust with the cuts. All that being said so far in camp, without the brace, those issues don't seem to be there. That's a welcome sign

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Totally agree with what you said. This defense is much improved from last year and the ones saying it isn't either don't know what they are looking at or just like to be negative about everything.

Maybe maybe being overly optimistic as I am wont to do this time of year. But if I go through this defensive roster from where it was a year ago and place arrows next to each player pointing up or down, I see a lot more arrows pointed up than down.

And this doesn't even take into consideration the huge difference I think that Kris Richard is bringing to this defense.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I respect your opinion but disagree. It's possible he judged wrong on a few plays but that doesn't mean he was lost. It was his first NFL game action and seemed to be confidence more than anything. As the season went on you're right, he made better judgements but that could also suggest he was gaining confidence. Most of the time he was chasing guys was the fact guys could change direction on him and he struggled to adjust with the cuts. All that being said so far in camp, without the brace, those issues don't seem to be there. That's a welcome sign

We agree much more than we disagree.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
If
Maybe maybe being overly optimistic as I am wont to do this time of year. But if I go through this defensive roster from where it was a year ago and place arrows next to each player pointing up or down, I see a lot more arrows pointed up than down.

And this doesn't even take into consideration the huge difference I think that Kris Richard is bringing to this defense.
Correct and like I said earlier that the addition of Richards will go a long ways. To me that's the biggest upgrade that we have made in years, maybe even more so than getting Zeke.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If

Correct and like I said earlier that the addition of Richards will go a long ways. To me that's the biggest upgrade that we have made in years, maybe even more so than getting Zeke.

I know that Marinelli has often mentioned that he has tried to model his defense after what they were doing in Seattle. And what better way to accomplish that than by bringing in their defensive coordinator?

I'm watching a passing of the torch.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You have great insight and a ton of knowledge. I enjoy reading your post even when we disagree........ Sometimes I even learn a thing or two haha

Same here, and thanks very much for the compliment! I'm very much enjoying the conversation as well.
:thumbup:

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I know that Marinelli has often mentioned that he has tried to model his defense after what they were doing in Seattle. And what better way to accomplish that than by bringing in their defensive coordinator?

I'm watching a passing of the torch.
I think Richards will slowly take over. We already seen him in the war room all through the draft. I would like Richards take over and keep Rod as the DL coach

stiletto

Reaction score
I agree with you about the corners and Scandrick but I totally disagree with you about Jaylon looking lost or the defense not being top 15. Jaylon wasn't lost, he knew the play but couldn't move lateral to adjust to the runners jukes and cuts. The brace restricted him but he absolutely wasnt lost

It's Ok to not agree. I just go by what I saw. Jaylon was a rookie with a bum leg last year but a lot of time I saw play recognition issues he was just slow to generally move (mentally) towards the play and to me it was not all physical speed issues.... I definitely think he can improve and faster is always better. Again, he was a rookie last year. I hope he improves his game all around. It would certainly be awesome.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think Richards will slowly take over. We already seen him in the war room all through the draft. I would like Richards take over and keep Rod as the DL coach
I don't see how we know enough about Richards to desire him as our DC.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It's just my opinion, but that's what I think we're getting this year.

And maybe a lighter workload and more narrow focus is what Marinelli wants at this point and might keep him away from retirement for a year or two. If I remember correctly, I think Monte Kiffin slid over and took a lesser role for Marinelli to be named defensive coordinator. Maybe Rod does the same thing for Kris Richard? He sure speaks highly of him.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
It's just my opinion, but that's what I think we're getting this year.

And maybe a lighter workload and more narrow focus is what Marinelli wants at this point and might keep him away from retirement for a year or two. If I remember correctly, I think Monte Kiffin slid over and took a lesser role for Marinelli to be named defensive coordinator. Maybe Rod does the same thing for Kris Richard? He sure speaks highly of him.
Yep you're correct with Kiffin slowly moving over for Rod. I think Rod loves Richards, at least that's the way it seems

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Your very first sentence is, and I quote "I'm still baffled how people think we have a much better defense". That's your very first sentence, I gave you reasons why they think it's better. Did you forget what you wrote
All your reasons for better were my reasons. Try reading and you won’t sound dumb.

Proof

Reaction score
Our secondary was trash last year

Cool?

Scandrick was done. He was a solid player for us for a handful of years, but last year he himself, independent of what you think of the secondary as a whole, played poorly.