Stuff I learned today

kskboys

Reaction score
I saw an interesting documentary on the role of tobacco in America. People tend to think that America was built on slavery or cotton, but the reality is America succeeded because of tobacco. Not only did multiple early settlements fail in the early days, but only 1 took hold after one man chose to plant and grow tobacco instead of food crops. He used tobacco to trade with Europe and made enough money to allow his early settlement to prosper.

Then, during the revolution, the colonies borrowed money from France to finance the war. America used tobacco as collateral to secure the loan because tobacco was a valuable commodity back then. Without this money, there is no way the revolution could have succeeded. Smoking tobacco was very popular in Europe back then.
Columbus never made it to mainland America. The entire Plymouth Rock story is a myth!!!!!

Big_D

Reaction score
Columbus never made it to mainland America. The entire Plymouth Rock story is a myth!!!!!

Christopher Columbus made it to the Bahamas and South America after that. Plymouth Rock was the pilgrims on the Mayflower at a later date. They did in fact land in what is currently Cape Cod Massachusetts. The rock itself is just a tourist attraction.

kskboys

Reaction score
Christopher Columbus made it to the Bahamas and South America after that. Plymouth Rock was the pilgrims on the Mayflower at a later date. They did in fact land in what is currently Cape Cod Massachusetts. The rock itself is just a tourist attraction.
Good stuff!!!!!

Yup, I should've said the Pilgrims never landed at Plymouth Rock!!!!!!!!

Columbus never made it to the mainland, that's what it was!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
You mean Columbus really wasn’t a Pilgrim?!
The Pilgrims were a rowdy, drinking, swearing bunch. Only a very small percentage of them were extremely religious, despite what has been portrayed in our history books.

They talked about sex free and easy, as people talk about rain chances. If a boy liked a girl, he was allowed to stay overnight w/ her. Bundling. If he didn't like "it", he went on his way and nothing was ever said. Unless she got preggers, I'm sure!!!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The Pilgrims were a rowdy, drinking, swearing bunch. Only a very small percentage of them were extremely religious, despite what has been portrayed in our history books.

They talked about sex free and easy, as people talk about rain chances. If a boy liked a girl, he was allowed to stay overnight w/ her. Bundling. If he didn't like "it", he went on his way and nothing was ever said. Unless she got preggers, I'm sure!!!
You're thinking of the Patriots...Gronk, mostly.

paladin

Reaction score
In the earliest days of The Macy's Thanksgiving parade.... the big balloons were released, to merely fly away, at the end of the parade.
If you found one, you got a $25 reward

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
It seems like there was a time that every movie trailer had the phrase "In a World......", it's even become a meme. The first time that phrase was used in a movie trailer was Mad Max 2 "The Road Warrior" Seems fitting......

"In a world without gas....."

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It seems like there was a time that every movie trailer had the phrase "In a World......", it's even become a meme. The first time that phrase was used in a movie trailer was Mad Max 2 "The Road Warrior" Seems fitting......

"In a world without gas....."

Classic!

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I've heard that tourist attraction is incredibly underwhelming at that. It's a small rock. lol

HungryLion

Reaction score
I saw an interesting documentary on the role of tobacco in America. People tend to think that America was built on slavery or cotton, but the reality is America succeeded because of tobacco. Not only did multiple early settlements fail in the early days, but only 1 took hold after one man chose to plant and grow tobacco instead of food crops. He used tobacco to trade with Europe and made enough money to allow his early settlement to prosper.

Then, during the revolution, the colonies borrowed money from France to finance the war. America used tobacco as collateral to secure the loan because tobacco was a valuable commodity back then. Without this money, there is no way the revolution could have succeeded. Smoking tobacco was very popular in Europe back then.
Not to get too into the weeds. But who do you think planted, picked and prepared the tobacco?

Creeper

Reaction score
Not to get too into the weeds. But who do you think planted, picked and prepared the tobacco?
There is no doubt that in some states slaves helped tobacco farmers, but that misses the point. The point is tobacco became a very lucrative product and it became so during the early settlements before the slave trade. As I stated, tobacco was instrumental in the success of early settlements after most early settlements failed when farmers tried to grow other crops.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
I just read an artice on CNN about a family of four that sold their home, bought an RV and are living as the wind takes them. Then I read this line....

Schooling from the road​

Last year the McGraths sold their 200 square feet, five-bedroom house in a developed Phoenix neighborhood for $400,000, as well as their cars and moved into the RV, which is pulled by a truck.

Let me say that if they lived in a five Bedroom 200 square foot home, then wherever they live now has got to be an improvement over that cracker box.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I just read an artice on CNN about a family of four that sold their home, bought an RV and are living as the wind takes them. Then I read this line....

Schooling from the road​

Last year the McGraths sold their 200 square feet, five-bedroom house in a developed Phoenix neighborhood for $400,000, as well as their cars and moved into the RV, which is pulled by a truck.

Let me say that if they lived in a five Bedroom 200 square foot home, then wherever they live now has got to be an improvement over that cracker box.
Yeah, they must've been living in a mall shoe store.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I actually heard this a few days ago, but the most used song in movie soundtracks is MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This"

cant-touch-this-mc-hammer.gif