Street & Smith's take on the Commanders

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Gamebreaker said:
That doesn't make it any more valid. The Giants get shut out in the first round, no one says they didn't deserve to be a playoff team. The Skins play two competitive games and they should've never been there?

They were there because of one fluke game...the first one you guys won against the Boyz...

If not for that, no, you would not have been in the playoffs, and we would not have to be hearing from you RedStinks!

Is that clear enough for you...the Cowboys let you squeak in...simple!

:dissskin:

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
Rich, I also find the Commanders' experiment (because that is what it is) to build a team in today's NFL via free agency interesting. It'll be a neat trick if it works. Your depth discussion also points out the main weakness of the approach.

I think the other problem is that it will be difficult to repeat the success year in and year out. Not as in being a legit SB contender every year. More as in going to the playoffs each season. This approach will almost always create depth issues and since you're relying on bringing in FA's every year a lot more than most teams rely on rookies, if they don't fit in right away that creates a biggest setback.

Last year one of the significant weaknesses of the Cowboys was a lack of depth. That weakness was exposed by injuries and made a huge difference in the season outcome. I would also submit that both the Eagles and the Giants suffered similar fates due to injuries and lack of depth to varying degrees.

Dallas had some decent depth. Where we got killed was the lack of depth on the O-Line. We had plenty of depth on defense as the rookies and CB's turned out better than expected, but we had a ridiculous amount of injuries.

To me, the Eagles can't claim they had a worse amount of injuries than Dallas had last season. McNabb was hurt, but was still a capable QB. When he went down, their season was over with anyway. Westbrook didn't go down until their season was over with. Todd Pinkston's injury was really more significant in the grand scheme of things than McNabb or Westbrook's. Other than that, Tra Thomas went down when their season was over with, Fraley stunk and he went down in the same poor situation.

Dallas OTOH, lost Flozell and Jacob Rogers with significant time left in their season. Julius had a high ankle sprain in week 5 and wasn't the same until week 16. We lost 5 LB's to I-R, Ratliff (a starter) to I-R, and then Anthony Henry practically went on I-R after the Cardinals game as he may have played all of a dozen downs after the injury.

The Giants had LB problems. But the main problem was that Osi Umenyiora is purely a speed rusher and once Antonio Pierce went down, teams just started running at him at will. He then would either try to bull rush to stop the run and be rather ineffective or he would speed rush and they'd run at him with great success.

The team that seemed to suffer least in the NFCE to this was the Commanders. I believe the Commanders had fewer players on the DL than the rest of the division, and those players that went on came off quicker with a milder set of injuries. Unless the skins' have discovered a training regimen that magically reduces injuries, that pattern is not likely to repeat itself this season

Off the top of my head, Jansen had some broken thumbs, Portis had some shoulder issues late in the year, Thomas went down with a broken leg in the second game against us (blame Gibbs for that, it was stupid having him out there when they were up by 35 points), Springs started to break down towards the end, Griffin went out for 3 key games, and Taylor went out for a game.

The only real possible damaging injury they had last season was Griffin, but he wasn't gone long enough for it to be a problem and when he came back they didn't miss a beat. Went Portis got hurt and Thomas went down, that really killed their playoff chances since Ray Brown was awful and they couldn't run the ball without a healthy Portis.

If the Skins stay healthy, they'll be fine. But they've got quite a few players that they probably cannot afford to lose to injury.

Rich..........

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
I think the other problem is that it will be difficult to repeat the success year in and year out. Not as in being a legit SB contender every year. More as in going to the playoffs each season. This approach will almost always create depth issues and since you're relying on bringing in FA's every year a lot more than most teams rely on rookies, if they don't fit in right away that creates a biggest setback.

Dallas had some decent depth. Where we got killed was the lack of depth on the O-Line. We had plenty of depth on defense as the rookies and CB's turned out better than expected, but we had a ridiculous amount of injuries.

To me, the Eagles can't claim they had a worse amount of injuries than Dallas had last season. McNabb was hurt, but was still a capable QB. When he went down, their season was over with anyway. Westbrook didn't go down until their season was over with. Todd Pinkston's injury was really more significant in the grand scheme of things than McNabb or Westbrook's. Other than that, Tra Thomas went down when their season was over with, Fraley stunk and he went down in the same poor situation.

Dallas OTOH, lost Flozell and Jacob Rogers with significant time left in their season. Julius had a high ankle sprain in week 5 and wasn't the same until week 16. We lost 5 LB's to I-R, Ratliff (a starter) to I-R, and then Anthony Henry practically went on I-R after the Cardinals game as he may have played all of a dozen downs after the injury.

The Giants had LB problems. But the main problem was that Osi Umenyiora is purely a speed rusher and once Antonio Pierce went down, teams just started running at him at will. He then would either try to bull rush to stop the run and be rather ineffective or he would speed rush and they'd run at him with great success.

Off the top of my head, Jansen had some broken thumbs, Portis had some shoulder issues late in the year, Thomas went down with a broken leg in the second game against us (blame Gibbs for that, it was stupid having him out there when they were up by 35 points), Springs started to break down towards the end, Griffin went out for 3 key games, and Taylor went out for a game.

The only real possible damaging injury they had last season was Griffin, but he wasn't gone long enough for it to be a problem and when he came back they didn't miss a beat. Went Portis got hurt and Thomas went down, that really killed their playoff chances since Ray Brown was awful and they couldn't run the ball without a healthy Portis.

If the Skins stay healthy, they'll be fine. But they've got quite a few players that they probably cannot afford to lose to injury.

Rich..........

Ah, I cannot wait until "Your meaningless takes" come back. :)

apickmans

Reaction score
5Stars said:
They were there because of one fluke game...the first one you guys won against the Boyz...

If not for that, no, you would not have been in the playoffs, and we would not have to be hearing from you RedStinks!

Is that clear enough for you...the Cowboys let you squeak in...simple!

heh maybe you should of taken care of business in the 2nd one then.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Funxva said:
Ah, I cannot wait until "Your meaningless takes" come back. :)
Me too. I look forward to those as much as any regular happening on this forum.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
apickmans said:
heh maybe you should of taken care of business in the 2nd one then.

How? With all the injuries? No excuse, your team won that game, easily I might add...

However, don't come tooting your horn about how the mighty RedStinks made the playoffs! The Cowboys made the playoffs FOR your team...simple as that....

Don't you agree, aprickman?

apickmans

Reaction score
5Stars said:
How? With all the injuries? No excuse, your team won that game, easily I might add...

However, don't come tooting your horn about how the mighty RedStinks made the playoffs! The Cowboys made the playoffs FOR your team...simple as that....

Don't you agree, aprickman?

Find me where i was tooting my horn. The cowboys made the playoffs for my team?? .....please, i mean you honestly believe a win in week 2 was the reason we made it into the playoffs? You might be delusional man. So yeah you can say i dont agree with you.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
apickmans said:
Find me where i was tooting my horn. The cowboys made the playoffs for my team?? .....please, i mean you honestly believe a win in week 2 was the reason we made it into the playoffs? You might be delusional man. So yeah you can say i dont agree with you.

Riddle me this Batman?

Would the RedStinks have made the playoffs if the Cowboys would have finished off that first game instead of getting lacksdaisacal(however you spell that word), and blowing it?

:rolleyes:

apickmans

Reaction score
5Stars said:
Riddle me this Batman?

Would the RedStinks have made the playoffs if the Cowboys would have finished off that first game instead of getting lacksdaisacal(however you spell that word), and blowing it?

:rolleyes:

No one can answer that. It was very early in the season.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
apickmans said:
No one can answer that. It was very early in the season.

OK...fair answer...

Answer this, Robin! If the Cowboys would have won that first game, and everything played out like it did last year, would your team have made the playoffs? :cool:

:star:

apickmans

Reaction score
5Stars said:
OK...fair answer...

Answer this, Robin! If the Cowboys would have won that first game, and everything played out like it did last year, would your team have made the playoffs? :cool:

haha are you serious 5 stars....isnt that pretty much the same question.

jimmy40

Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
I got Street & Smith's Pro Football Yearbook today off of the newsstand and I found it interesting what they have to say about the Commanders. They seem to have a pretty similar view as to what a lot of us around here have. I say "they" but really, the part I'm talking about is from a section they do for each team called "View From The Other Sideline". It is where Street and Smith's asks a coach or scout from a rival team what they think about that particular team. I like it because it isn't just some writer's opinion. It's actually what a member of the NFL thinks about the team and their offseason moves and so is probably a lot more likely to be on target. I usually don't put too much stock into what the preseason magazines say... but coming from an opposing team, I think this is pretty credible. I think it's on target, too.

Anyway, here is what the opposing coach or scout said about the Commanders and their offseason:

"The Commanders are the Commanders. They make a big splash every year. They go out and throw money around and throw it at the wrong players. They come in and have to fight to get to 8-8. They really weren't a playoff team. [Adam] Archuleta is just a guy. Brandon Lloyd is just a guy, not a difference-maker. Defensively, Gregg Williams is a magician. He's done more with less than any defensive coordinator in the league. They'll be good defensively, but offensively I think they'll go backwards because [Mark] Brunell is a year older. Al Saunders will put in a complete new offense and, if you look where it's been installed at new places, it takes two years for it to fire up. The first year he was in Kansas City, they were 6-10. It's a very complicated offense and different from anything Joe Gibbs is used to. I don't think they'll win eight games."

Commander fans... if you don't believe me, pick a copy up for yourself. I didn't add a thing to that coach's thoughts.

I find it funny because that's what Cowboy fans have been saying since the end of last season. That Archuleta and Lloyd are very average pick-ups, at best and that although they were in the playoffs last year... the team wasn't really very good and had a plethora of holes... holes that Archuleta, Lloyd, Randal El, and Carter aren't going to be enough to fill.

The fact that the guy who said this is a coach or scout in the NFL gives a lot of weight to his opinion and lets us fans know that we're not the only one's who see Washington as somewhat less than a second round playoff team.

In another spot, the rival coach or scout wonders how Brunell will do with Saunders offense... how quickly he'll pick it up. He says:

"The key is how quickly he grasps the offense. It's a complicated offense, all [about] speed cuts. He does have some wide receivers who fit. [Santana] Moss fits. [Brandon] Lloyd will fit. [Chris] Cooley doesn't fit. There's no such thing as an H-back. [Clinton] Portis fits. Brunell is going to have to know where to go with the ball and get it out of his hands. Jason Campbell can't play in this offense right away. He could play in the old [Joe] Gibbs offense. This offense is a timing offense. If a receiver isn't exactly where he's supposed to be, it's going to be an interception. If the ball isn't out on time, it's not going to be a completion. No route adjustments, no audible system."

When I read that, I thought, "Boy... I don't know if Lloyd is going to be disciplined enough to run precise enough routes for that offense. He tends to march a litte to the beat of his own drummer, if you know what I mean. He might work just fine... but he'll have to be more disciplined than he's been in the past.

Anyway, I just thought all of this was interesting, coming from an actual NFL scout or coach.

Overall, a pretty good preseason magazine and it has NFL coach and scout takes on each team, so it's good to read takes from guys who really know what they're talking about.

I'm sure Commander fans will say that he doesn't know what he's talking about. :laugh1:
for some reason I thought the title said Smith and Wesson's take on the Commanders.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
apickmans said:
haha are you serious 5 stars....isnt that pretty much the same question.

Not the same question at all!

Again...I will T Y P E S L O W for you, OK?

If everything would have played out last year like it did....but your RedStink would have LOST the first game....would your team have made the playoffs!

Yes or No...Skippy? I need some laughter from RedStink logic!

:lmao2:

apickmans

Reaction score
5Stars said:
Not the same question at all!

Again...I will T Y P E S L O W for you, OK?

If everything would have played out last year like it did....but your RedStink would have LOST the first game....would your team have made the playoffs!

Yes or No...Skippy? I need some laughter from RedStink logic!

:lmao2:

Its very dumb to assume everything would of played out the way it did if the Commanders would of lost that early game. Whos to say they wouldnt of played with a huge sense of urgency(like they did towards the end of the season) right after the dallas game, IF they had lost. I mean you just cant predict what would of happened, it was way too early in the season. Youre not asking very good questions.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
apickmans said:
Its very dumb to assume everything would of played out the way it did if the Commanders would of lost that early game. Whos to say they wouldnt of played with a huge sense of urgency(like they did towards the end of the season) right after the dallas game, IF they had lost. I mean you just cant predict what would of happened, it was way too early in the season. Youre not asking very good questions.

ACtually it's not that dumb at all, I think you're inability to see what he is asking is less than smart.

If you concede that we won that game in an alternate reality, then you are already considering something that didn't happen, so take the rest of his question as fact as well.

apickmans

Reaction score
Funxva said:
ACtually it's not that dumb at all, I think you're inability to see what he is asking is less than smart.

If you concede that we won that game in an alternate reality, then you are already considering something that didn't happen, so take the rest of his question as fact as well.

so youre still conceding that it was dumb question though?

apickmans

Reaction score
Funxva said:

How?! I cant predict what would of happened if the Commanders had lost that 1st game!....i know you guys just want me to say..."uhhh yeah the Commanders def. wouldnt of made the playoffs if we had lost that early season game to the cowboys...i mean theres so chance we would of with 14 games left in the season".........what was i thinking??

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
apickmans said:

:drunk:

RedStink logic at it's best! Don't backpedal and go around the question!

Answer a SIMPLE question...let's see you try it!

YES

NO

Gibbs wants to know, too!