Stop blaming the players

dfense

Reaction score
Dallas has had and has now a large number of the most talented NFL players in the league during Garrets tenure. I’m not a Garret hater. I always hoped he would learn and evolve but he has not.

Many of our most talented players moved on to teams where they won super bowls and their talent suddenly got better out from under Jerry and Garret.

There is no way you can take the talent on this team and lose to 2019 Jets unless there are fundamental serious errors and lack of coaching talent on this team.

From observing Dallas games and Patriots games you see where Belichek does not just prepare his team against the other team and their play book. He literally plans and coaches his team how to defeat the other teams 11 players on the field. It really is like Garret is coaching a checkers game while Belichek is coaching chess.

Garret just does not see the big picture and that is why he loses to the worst teams in the league. I imagine in Patriot prepping the players actually study the guys they will be matched up against week to week and Belichek and his staff likely already have player vs player templates and scheme to defeat each opposing player, not just the opposing plays and scheme which is also important.

If you ever watch Alabama play, you see the same depth of coaching and preparation. That is why they win.

That is why so many talented Cowboy players have wasted their careers under Garret. He had his shot and time to adjust and he failed.
If you say so.

Saban looked real good in Miami....

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Dallas has had and has now a large number of the most talented NFL players in the league during Garrets tenure. I’m not a Garret hater. I always hoped he would learn and evolve but he has not.

Many of our most talented players moved on to teams where they won super bowls and their talent suddenly got better out from under Jerry and Garret.

There is no way you can take the talent on this team and lose to 2019 Jets unless there are fundamental serious errors and lack of coaching talent on this team.

From observing Dallas games and Patriots games you see where Belichek does not just prepare his team against the other team and their play book. He literally plans and coaches his team how to defeat the other teams 11 players on the field. It really is like Garret is coaching a checkers game while Belichek is coaching chess.

Garret just does not see the big picture and that is why he loses to the worst teams in the league. I imagine in Patriot prepping the players actually study the guys they will be matched up against week to week and Belichek and his staff likely already have player vs player templates and scheme to defeat each opposing player, not just the opposing plays and scheme which is also important.

If you ever watch Alabama play, you see the same depth of coaching and preparation. That is why they win.

That is why so many talented Cowboy players have wasted their careers under Garret. He had his shot and time to adjust and he failed.

I think it is 90/10 coaching. Players can self motivate like last week vs Philly. They can’t do that all the time. If you factor in Jerry’s no urgency to win football games culture I think it goes to 60/35/5. Culture/Coaching/players.

The harsh reality is that roster has been good enough to win for about 10 years. Maybe not win it all but good enough to make a couple runs.

Garrett spoiled Romo,Lee, Ware, Dez and Witten for sure. He is on his way to spoiling the OL and Zeke.

Garrett is a cancer. Nice guy. Cancerous coach.

erod

Reaction score

Don't overate the players. Cowboy fans are notorious for it, just like Jerry.

Praxit

Reaction score
..that's old news. We know Garrett sucks. But hey, what can we do?

dwreck27

Reaction score
I blame the players for that jets game....

they completely played flat and absolutely showed ZERO respect for the Jets and needed a big time almost comeback to make it look decent

Miss me with the coaches being the problem that week... it all came down to every player taking it easy that week

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You act as if it is common for the Cowboys to lose to the worst teams. It’s not, so this isn’t a fair argument. Had you said Garrett and the staff did a poor job preparing for the Jets, that would have been fair.

As for the Belichick comparison, I agree that Garrett should be replaced, but not being as good as Belichick isn’t really the argument. That applies to 31 NFL head coaches.

As for talent getting better when it leaves Dallas, that’s a false perception. Guys like Ware and Bennett just ended on better teams. They weren’t better, the talent surrounding them was.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Anyone who has ever coached or played sports at higher level knows you ALWAYS point to the people who actually play the game.
That is the bottom line.

Coaching is huge, but they will all tell you the players are the final bottom line.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What bizarro Zone have I stumbled into that we have an issue with blaming our people payers with anything? I mean aside from the anti-Dak loonies.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Defense: Ignoring 1-Tech, ignoring Safety, lack of turnovers, poor scheme, that’s on Rod.

Offense: Drive killing penalties, dated scheme, and drops. That’s on Garrett.

What am missing?
Agree with the D, but how are drops on Garrett, and not the players? And I know some people believe that a well coached team should never, ever have a penalty called against them, but the players know what's legal and what's not, so I blame the players for that too.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Agree with the D, but how are drops on Garrett, and not the players? And I know some people believe that a well coached team should never, ever have a penalty called against them, but the players know what's legal and what's not, so I blame the players for that too.

Well I’m glad somebody is paying attention to facts...:thumbup:

Preparation and accountability is on both the head coach and the players but since Jerry meddles, well nobody truly respects the HC....

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The talent here has been over rated. We've been good but not great.