Stop these QBs runs up the middle

TWOK11

Reaction score
Here’s a dirty little secret: NFL DCs don’t really care that much about about QB scrambles. This is because one, it is not a sustainable means of offense over time and two, it generally means you’re creating a lot of pressure and the passing game isn’t as effective.

NFL games are won and lost by passing efficiency, and most notably explosive passing metrics. This is because sustainable offense requires chunk plays through the air. Teams that try to score by slowly moving the ball with the running game generally get tripped up because one holding penalty, one bad snap, one dropped pass and the drive could be over. And the more plays it takes to score the more likely this is to happen.

QB scrambles are a play unique for offenses because they have EXTRMELY high rates of penalties. Very frequently holding is happening because the QB is getting pressure. Blocks in the back downfield and illegal men downfield are also seen on these plays. And lots of scrambles also mean you are probably getting lots of pressures and/or sacks, and as a result also creating turnovers. Over the course of a game and season, you are likely getting mostly net wins if QBs are tying to escape and run on you a lot. And therefore it is not the primary concern of most DCs. They take a “if it happens it happens, that’s not a sustainable model for them to have success” approach.

The reason Dallas is winning games eight now is because our defense is holding opposing offenses to the worst adjusted passing efficiency and explosiveness metrics in the entire NFL. That’s it, that’s the reason. All other reasons discussed here (running game, Rush, OL, etc.) are trivial in comparison. And it’s also why our bad run defenses hasn’t really mattered, because running the ball has almost no correlation with winning in modern football.

I’ve been explaining this to you guys for years, and for years you’ve been ignoring. Now you’re seeing it play out in the most obvious manner possible and you still want to ignore it.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Defense will give up at least 17 this week.
If Gallup is more involved and we use a pitch to Pollard and attack off tackle we have a chance. But will we see Zeke with his 2yds per carry? Likely. :facepalm:
Just don't embarrass us.
In Quinn I trust
MM and KM not so much
Who knows

Noshame---- i like our chances but did not realize i laid down on Octuple ( 8 )...as i have told others....administering self urinalysis....was i slipped a Mickey?.....but regardless....like our chances because Rams

are not the running team that beat us 30-22 in divisional round of 2018....Stafford already thrown 6 INT's thru 4 games to just 4 TD's.....and we play out of our minds on defense and pick and choose holes on offense

Cowboys 4-1 going to Philly....plus i heard Dak had or has issue with scar tissue on ankle more than the thumb....and rest is good for Dak......if Dak can get up to 100% and we got Gallup back and our O line playing

better we can be that team like Cincy was last year....come on Cooper Clutch just find us a way to get into winners circle ....we just need 10 wins and we are in....and Dak will be 100% and defense will be Doomsday # 4

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Noshame---- i like our chances but did not realize i laid down on Octuple ( 8 )...as i have told others....administering self urinalysis....was i slipped a Mickey?.....but regardless....like our chances because Rams

are not the running team that beat us 30-22 in divisional round of 2018....Stafford already thrown 6 INT's thru 4 games to just 4 TD's.....and we play out of our minds on defense and pick and choose holes on offense

Cowboys 4-1 going to Philly....plus i heard Dak had or has issue with scar tissue on ankle more than the thumb....and rest is good for Dak......if Dak can get up to 100% and we got Gallup back and our O line playing

better we can be that team like Cincy was last year....come on Cooper Clutch just find us a way to get into winners circle ....we just need 10 wins and we are in....and Dak will be 100% and defense will be Doomsday # 4
My hope is after the Super Bowl win the desire is just not there
I've never been so up in the air.

this could be this could be the beginning of the end for the rams or the spark that sends them on a tear.

fansince68

Reaction score
- The good thing is between Cincy and NYG, the pass rush was so relentless that opposing QBs
had to bail and take off running to save their very lives.

- The bad thing is if these opposing QBs have any sensible mobility and running legs, they are gonna
keep taking off up the middle vs our defense for huge gains and converted first downs.

- That's gonna threaten to keep drives alive when we need to get them off the field

- We saw Cincy's Joe Burrow taking off up the middle for several big gains and first downs,
and we saw Daniel Jones constantly taking off up the wide open middle for big gains
and converted 1st downs too.

- Lets see if Dan Quinn and staff will make adjustments to these big, wide open runs
vs these scrambling QBs,

- And to think, we'll soon have Philly's Jalen Hurts to deal with in terms vs running QBs.
I wish OUR QBs would do the same.