Stop putting DLaw in the same sentence with Jaylon Smith

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Wow D Law actually tried for once this year and the season has been saved. Oh wait. The season is already over because the defense is the worst ever. Nevermind.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jaylon and Demarcus, sitting in a tree
K I S S I N G.

It's not technically a sentence, more a poem. Don't ever tell me not to do something.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
D Law is called on to do, and does do, the dirty work inside. If he is double teamed, or the plays are run to the opposite side of the field, he's obviously not going to have the sacks and tackles to "justify his contract". He forces running backs inside, applies enough pressure on the quarterback to keep him in the pocket, etc.

Yes he got paid based on the 14.5 sack season, but a lot of players get more sacks in one season than any other, Ware had a 20.5 sack season, but not every season. The NFL is more complicated than that. And remember he did have shoulder surgery in an off season, that was bothering him most of the season before that.

The sacks aren't coming in part because teams can run inside on Dallas all day, besides being able to throw quick passes because the DBs and LBs (like Smith) don't cover well.

Is he a top-5 DE? No, and is somewhat overpaid, but overall he's a very good DE, he does more than enough to justify keeping him on the team past this year. It's the same with any player, if you play with a team that has a lot of other good players, you'll do better than being on a team with a poor supporting cast, which is the case with Lawrence currently...

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I love how all of our "best" players are not playing well this year because they need to have "better" players around them. If that is the case are they really your "best" players or are they just players.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I love how all of our "best" players are not playing well this year because they need to have "better" players around them. If that is the case are they really your "best" players or are they just players.

No team can have top players at every position. How many SB teams don't have at least a pretty good number of Pro Bowlers? Chiefs had 6 last year, 49ers had 4. Rare is the time a team doesn't have quite a few. One of Dallas' SB teams had zero on defense despite having the no. 1 defense most of the year, but we all know once a player gets on the Pro Bowl roster, they often get back on the next year, or even 2, just on reputation, and new players like on the Dallas team don't have the time in the league to get widely recognized, for example.

It's still a team game, the best receiver, for example, isn't going to do much if the other receivers and tight ends aren't very good, defenses will just blanket the receiver, in which case the receiver won't "do well".

The Dallas defense is really poor, due to various reasons, don't care how good you are you have to have at least a pretty good supporting cast.

Archie Manning was a very good quarterback years ago, but his teams sucked, he never had a good record. How good was Aikman his first year, when the rest of the team was awful, for the most part? Yet 3 years later he's a "great quarterback" and a SB winner, suddenly "one of the most accurate quarterbacks ever". Gee, amazing what just a year or two can do for a player! The rest of the team has a lot to do with one player's success in many instances