Stupid Sportscenter

Reed

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
They overdid it with Both Owens and Bush both during the game and after. I turned it off and switched over to watch Babe on channel 11. He was professional and objective as always and made many more valid points about both teams than ESPN did. Even though his show was very much home town Cowboys based he gave appropriate credit to the Saints for the few things they did right and pointed out some of the things that the Cowboys need to improve on. That is the kind of objectivity that ESPN needs to show...especially since they are a national (and therefore supposed to be neutral) program.

At least I don't feel alone in my opinion. I took a class at newhouse in syracuse on this very issue, objectivity. In case you don't know, newhouse is one of the top if not top communications schools in the country. In fact a lot of the espn staff and announcers are from this school as well as other major broadcasters, including bob costas. I for one know that they hammer the issue away of objecivey and make it the most important issue of being party of media. In my opion, which reflects the learnigns I have aquired is that ESPN has really strayed away from this important philosophy. My brother has just quit from there and he worked there for four years as a top sales manager. He also went to newhouse at syracuse. He quit because he wanted to get his mba but he also stated that the network is getting out of control and he now calls it speculation center. The worst part is he has tight connections with the CEO and the CPO as they both live in my town and were very fond of him. The CEO is Bodenheimer, his daugher is my age and goes to syracuse with me right now. I am speaking from first hand experience. ESPN is going down the gutter, and lots of the management know it. They're biggest failure is mobile ESPN, they have already lost 100 million dollars plus on the cell phone project.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
1.8 YPC is not entertaining but watching Ware and Henry lay the Dallas COwboys DEfense in reggies face sure is:laugh2: ..Poor Reggie if he thinks he can do 40 yard runs on the Dallas D. it was fun against the TItans, a mediocre Team, but he got as taste of reality today.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
bobtheflob said:
You would think that Reggie Bush was the story of the game. They haven't mentioned that he had 4 carries for 7 yards.

It was the same during the game... Theisman and company went on and on and on about Bush, but he never really seemed to actually DO anything...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
1.8 YPC is entertaining?

ESPN's groupie-like treatment of Bush was nowhere close to the most annoying aspect of their broadcast...

That would be when they left the game altogether to let the governor of Louisiana flap her gums... and flap her gums... and flap her gums... all while the game is going on in a box so small you can''t make out the numbers of the players making plays...

If they had to give that woman that kind of air time, interview her at freakin' halftime...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
bobtheflob said:
You would think that Reggie Bush was the story of the game. They haven't mentioned that he had 4 carries for 7 yards.

:hammer:

he had 2 nice cuts, big deal

longest run...9 yards

mikek3322

Reaction score
Yeah, that interview of the governor really annoyed me. I kept thinking that one of the sportscasters might at least try to synopsize what happened while she monopolized the camera afterwards, but...no such luck. That should have been a halftime or, even better, pregame interview to do the people of Louisiana justice and not rob the fans of watching the game they tuned in to see.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Yea, their Bush inro certainly left something to be desired after the highlights were over...

littlewebs

Everything I type is a lie. Except that. And that.
Reaction score
Guys, the "E" in ESPN does NOT stand for entertainment. It was originally the Eastern Sports Programming Network. It's in the ESPN25 book.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
silverbear said:
ESPN's groupie-like treatment of Bush was nowhere close to the most annoying aspect of their broadcast...

That would be when they left the game altogether to let the governor of Louisiana flap her gums... and flap her gums... and flap her gums... all while the game is going on in a box so small you can''t make out the numbers of the players making plays...

If they had to give that woman that kind of air time, interview her at freakin' halftime...

I totally agree with you here Silverbear. I thought I was watching a Feed the Children fundraiser for those in other countries. I quickly realized that it was not when there was no toll free number flashing on the bottom of the screen.

ESPN is just terrible when they do coverage of MNF. They would constantly show Thighman and his merry boys in the box constantly and kept straying away from the actual game.

Some please tell ESPN we dont care about people rambling on and on.....we want to see football.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Reed said:
I cant handle sportscenter, it has become propoganda instead of objective reporting. Which by the way is the new form of media in america. I feel it is terrible for the people. It first started with cable news and has finally progessed over to espn. I can't even watch anymore, they just make up stories and use any small thing to make it big. Just like how New york times used false photos to portray more damage than there actually was in lebanon, same with reuters. It is sad; someone has to hold them accountable, and that someone is us becuase the government has no power over them, only the people. It has really pushed me to the limit to the point where I might start doing something about it. Report the facts and dont speculate just to get veiwership, and stop portraying peoples opinion as objective fact, report them as your anaylist opinion, it;s just not right nor proper.

corporate media and the government are bedfellows.

since the days of william randolph hearst media moguls have made presidents through huge campaign contributions and biased reporting.

take the current war reporting you get in your local paper. almost all the content consists of quotes attributable to "government official" or "high-ranking government official". reporters seem to get lazier every year. instead of ferreting out facts - most act like stenos merely parroting the "official government version" of events. and these much-quoted suits are usually far removed from ground zero. they tend to de-humanize events like war and reduce it to convenient and often incorrect numbers. they're like soulless accountants.

the best sources for war news are the so-called "common people" involved. actual frontline combatants and the civilians caught up in the maelstrom.

but the accomodations are better in the rear - close to the generals and the dark suits and power ties. so order another cocktail and transcribe the latest official statement verbatim. and call yourself a reporter.

it's sickening.

go out of your way to access as many independent news sources as possible. BBC News will get ya closer to the truth. in houston check out radio stations KPFT 90.1 and KTRU 91.7. a lot of independent journalists weigh in and some are real heavyweights. you may wade thru some extreme left views but just remember....

the truth is always somewhere in the middle.

Scotman

Reaction score
I was at a school board meeting and missed the first half. When I watched the ESPN report after the game, I thought that Bush had torn us up. I really did. I was wondering how in the world we held them scoreless for so long with him running rampant.

That's just bad reporting whether it is for entertainment or not. 4 carries, 7 yards. If he were a Cowboy this entire board would be calling him a bust.

JPM

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
1.8 YPC is entertaining?

Yes, watching our D knock him down was very entertaining to me.
I'm guessing we have to sit thru his college highlights for the entire year too.

jman

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
:hammer:

he had 2 nice cuts, big deal

longest run...9 yards

So why didn't they show all his rushes that were for losses...one for 9 yrds and 6 for a minus -2 yrds.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
bobtheflob said:

I'm glad someone else noticed this.

I like Reggie Bush and all, but that was soooo much bragging on a guy who ran for seven yards on four carries.

They were talking about how smooth he cut and on which leg and yet he didn't get anywhere.

:laugh2:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ESPN had the Bush segment after the game already planned as they were doing a focus on the saints they will do a focus on the broncos tonight. You guys get a little too sensitive about ESPN. By the way anyone notice how much praise the hated Joe Thiesman was giving Bledsoe and the Cowboys? This ideal that they hate us I think it a bit far fetched.

Reed

Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:
corporate media and the government are bedfellows.

since the days of william randolph hearst media moguls have made presidents through huge campaign contributions and biased reporting.

take the current war reporting you get in your local paper. almost all the content consists of quotes attributable to "government official" or "high-ranking government official". reporters seem to get lazier every year. instead of ferreting out facts - most act like stenos merely parroting the "official government version" of events. and these much-quoted suits are usually far removed from ground zero. they tend to de-humanize events like war and reduce it to convenient and often incorrect numbers. they're like soulless accountants.

the best sources for war news are the so-called "common people" involved. actual frontline combatants and the civilians caught up in the maelstrom.

but the accomodations are better in the rear - close to the generals and the dark suits and power ties. so order another cocktail and transcribe the latest official statement verbatim. and call yourself a reporter.

it's sickening.

go out of your way to access as many independent news sources as possible. BBC News will get ya closer to the truth. in houston check out radio stations KPFT 90.1 and KTRU 91.7. a lot of independent journalists weigh in and some are real heavyweights. you may wade thru some extreme left views but just remember....

the truth is always somewhere in the middle.

good post man, another website that tries to find the truth and post lots of news sources is drudgereport.com

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Da Hammer said:
i was just thinking the same thing, instead of opening with how well the Cowboys played today they instead talk bout Reggie Bush's mediocre game and they act like he dominated

It was hilarious listening to Stuart Scott squeezing every bit of hyperbole (sp) out of a 4 for 7 night .... "and did you see the ridiculous 7 yard run". Yeah, it's ridiculous how you make a 7 yard run sound like he cured paralysis.