Stop the nonsense

JJHLH1

Reaction score
I don't think you understand how the non-exclusive tag works.

On the “non-exclusive” franchise tag players can negotiate with other teams, but if the player signs an offer sheet with another team, the original team has the right to match the offer or receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

My point is that no team is going to offer Dak a deal which will cost them 2 first-round draft picks when they can wait a year to negotiate with Dak when he becomes an unrestricted free agent and it won’t cost two first-round picks.

A well-run NFL team would never consider doing something so foolish as negotiating with Dak now.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I've seen this suggestion many times.

Here's the deal. No team would be interested. So it would accomplish nothing. Nobody's giving up two 1s for the right to give Dak Prescott 40 million a year. It's not happening. You'd have to be delusional to think there'd be interest in that.

The Cowboys are negotiating against themselves. Which is why they're idiots and Prescott actually has no leverage despite media and fan boy reports.
Why would anyone give up 2 #1’s instead of waiting until he’s a FA. If they did ,huge idiots. No one would give that up.

Prescott’s only leverage is if Jethro still wants him. If so then he’s risking losing him. That’s Daks only leverage. Another Tag is a certainty this would be it for Prescott in Dallas.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
On the “non-exclusive” franchise tag players can negotiate with other teams, but if the player signs an offer sheet with another team, the original team has the right to match the offer or receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

My point is that no team is going to offer Dak a deal which will cost them 2 first-round draft picks when they can wait a year to negotiate with Dak when he becomes an unrestricted free agent and it won’t cost two first-round picks.

A well-run NFL team would never consider doing something so foolish as negotiating with Dak now.

A well run team now would absolutely negotiate now because now is the only chance they get. This isn't a one year deal for a potential suitor, its a long term deal.

If you don't believe a couple of teams wouldn't place an offer ad Dak's feet, you are not thinking clearly.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
A well run team now would absolutely negotiate now because now is the only chance they get. This isn't a one year deal for a potential suitor, its a long term deal.

If you don't believe a couple of teams wouldn't place an offer ad Dak's feet, you are not thinking clearly.

I couldn’t disagree more.

It’s not their only chance. Other teams just have to be patient and wait a year.

Two first round picks are huge. You are underestimating their value.

When was the last time a team gave up two first-round picks and it worked out for them?

No team will place an offer on Dak if he is given the non-exclusive tag.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
I couldn’t disagree more.

Two first round picks are huge, especially when you can wait a year and not have to give them up.

When was the last time a team gave up two first-round picks and it worked out for them?

As I said in another thread, any team that is taking Dak probably isn't thinking they are giving up top 10 first rounders. They are likely giving up 25 or higher which honestly isn't that big of a deal if you just got a starting QB.

Blitzen

Reaction score
That was a terrible trade but the Rams did it to dump salary. In this scenario a team is giving up two 1st round picks and adding one of the richest contracts in league history to their salary cap.

For what? Dak Prescott? Be real.

I dunno. Washington gave up 3 first rounders for RGIII. You are discounting the possibility because you as a GM would not make a lot of these moves (especially considering a player you do not value).

The only clubs that would pull it would be teams that feel confident that even decent QB play could result in the team becoming a contender (at least to make the playoffs). Those teams would also feel that they have a 2-3 year window right now and cannot see a better QB than Dak becoming available to them in that time period. I think there are 3 such teams that might consider it. Number one is Washington, who are too far down the draft board to feel confident in landing even the fifth rated rookie. Alex Smith already proved they could win with decent QB play. Miami and Chicago could be the other teams. Indianapolis would have been one without their trade. A lot has to do with if the Jets give up on Darnold or that the Texans will deal Deshaun Watson this year (they won't) or the Seahawks will deal Russell this year (they won't).

There just aren't many better options which is why certain guys get paid a lot for being average. Just sayin. Teams will try to maximize a window of opportunity when there are no better options.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I'm a Cowboys fan as well. If Dak doesn't want to sign with the Cowboys, that's his fault. I think the offer given to him is more than fair.

However, I think they should think of trading Dak for draft picks. Trade up and get a QB in this years draft.

Whatever the Cowboys need right now they can't afford to sit back and wait for things to happen. The longer they wait, the more they lose leverage.

The front office will goof this up. Dak will end up going to another team, and we have no compensation to show for.
Its simple logic, but Jerry has to quit walking the hall ways and high fiving and stay out of the locker room and start understanding how valuable the "NET" is.
Cant be a GM and a friend Jerry.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I'm sorry little fella. I didn't mean to get your feelers going. Don't be sassy just because you got grammatically punked. Xoxoxo

Oh, the anget flows with this lad!
Let it out. Let the frustrations and anger out and breathe free again!