Stuff I learned today

FloridaRob

Reaction score
I also learned that people that drive jeeps have ducks on their dashboard because people that like their jeep leave the ducks on their hood in appreciation for the jeep. That is strange for sure. Who drives around with ducks to gift in their car.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I learned Saturday morning that losing a Pet is tough as all get out. I have had pets in the past but they all died on their own when I was not there and we usually did not have them long. We purchased a Bichon Frise in May 2005 for my grandson who was four at the time. The dog lived with us the past 18 years and was pretty much my dog. No matter where I was in the house, he was right at my feet. He slept to my side of the bed. The last few years he has gotten older, lost most of his hearing and all of his sight but he still knew his way around the house. We always said we would put him down when he could not eat on his own or drink on his own. Well, the last few months he could not do either so we would hand feed him his food, (typically chic fil A nuggets or the new KFC nuggets-he loved them) and we would also hold him at the sink to drink his water. We thought it was the least we could do for all the love he gave us. He has been going down and knew the time was getting near but hoped he would die on his own without us having to do it. Friday evening he had a seizure about 5:30. This one lasted at least 3 minutes which was longer than any other seizure he has ever had. He came out of it a couple of hours later but was still lethargic and weak. I gave him water at midnight and I brought him to bed and hoped he would be better in the morning. At 3:00 that morning he had another one. My wife and I decided he had suffered enough, picked him up in his blanket and brought him to the Doggie ER. They put him down at 3:45 Saturday morning. My grandson was here for the weekend and it was incredibly sad. My wife can't stop crying. I never knew you could love a pet like that. RIP Snoopy Jelly Bean-18 years 3 months.
You had a long time together, and by the sound of it, you gave that munchkin one hell of a great life! Just so you know, it's not disrespecting his memory to think only of the good times, and smile.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
You had a long time together, and by the sound of it, you gave that munchkin one hell of a great life! Just so you know, it's not disrespecting his memory to think only of the good times, and smile.
I'm currently about to go through a separation.
If anyone remembers, I'm a huge dog guy and mourned the passing of my #1 brother Mugsy after 18 years.

I can't take my boys where I'm going and it's eating me alive.

I need some copium. And lots of it.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If anyone remembers, I'm a huge dog guy and mourned the passing of my #1 brother Mugsy after 18 years.

I had to give my first German Shepherd (Blackjack) up when my then girlfriend and I move to a horse farm in Maine. It sucked, but it was easier than the way things ended with my second one (Duncan). It helped that I gave him to my sister.

One of the most heartwarming things I've ever experienced is when I came to visit them about six months after I moved. Blackjack saw me and ran upstairs. At first I was worried that he was mad, but he ran back downstairs and gave me the rawhide bone I'd given him before I left...still unchewed.

Corso

Reaction score
I had to give my first German Shepherd (Blackjack) up when my then girlfriend and I move to a horse farm in Maine. It sucked, but it was easier than the way things ended with my second one (Duncan). It helped that I gave him to my sister.

One of the most heartwarming things I've ever experienced is when I came to visit them about six months after I moved. Blackjack saw me and ran upstairs. At first I was worried that he was mad, but he ran back downstairs and gave me the rawhide bone I'd given him before I left...still unchewed.
Damn that's... damn.

Creeper

Reaction score

It is a horrible feeling. I still cannot get the memory of taking our little girl into the vet when she could no longer stand up. The images of her looking up at me in the car make me well up to this day, 10 years later. I love dogs too. They become part of the family and losing a pet is like losing a family member.

We have a rescue now that we got after our last rescue had to be put down. Winnie is old now and struggling. Her eyesight is shot. Her hearing is shot and I fear she is in pain, although she never complains. My fear is that we will need to do it again soon. I do not want to face that again. But I know, she will not be our last because we love them so much.

We share you pain, man. I hope they are all in heaven waiting for us to return to them.

Corso

Reaction score
It is a horrible feeling. I still cannot get the memory of taking our little girl into the vet when she could no longer stand up. The images of her looking up at me in the car make me well up to this day, 10 years later. I love dogs too. They become part of the family and losing a pet is like losing a family member.

We have a rescue now that we got after our last rescue had to be put down. Winnie is old now and struggling. Her eyesight is shot. Her hearing is shot and I fear she is in pain, although she never complains. My fear is that we will need to do it again soon. I do not want to face that again. But I know, she will not be our last because we love them so much.

We share you pain, man. I hope they are all in heaven waiting for us to return to them.
Me too brother. Me too. Warm and loving vibes to you, yours and especially Winnie.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I learned that the VA facilities and Doctors are pretty darn good vs the horror stories you hear about in some areas.
Must depend on where you are. I've covered that issue. And it's terrible, and I'm not really a rah rah guy for veterans. It's just a bad deal.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
After our little guy died we had the vet take care of the cremation. I wanted him home to put in my casket when I go. I was doing an inspection on a house in a city tem Niles from where I live. On my way home I noticed a pet cremation van in front of me. I had never noticed them before. I thought about my little guy as I followed that van back to my area. I turned off the road and about 20 minutes later the vet called me to say they had his remains. I realized I had followed my little friend back home.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Derek Jeter sold his home in Tampa a few years ago for $22,000,000. I did an appraisal last week on a house about a block away from his and used his house sale as a comparable. I looked at the photos (google 58 Bahama Circle, Tampa FL if you want to look at it) and have to admit it was one of the best quality homes I have ever seen. It is over 22,000,00 sf of living area and amazing features. When I was working the report up I saw the current owners have decided to demolish it and have pulled a permit. I dont know how much it cost to demo a house of this size but if it is 2 million, these owners will probably break the lots up and sale them individually for a total greater than 30 million. Why didnt i think of that. Some people just have screw you money. Must be nice.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Derek Jeter sold his home in Tampa a few years ago for $22,000,000. I did an appraisal last week on a house about a block away from his and used his house sale as a comparable. I looked at the photos (google 58 Bahama Circle, Tampa FL if you want to look at it) and have to admit it was one of the best quality homes I have ever seen. It is over 22,000,00 sf of living area and amazing features. When I was working the report up I saw the current owners have decided to demolish it and have pulled a permit. I dont know how much it cost to demo a house of this size but if it is 2 million, these owners will probably break the lots up and sale them individually for a total greater than 30 million. Why didnt i think of that. Some people just have screw you money. Must be nice.
I'm guessing that number is supposed to be 22,000 sf. So, $1000 per sf...Not bad, if you have more dollars than sense.

kskboys

Reaction score
Gene Hackman was under consideration for the role of Mike Brady on the Brady Bunch
His previous big role was as Clyde Barrow's brother in Bonnie & Clyde
(he was nominated for an Academy for that performance)
But I suppose the difference between the two roles was too much for the casting director
Fonzie(Henry Winkler) was offered the lead role in "Grease" and turned it down.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Fonzie(Henry Winkler) was offered the lead role in "Grease" and turned it
I read he didn’t want to get typecast.

Other famous roles I’ve read people turned down:
  • Will Smith as Neo in Matrix instead of Keanu Reeves. He admitted he would have stunk it up.
  • Other coin, David Schwimmer, the nerdy guy from Friends turned down Men In Black which is what made Will Smith so huge.
  • Sean Connery as Gandalf in LOTR Trilogy. Allegedly, revenue share was so good he would have made $300-$400 million but he didn’t understand the role. Really? The same guy with a girlfriend names ***** Galore and starring in Highlander, Time Bandits, Darby O’Gill and the Little People couldn’t grasp Gandalf?
  • Harrison Ford turned down a ton of large franchises. Most of Spielberg’s other movies like Jurassic Park and Schindler’s List. Tom Clancy franchise which he eventually did but could have started it off with Hunt for Red October.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
I'm guessing that number is supposed to be 22,000 sf. So, $1000 per sf...Not bad, if you have more dollars than sense.
Yea, 22k sf. Not bad except every other house in the past 3 years sold close to 2k per sf. Can you say overimprovement. The extra 12000 sf added nothing.

Creeper

Reaction score
I saw an interesting documentary on the role of tobacco in America. People tend to think that America was built on slavery or cotton, but the reality is America succeeded because of tobacco. Not only did multiple early settlements fail in the early days, but only 1 took hold after one man chose to plant and grow tobacco instead of food crops. He used tobacco to trade with Europe and made enough money to allow his early settlement to prosper.

Then, during the revolution, the colonies borrowed money from France to finance the war. America used tobacco as collateral to secure the loan because tobacco was a valuable commodity back then. Without this money, there is no way the revolution could have succeeded. Smoking tobacco was very popular in Europe back then.