Street & Smith's take on the Commanders

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
apickmans said:
so youre still conceding that it was dumb question though?

Nope, re-read my post. :)

I'm saying that it is obviously not fact as the skins won the game.

However, if you were willing to answer his question at all by saying that you can't tell what would have happened had the Boys won that second game is to entertain an alternate reality that was not fact. So if you can make that leap of intellectual prowess, then surely you can figure in the rest of the wins and losses as they were with the exception of that one game. :)

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Funxva said:

However, if you were willing to answer his question at all by saying that you can't tell what would have happened had the Boys won that second game is to entertain an alternate reality that was not fact. So if you can make that leap of intellectual prowess, then surely you can figure in the rest of the wins and losses as they were with the exception of that one game. :)

aprickman! Are you out there?

(crickets shirping)
(roaches crawling)...

YES

or

NO

Be a big boy and answer....

:rolleyes:

:star:

apickmans

Reaction score
5Stars said:
aprickman! Are you out there?

(crickets shirping)
(roaches crawling)...

YES

or

NO

Be a big boy and answer....

:rolleyes:

:star:

i gotta head out but ill leave it at this. 5 stars i know you just want me to answer "if we had lost that game to the cowboys then no we would not of made the playoffs, if everything else had played out the way it did" but im not gonna say that cuz then you'll just be like "see, i told you the cowboys let the skins in the playoffs (how this whole arguement started)" and im not willing to concede that one game decided that entire season. Thats it.

apickmans

Reaction score
Funxva said:

heh im just not trying ot fall into 5stars trap thats all.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
The Cowboys games did not put the Commanders in the playoffs. The last game of the season against the Eagles did.

The question is BS.

There is no telling what coulda, shoulda, woulda. To try and spin that one win into the Cowboys favor to make the playoffs in week two is just assinine.

That said, if the Panthers had showed up against the Cowboys on Xmas Eve would it have made a difference ? See my point ? Hindsight is 20/20.

MossBurner

Reaction score
5Stars said:
They were there because of one fluke game...the first one you guys won against the Boyz...

If not for that, no, you would not have been in the playoffs, and we would not have to be hearing from you RedStinks!

Is that clear enough for you...the Cowboys let you squeak in...simple!

:dissskin:

If, if, if. If the refs hadn't blown the Skins game at Tampa on that false 2-point conversion, the Skins would have been the second seed in the NFC with a bye and 2nd round home game. If, if, if...

MossBurner

Reaction score
5Stars said:
Not the same question at all!

Again...I will T Y P E S L O W for you, OK?

If everything would have played out last year like it did....but your RedStink would have LOST the first game....would your team have made the playoffs!

Yes or No...Skippy? I need some laughter from RedStink logic!

:lmao2:

Who knows? They might have won 14 straight to make it into the playoffs if they indeed had lost in week 2. Get over it.

lspain1

Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
Anyway, here is what the opposing coach or scout said about the Commanders and their offseason:

"The Commanders are the Commanders. They make a big splash every year. They go out and throw money around and throw it at the wrong players. They come in and have to fight to get to 8-8. They really weren't a playoff team. [Adam] Archuleta is just a guy. Brandon Lloyd is just a guy, not a difference-maker. Defensively, Gregg Williams is a magician. He's done more with less than any defensive coordinator in the league. They'll be good defensively, but offensively I think they'll go backwards because [Mark] Brunell is a year older. Al Saunders will put in a complete new offense and, if you look where it's been installed at new places, it takes two years for it to fire up. The first year he was in Kansas City, they were 6-10. It's a very complicated offense and different from anything Joe Gibbs is used to. I don't think they'll win eight games."

In another spot, the rival coach or scout wonders how Brunell will do with Saunders offense... how quickly he'll pick it up. He says:

"The key is how quickly he grasps the offense. It's a complicated offense, all [about] speed cuts. He does have some wide receivers who fit. [Santana] Moss fits. [Brandon] Lloyd will fit. [Chris] Cooley doesn't fit. There's no such thing as an H-back. [Clinton] Portis fits. Brunell is going to have to know where to go with the ball and get it out of his hands. Jason Campbell can't play in this offense right away. He could play in the old [Joe] Gibbs offense. This offense is a timing offense. If a receiver isn't exactly where he's supposed to be, it's going to be an interception. If the ball isn't out on time, it's not going to be a completion. No route adjustments, no audible system."

To bring the subject thread back from a bash fest, let's summarize the points made in the article:

1. A team that had spotty performances when Brunell wasn't on the top of his game but was rarely out of any game (if any) due to a good defense.

2. A new (or changed) offensive scheme is going to be put in place this year with uncertain consequences.

3. The off season additions will not make a huge impact.

4. If Brunell gets hurt, Campbell will not be able to pick up the slack.

Many have said that the Commanders will go as Brunell goes. That isn't news and how would the Cowboys do if Bledsoe went down? The 'not a playoff team' comment seems like a cheap shot because they did indeed go to the playoffs. The offense did not perform very well once there.

I'm not convinced the Commanders will totally throw out a scheme that brought them 11-5 last year. Their offense faded in the playoffs but was respectable to good in the regular season. I would expect some changes to try and take advantage of their new personnel but nothing wholesale.

I'm not sure the new players need to make a big impact for the skins to be successful. The skins were a good team last year and they should be a bit better this year if Brunell plays as well as he did last season. Their defense will keep them in games..the offense needs to be just good enough to win. New year...same formula.

The skins and Cowboys were close statistically last year. The skins were slightly better (offense and defense) and the head-to-head results were enough to carry the day.
I believe the injuries the Cowboys suffered overall had more impact than those the skins suffered. It is fair to say that the game early in the season had nothing to do with injuries. The Commanders were better than the Cowboys when it counted pure and simple.

Most on this board would say that the offseason additions the Cowboys made were better than those the skins made. I'm sure the skins fans try to put up a brave front on this subject, but the addition of TO by the Cowboys brings a bit of a queasy feeling if they are honest about it. I expect close games but the edge to go to the Cowboys. We'll see.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
kowboys 05 said:
obviously im going to say the boys, you guys got lucky :p:

Actually, I'm a Cowboys fan.

But my point is that even if we had the most talented team last year, the Skins still swept us. So having the most talented team this upcoming year does not assure a victory, much less two, over the Skins.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dale said:
It's a viewpoint we Cowboy fans have to enjoy reading.

But, remember, I'm sure you could just as easily find an NFL scout/coach who would gush over some of the things they've done.

To me, the "they weren't really a playoff team" comment is crap. How were they not really a playoff team? They not only advanced to the postseason but WON in the first round. They absolutely justified their inclusion in the playoffs.

I found the Al Saunders comment interesting, about how his offense takes two years to start clicking. To me, that's a comment of real substance and not just an undeserved jab.

I'm curious, though, how did Kansas City's offense do in its first year under Saunders? Their overall record wasn't good, but was that just because of the offense's struggles or were there bigger problems?

I am with you on that.

The not a real playoff team makes it sound hokey because I hate the friggin Skinns but they were simply a very good club at the end of the year and into the playoffs.

The offense changing does merit watching. Timin-based offenses generally rely on QBs with really good arms and WRs who run exact routes. I do not know if they have the personnel for that so perhaps they do less timing stuff than Saunders has in the past.

The defense was very good last year with Arrington on the field. He gave them a playmaker to go with a very solid overall unit. Unless they have unlocked the magic of Andre Carter I doubt they have that playmaker this season.

In 2001 under Saunders the KC offense was 4th in yards but only 16th in scoring. The next two seasons they finished 1st in scoring so improved drastically after year one.

For me the big question will be can their OL pick up the new running plays. Those timing based offenses rely on a run game to do much.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
The Cowboys games did not put the Commanders in the playoffs. The last game of the season against the Eagles did.

And if we were handed the game via muffed punts and poor QB play by a terrible Mike McMahon, would you feel Dallas deserved the playoff berth?

Absolutely not.

That said, if the Panthers had showed up against the Cowboys on Xmas Eve would it have made a difference ? See my point ? Hindsight is 20/20.

A Panthers team "not showing up" is worse than a totally damaged Eagle team giving you everything you could handle? The Panthers had just as much at stake in that game as we did. The Eagles were playing on fumes.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
MossBurner said:
If, if, if. If the refs hadn't blown the Skins game at Tampa on that false 2-point conversion, the Skins would have been the second seed in the NFC with a bye and 2nd round home game. If, if, if...

:laugh1:

The referees.

It's always the referees with you people.

Paranoia is sad.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jterrell said:
In 2001 under Saunders the KC offense was 4th in yards but only 16th in scoring. The next two seasons they finished 1st in scoring so improved drastically after year one.

For me the big question will be can their OL pick up the new running plays. Those timing based offenses rely on a run game to do much.
That running game is what fueled KC's rise in offense. They built a solid front then added Holmes. Just like our running game took off with the addition of Emmitt, the same happened in KC when a premier RB arrived. The question I have is can the Skins have that same success? I'm not completely convinced.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MossBurner said:
If there wouldn't have been that terrible God awful pass interference call against Benny Barnes we would have won SB13. That would give us 6 rings now. If, if, if...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
If there wouldn't have been that terrible God awful pass interference call against Benny Barnes we would have won SB13. That would give us 6 rings now. If, if, if...
Don't forget the illegal catch by Mackey in Super Bowl V and the fumble recovery they gave to Baltimore because the refs listened to the players instead of unpiling them. Our guy got up with the football and it was still Baltimore's ball. Ridiculous.