Strength of the team is our WR’s

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I agree, I think the cowboys can get away with their current TE group if they can significantly upgrade defensively, but I wouldn’t be shocked at all to see Kyle pitts be the selection if we stay at pick 10. Especially in this offense, the TE is loaded with targets. Having a true mismatch at the position would be a monster advantage.
I am on board with you.

Taking a very dynamic TE would make Dak and Dallas potentially in the discussion of the best teams if they can rebuild the defense,too.

When I recall our best teams our TEs always were a dagger to attack other things the defense was doing to stop us.

Franke Clark was Meredith's TE. He was a larger TE who had WR speed and he made huge plays against good teams. When Bobby Hayes was being double teamed..Clark ran free underneath and was a playmaker.

Novacheck with Aikman. Another lethal combo in the 90s that dissected defensive teams who could contain Irvin and slowdown Emmitt somewhat but got TE plays that extended drives moved sticks and gave Aikman a security blanket to go to.

Dak had Witten and it was an effective combo in 2016. Unfortunately Witten was wearing down and we have not replaced him yet.

McCarthy knows about how to use TE to attack a defense. GB used the position to propel Farve and Rodgers to SBs.

So I am all in on taking a game changing TE like Pitts at 10.

I approve this message.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I personally think it’s really odd to have the strength of your team as wide receivers....doesn’t make a lot of since to me to have so much draft capital tied up there but it is....

I can’t recall any good playoffs teams that had the WRs as their best unit
I thought it was the DL and secondary...but I guess I am wrong :cool::rolleyes:

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Stupid Cowboys and their horrible drafting. Morons for landing M. Gallup with a 3rd round pick. Idiots for taking a blue chip player in Lamb. Fools for selecting Cedrick Wilson in the 6th. And what about that Amari trade? Who'd be dumb enough to give up the 27th overall pick for a cat who's only racked up 3000 yards, 19 TDs, and 224 receptions without so much as a grin? I'm telling you if these Cowboys keep drafting this well I'm out. I won't sit by and watch this.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Hill Watkins Kelce

Where are you guys getting Watkins being anything more than average? Chiefs have Hill and Kelce, one is a WR the other is a TE. No one is suggesting not to get a good/great receiving TE if you can.

They also have a generational QB and their defense last year came on strong during the playoffs. The closest would have been the Steelers who continue to find WRs and little else.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
WR just happens to be our best unit. You make it sound like having a strong WR group is a detriment to your chances of being a good playoff team. We had a strong WR group in the 90s. Our top two receivers were drafted in the first round. Most good playoff teams have solid defenses to go along with a solid QB and passing game.
:hammer:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
We are definitely blessed with our receivers.

And throwing the ball is going to be how you win consistently. So once Dak returns..it should stabilize things.

TE still must be addressed. It was plainly clear this weekend how the TEs are used attacking once inside the 30. When the passing lanes get compressed the WRs lose their effectiveness and you must hit your 6-4 heavy receiver and slam the ball with short passes.

It helps if you are Mahomes and can move and free the receivers freelances to break free.

But we all saw alot of good OL play this Sunday. Let us take that for what it's worth.

I take this guy and grin.

School

Reaction score
Where are you guys getting Watkins being anything more than average? Chiefs have Hill and Kelce, one is a WR the other is a TE. No one is suggesting not to get a good/great receiving TE if you can.

They also have a generational QB and their defense last year came on strong during the playoffs. The closest would have been the Steelers who continue to find WRs and little else.

The takeaway is the Chiefs understand the importance of having weapons on offense, even with a great qb and coach.

They gave Watson a large contract when they already had Hill and Kelce, and he came up big for them in the postseason last year. They were a top spender at the wr position when they won the Superbowl, and Kelce is the highest paid te in the league. They also drafted a rb in the first round this season.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The takeaway is the Chiefs understand the importance of having weapons on offense, even with a great qb and coach.

They gave Watson a large contract when they already had Hill and Kelce, and he came up big for them in the postseason last year. They were a top spender at the wr position when they won the Superbowl, and Kelce is the highest paid te in the league. They also drafted a rb in the first round this season.

Except no, we are talking about paying big money to 3 WRs and having that as the BEST players on the team. Hill is great and Kelce is great to go ALONGSIDE a generational QB. Watkins is average and overpaid and injured all the time, not a good contract and hardly a great point.

The Chiefs went out and paid good money to fix up their safety position. They also have a DT in Chris Jones. Two positions we continue to either miss on or neglect. The Chiefs are not a good example. The Steelers are a better example of a team that put their money on skill positions.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
If Gallup keeps on playing like he's been playing he's going to get us at the second or third round pick with the massive contract he's going to get in free agency.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'd like to agree but if that same unit leads the league in dropped passes 2 years straight.....seems like they are hurting as much as they are helping.....This is two years straight of this.

For arguments sake though....Chiefs are 5th in the league in dropped passes.....

School

Reaction score
Except no, we are talking about paying big money to 3 WRs and having that as the BEST players on the team. Hill is great and Kelce is great to go ALONGSIDE a generational QB. Watkins is average and overpaid and injured all the time, not a good contract and hardly a great point.

The Chiefs went out and paid good money to fix up their safety position. They also have a DT in Chris Jones. Two positions we continue to either miss on or neglect. The Chiefs are not a good example. The Steelers are a better example of a team that put their money on skill positions.

The Cowboys aren't paying big money to their wrs relative to the rest of the league, and I don't think anyone is arguing paying big money to all 3 wrs. Lamb is on the cheap for 3 more years, which is fantastic. These wrs aren't stopping them from having talent elsewhere on the team, just like having highly paid skill position players hasn't stopped the chiefs, as you noted.

Yes I believe the Chiefs are a good example of a team that has invested heavily in offensive weapons and has had success. The Steelers, on the other hand, are probably not the best example, since they're famous for not paying their non-qb skill position players (Brown and Bell amongst others before them). Juju is probably going to walk too.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The Cowboys aren't paying big money to their wrs relative to the rest of the league, and I don't think anyone is arguing paying big money to all 3 wrs. Lamb is on the cheap for 3 more years, which is fantastic. These wrs aren't stopping them from having talent elsewhere on the team, just like having highly paid skill position players hasn't stopped the chiefs, as you noted.

Yes I believe the Chiefs are a good example of a team that has invested heavily in offensive weapons and has had success. The Steelers, on the other hand, are probably not the best example, since they're famous for not paying their non-qb skill position players (Brown and Bell amongst others before them). Juju is probably going to walk too.

....their WRs aren't the strength of the team though lol That's the entire point. Yes, Kelce and Hill are great and look even better since they have a generational QB. But that's not the point of this thread.

The Chiefs are an all-around great team, they weren't in 2018 when their defense was weak and that's why they failed to get to the Super Bowl when Brady went wild on them. The strength of the Chiefs is the QB. The criticism in this thread is that our team is lacking in important areas and the skill positions are the strong point. Now, can you name a team that won a Super Bowl with their WRs being the strength? Again, the Chiefs won last year when 1. Mahomes played great football (as always) and the defense stepped up when it didn't in 2018.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Oh, and another thing, Patrick Mahomes was sacked a grand total of 22 times this season with nearly 600 drop backs. That's even without their best offensive lineman.

In comparison, Dak was sacked 10 times in 4 and a half games. So yeah, let's stop comparing what we currently have to the Chiefs. The Chiefs are built differently.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I personally think it’s really odd to have the strength of your team as wide receivers....doesn’t make a lot of since to me to have so much draft capital tied up there but it is....

I can’t recall any good playoffs teams that had the WRs as their best unit

Tory Holt, Isaac Bruce, Az-Zahir Harkim, and Ricky Proehl ring a bell? Greatest Show on Turf?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Frankly Drew Pearson, Tony Hill, Butch Johnson and Golden Richards were not slobs

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Tory Holt, Isaac Bruce, Az-Zahir Harkim, and Ricky Proehl ring a bell? Greatest Show on Turf?

Rams had a top 5 defense that year, Torry Holt himself gave them credit. The Super Bowl was a 23 to 16 victory over the Titans with the defense coming up with one of the most iconic stops.