Twitter: Sturm comparing Dak downfield completion percentage with other league QBs

Mr_437

Reaction score
I struggle to put much credibility in what PFF says. People keep bringing over these PFF stats that show Dak played well but then when you look at their overall PFF rating, they had like 20th.
Just figured it was worth a mention. I agree their sketchy on the stats, but their topics n presentation are tops in the game, far as I know.

Regarding Dak, he is that type of QB and that's why there's so much debate over his game. 4th Quarter he's 2016 Dak...1st 3 Quarters he's average to below average depending.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Sad thing is there are at least a handful of big plays he missed in the passing game, even last year, either by totally missing the WR who was wide open or just air mailing him. I can remember a few Gallup plays, in particular, where a play was there and for whatever reason, it just didn't develop.

Hopefully Dak and Gallup are on the same page this year.

Man, that would be night and day Sydla. It would make all the difference in the world for our Offense.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
You mean the Carson with a 61.7 QB rating on passes 20+ yards versus the Dak with a 107.6 QB Rating?
Dak_Prescott_Meme19.jpg

DFWJC

Reaction score
6th in deep passer rating but 19th in deep attempts. The Dak critics are half right - he doesn't throw deep enough. But the problem is that he should do it more because he's very good at it, which they claim he isn't. OC just wasn't calling enough deep shots.

Since the Cowboys use play action way less than they should, I guess it's obvious that they wouldn't try enough deep shots since those are usually set up by run fakes.

Fun stuff.
This explains a lot--and I assumed given the risk aversion, it was the case-- but at this point, I'm just looking forward to the season.
These threads are wearing me out.
Dak is our QB
Period

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Sad thing is there are at least a handful of big plays he missed in the passing game, even last year, either by totally missing the WR who was wide open or just air mailing him. I can remember a few Gallup plays, in particular, where a play was there and for whatever reason, it just didn't develop.

Hopefully Dak and Gallup are on the same page this year.
Dak definitely missed a few, but they were also a few I would pin on Gallup. Some of that is chemistry together and some just being a rookie and not doing what he was supposed to.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Even this chart is flawed. Dak doesn't throw 90 yard bombs. That 90 yard pass only went 30 yards (which is good) and cooper did all the rest.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I don't really agree with that. Cowboys run a deep route a lot as a matter of design. Dak doesn't throw it a lot because of his mind set IMO. Dak has this going on in his game and you see it all the time. Dak only throws to wide open receivers until the game gets to a point where you have to take chances in order to win. That's just who he is and that is also why he doesn't throw a lot of INTs and takes a lot of sacks. It's not entirely about play calling IMO. I mean, that part can always be improved upon but Dak has to get better at taking advantage of the long ball. He had guys deep last year that he either didn't find or elected not to go to. I'm not a Dak bash guy but I think you gotta be honest in the evaluation of his development. I would love to see him get more comfortable in that part of his game. He would be awesome!

I want to see more variety on deep throws, we basically only have 2 the fly down the sideline or the double move fly down the sideline, but basically it still the same throw. I really want to see a deep post, deep corner and deep cross added, those are easier to throw and much easier for the WR to track. Makes it much easier for the WR to run under than having to track it over their shoulder or head. Those might also keep Dak from holding it too long, he can let it fly a little sooner since the WR can pick up the ball in the air a little quicker.

sean10mm

Reaction score
"Run to set up the deep pass on play action" is super basic football, but the Cowboys hardly used play action in spite of being so run heavy. You can't seriously argue that's not a factor in their lack of deep attempts. They should be up there with the Rams in terms of almost every run faking pass and almost every pass faking run. It's just smart football.

Hell, the basic idea was smart football in 1992.

I want to see more variety on deep throws, we basically only have 2 the fly down the sideline or the double move fly down the sideline, but basically it still the same throw. I really want to see a deep post, deep corner and deep cross added, those are easier to throw and much easier for the WR to track. Makes it much easier for the WR to run under than having to track it over their shoulder or head. Those might also keep Dak from holding it too long, he can let it fly a little sooner since the WR can pick up the ball in the air a little quicker.

Also this, if you only run deep 2 patterns the QB is going to often be CORRECT to not pull the trigger downfield, because the D will always be all over it.

None of this is to say that Dak is Marino 2.0 here, just that the nature of how the Cowboys called plays stymied the deep passing game before the ball was even snapped.

Eanwen

Reaction score
I don't really agree with that. Cowboys run a deep route a lot as a matter of design. Dak doesn't throw it a lot because of his mind set IMO. Dak has this going on in his game and you see it all the time. Dak only throws to wide open receivers until the game gets to a point where you have to take chances in order to win. That's just who he is and that is also why he doesn't throw a lot of INTs and takes a lot of sacks. It's not entirely about play calling IMO. I mean, that part can always be improved upon but Dak has to get better at taking advantage of the long ball. He had guys deep last year that he either didn't find or elected not to go to. I'm not a Dak bash guy but I think you gotta be honest in the evaluation of his development. I would love to see him get more comfortable in that part of his game. He would be awesome!

Hopefully with Kitna in his ear he'll take more chances downfield. He was aggressive on one play against the Skins that ended up being an int. I wasn't upset at the time because I was glad he at least took a chance.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
6th in deep passer rating but 19th in deep attempts. The Dak critics are half right - he doesn't throw deep enough. But the problem is that he should do it more because he's very good at it, which they claim he isn't. OC just wasn't calling enough deep shots.

Since the Cowboys use play action way less than they should, I guess it's obvious that they wouldn't try enough deep shots since those are usually set up by run fakes.

Fun stuff.
I agree - Linehan (and Garrett) had the conservative schemes going. It was like pressing the accelerator and the brake pedal at the same time. Sound and fury signifying nothing.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Even this chart is flawed. Dak doesn't throw 90 yard bombs. That 90 yard pass only went 30 yards (which is good) and cooper did all the rest.
It's not flawed, it's measuring the minimum of 20 air yds, but it's also charting how long each play went for. If you look at the 30+yd chart Dak's long is 75 yds, it just means it traveled at least 30 yards, but the play went for 75. It's charting multiple stats of passes of 20+ air yards, like when it says 771 pass yds, it doesn't mean 771 yards in the air.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Too bad Carson isn’t on this list for some odd reason, this could turn into yet another Wentz vs Dak thread.

Wentz is on the list.

Wentz had 2x as many INTs as Dak despite only about 80% as many attempts.

Dak
Completion% 35.2
Yards 771
Yards/Att 14.3
TD 7
TD% 13
INT 2
Rating 107.6

Wentz
Completion% 36.4
Yards 595
Yards/Att 13.5
TD 2
TD% 4.5
INT 4
Rating 61.7

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Dak actually had the highest number of throws into tight window percentage, so I would disagree that he only throws to wide open receivers lol.....
That's a scheme stat and personnel stat, not a QB stat.